Fuel Injector Cleaner+Winter Stored Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to put away my summer car away for the winter till May of next year. I do end up starting her once per week and letting it run for half an hour or so.

Would it be OK to put in some fuel injector cleaner seeing as the car is a 99 with 24K miles and doesn't get driven much even in it's prime summer months?

If so, can someone point me directly to a product that truly works?

If you are idling for half hour a week that's probably not great for your motor oil.

If I was in your place I'd put a UCL in the tank so the injectors, fuel pump, and UC have some oil on them to prevent rust.

Last edited:
You are better off not starting the car. When my son would deploy to Afghanistan his car would sit unattended for 6 months or more. What I had him do was this. Get a qt of MMO drive to the gas station and pour the entire qt of MMO into the tank and fill it. Make sure the tires were inflated to about 5 psi below the max, then take the car for at least a 30 minute ride. Park the car change the oil and filter. Remove the battery.

He'd make sure the car was washed and waxed before hand. Once parked he'd cover the interior with white sheets, and block the air intake and tail pipe so nothing would make a home in there.

Idling a car for half an hour in cold weather does more harm than good. You're better off parking it and leaving it. If you have to start it, take it for a half hour drive. Three deployments and no problems what so ever using that method. JMO

Originally Posted By: sunfire
I like demarpaint's plan. Just don't forget to unblock the air intake and tail pipe.

Good point!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
You are better off not starting the car. When my son would deploy to Afghanistan his car would sit unattended for 6 months or more. What I had him do was this. Get a qt of MMO drive to the gas station and pour the entire qt of MMO into the tank and fill it. Make sure the tires were inflated to about 5 psi below the max, then take the car for at least a 30 minute ride. Park the car change the oil and filter. Remove the battery.

He'd make sure the car was washed and waxed before hand. Once parked he'd cover the interior with white sheets, and block the air intake and tail pipe so nothing would make a home in there.

Idling a car for half an hour in cold weather does more harm than good. You're better off parking it and leaving it. If you have to start it, take it for a half hour drive. Three deployments and no problems what so ever using that method. JMO

A quart? Thats waaaaay more then the recommended dosage.

Originally Posted By: DreamerGT
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

A quart? Thats waaaaay more then the recommended dosage.

Yes it is, but our intention was to store the car for my son's deployment. It was something I did years ago when I stored my van.

NAS Whitbey is on the Pudget Sound, which is salt water, and very damp and rainy. Perfect conditions for flash rusting the cyl walls of an engine if it sits long enough. I spoke to Rich Kelly from Turtle Wax before my son's first deployment and he told me there were people doing just what I suggested with MMO for storing a car for that period of time.

What the mega dose of MMO will do is coat the cylinder walls, pistons and rings, keeping things from sticking and flash rusting. If the car had a carb, I would have told him to use MMO to fog the engine, which would have been very easy to do. With FI it isn't as easy, but the massive dose of MMO was good enough.

Don't run it while in storage.
You could use MMO or SeaFoam; both clean the fuel system and both help with fuel stabilization. I'd add Stabil anyway though.
Add a little extra air to the tires, as has been suggested and remove and charge the battery and put it in the basement or other dry cool place.
Leave it alone.
My 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back