fuel injection cleaning...BG vs Wynns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

At 47,400 miles, I am considering getting fuel injection cleaning
service performed on my 2006 Elantra GLS.

Which system, BG or Wynns, is considered the best?

Or is this service a complete waste of money? Is this service
offer a more complete cleaning than adding a bottle of Chevron
Techron to my tank?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd say it's waste of money - do you have a specific problem you are trying to fix?

At only 47k miles, you shouldn't have a big build-up to deal with...I'd just add a bottle of Techron, lke you mention, to 1-2 tanks of fuel, and you should be good to go.

If you are 'adventurous', you could try to Seafoam your car...not hard, and agian, much much cheaper!

Redline SI-1 is one of the best fuel injector cleaners on the market. $10 on Amazon, practically the same price as the Techron 20gal. treatment and it is almost half PEA.

It think the Techron is BOGO right now at AAP if you get there today or tomorrow. The deal ends soon. AZ also has BOGO.

Last edited:
chubbs1 said:
Redline SI-1 is one of the best fuel injector cleaners on the market. $10 on Amazon, practically the same price as the Techron 20gal. treatment and it is almost half PEA.

+1.....RL Sl-1 might be the best fuel system cleaner available. I use it once or twice a year (just before my oil change....and make sure I have a nice long highway run after putting it into the gas tank.

Another excellent FSC choice would be Gumont Regane....which can be bought at WM. Buy the 'High Mileage' formula which has extra PEA....for a little over $5 at WM.

Originally Posted By: flinter
Hi,

Which system, BG or Wynns, is considered the best?

Or is this service a complete waste of money? Is this service
offer a more complete cleaning than adding a bottle of Chevron
Techron to my tank?

Thanks

If you have a problem with clogged or poor spray patterns from your fuel injectors then a cleaning via the fuel rail will do some good. Better is to pull the injectors and have them cleaned in a machine.

I saw an injector cleaning machine at a local NAPA, so maybe they do it locally now.

Otherwise any fuel injector cleaner that is PEA based will keep the injectors clean.

Last edited:
No problems at all, the engine seems to run smooth, but was thinking of using it more as a preventative maintenance service
to help keep the injectors clean.

Isnt it better to do this now, as opposed to waiting until
the car actually does start running/idling rough??

Last edited:
No problems at all, the engine seems to run smooth, but was thinking of using it more as a preventative maintenance service
to help keep the injectors clean.

Isnt it better to do this now, as opposed to waiting until
the car actually does start running/idling rough??

Use a bottle of Redline Fuel System Cleaner once a year or before your OCI.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: chubbs1

+1.....RL SI-1 might be the best fuel system cleaner available. I use it once or twice a year (just before my oil change....and make sure I have a nice long highway run after putting it into the gas tank.

Another excellent FSC choice would be Gumont Regane....which can be bought at WM. Buy the 'High Mileage' formula which has extra PEA....for a little over $5 at WM.

There, fixed it for you.

+1 on the Redline but I'm not sure about the 44K being any stronger, in fact i think it may be a good bit weaker. PEA is no longer listed in the MSDS.
I have some 44K from about 8 yrs ago here got when i bought out the local dealers inventory in 2008 and some new 44K from the BG rep a few weeks ago. They look and smell totally different. The old stuff smells similar to Redline, the new stuff smells a little like Zippo lighter fluid.

Running a full bottle of Redline at first and then running 1oz for every 10gal of fuel is the key to keeping injectors like new.
Letting them get dirty and trying to clean them by massive dosing is akin to neglecting the engine oil, letting the engine sludge up then adding chemicals to clean it when you do an OC.

If you use a reputable brand of injector cleaner ever so often (like at each oil change) you shouldn't have injector problems. If you do have problems (sluggish performance, what feels like missing), the over the counter products seem to work just fine, imo.

The type of injector spray pattern needs to taken into account.
The OP has IIRC a 2.0 multi valve engine meaning the injector will spray 2 distinct individual fine spray patterns, one at each intake valve.

This type is much more difficult to clean than a unit with a single heavy spay pattern. It's much easier to keep them clean in the first place.
The problem with in tank and through the rail cleaning systems is the results are not verifiable, one valve could be getting a nice spray while the other is getting a stream.
This may not be noticeable to the driver but combustion efficiency is lowered which may result in excessive fuel dilution and increased emissions.

Normally particles in the fuel system that find their way past the injectors fine mesh filter are small enough to pass the needle and seat but if left to accumulate they can bond together and actually partially plug the injector. At this point there maybe some noticeable performance issues, unfortunately for some injectors this is beyond the point that an in tank or through the rail system can clean with any reliability.

Originally Posted By: Donald
What about the older TBI? Can they be cleaned like normal injectors?

I wonder about this too. Certainly it's easy enough to check the spray pattern on these though. I will say mine have over 370k miles on them and the spray pattern looks the same as it ever has. That is to say, as well as 10-14 psi can manage.

Originally Posted By: Trav
+1 on the Redline but I'm not sure about the 44K being any stronger, in fact i think it may be a good bit weaker. PEA is no longer listed in the MSDS.
I have some 44K from about 8 yrs ago here got when i bought out the local dealers inventory in 2008 and some new 44K from the BG rep a few weeks ago. They look and smell totally different. The old stuff smells similar to Redline, the new stuff smells a little like Zippo lighter fluid.

Running a full bottle of Redline at first and then running 1oz for every 10gal of fuel is the key to keeping injectors like new.
Letting them get dirty and trying to clean them by massive dosing is akin to neglecting the engine oil, letting the engine sludge up then adding chemicals to clean it when you do an OC.

Inconclusive, since not all ingredients are required to be listed in the MSDS. Too bad there isn't an easy way to test these products for effectiveness.

BG > Wynn's anyday, BG actually seems to put in the research to develop their products, makes reasonable recommendations, and has the professionalism to go with it.

Yes they can but no need really. This type has a very large nozzle making them very difficult to plug up even partially.
In tank cleaners work really well with this type.
Originally Posted By: The critic
Inconclusive, since not all ingredients are required to be listed in the MSDS. Too bad there isn't an easy way to test these products for effectiveness.

Yep thats true enough, still it would be nice if BG would publish the percentage of PEA if it is still used.
Still IMO Redline is at least equal to BG even if BG was 100% PEA which we know it isn't at over $20 for a 12oz can you can get two 15oz bottles of redline for $20 which does contain 30-50% PEA.

At over 100,000 miles on my 2006 Elantra it's never had a fuel system cleaning done or added anything other than gasoline (ethanol blend) to the tank. It still runs fine and has never had a fuel related (or any other) issue.

The only time I've ever needed to add anything to a fuel tank was on my 1999 Dodge pickup that wasn't run for a year before I purchased it. I had it about 2 months and it had a code for the #7 injector, which running a bottle of Techron through it corrected. The CEL hasn't returned in 17 months.

Unless you have a problem that you're trying to cure most additives are a waste of money.

If you don't use top tier fuels regularly, you can have a serious carbon build up problem in 10,000 miles or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back