Fuel Diluted Ecoboost: HDEO 5W30 vs PCMO 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have almost come to the end of my quest for an oil for my fuel diluted Ecoboost engine...as many know these engines tend to have an issue with camphasers. The turbo engine seems to dilute the oil to a 5W20.

After much discussion on here and a review of many years of message threads Ive come upon two oil types. Keep in mind my preference is to stick with an API SN + rated oil.

Much of my data comes from Subaru owners threads and UOAs whose turbo engines love to dilute.

#1. PCMO 0W40 like Mobil 1 0W40-FS

Starting CST@100 degrees= 12.8

Pros- Designed specifically for gasoline engines or PCMO
$22 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart for Mobil 1

Cons- Ford might have warranty issues

#2. HDEO 5W30 MultiVehicle like Shell Rotella T6 5W30 MultiVehicle

Starting CST@100 degrees 11.85

Pros- Rated API SN plus/correct viscosity so Ford might not have warranty issues

Cons- A bit more expensive at $28 for 4 quarts and not as easy to get as Mobil 1 0W-40

Its a combo oil meant for two different engines so it lacks moly. Not truly designed for gas engines but a compromise between 2 technologies.

So what do you think?

Last edited:
Rotella T6, heavy duty applications in CK/E6/MB 285.51 specs for shear stability in extended OCI.
short/normal OCI, don't bother.

I wanted to add...since Mobil 1 0W40 is so cheap and available it wouldnt be expensive to stick with a 5-10k OCI.

I know about T6 5W40 but wish to use only API SN+ rated oils.

Used to run M1 0w40 in my 2015 ecoboost … knew I was pushing close on the calcium (not sure current dose) but was running mid grade Exxon and Shell … it ran great and quietly on 0w40

Mobil 1 0w-40 is a high SAPS oil and may contribute to intake valve deposit in a TGDI/GDI engine. High calcium as well.

Either Rotella 5w-30, Mobil 1 ESP or the Amsoil Max Duty 5w-30 (very expensive though) would be my recommendations. All should be shear stable, at the thicker side of a 5w-30 and low to mid SAPS.

Ecoboost? You are casting a pretty good sized net. There are Ecoboost V-6 engines and Ecoboost 4 cylinder engines and Ecoboost 3 cylinder engines. There are a few 5w30 oils with starting viscosity at 100C that are 11 and above. I'll give you 3 to start with. There is Mobil 1 original, QSUD and Havoline Pro DS. Are you looking for an approval to run a 40 weight oil? Run it if you like. I have a friend who owns a 2003 F-150 with the 5.4. He has run 15W40 HDEO it's entire life. It at 250,000 miles and getting tired.
Good luck with your pursuit of the perfect oil for the "Ecoboost " engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jbutch
Mobil 1 0w-40 is a high SAPS oil and may contribute to intake valve deposit in a TGDI/GDI engine. High calcium as well.

Either Rotella 5w-30, Mobil 1 ESP or the Amsoil Max Duty 5w-30 (very expensive though) would be my recommendations. All should be shear stable, at the thicker side of a 5w-30 and low to mid SAPS.

Another bonus in mid saps.

Originally Posted by jbutch

You could add to that list ESP 0W40 as well.

The Ecoboost Im talking about is in the F150 but its also in other Ford vehicles too. That is the 3.5 liter V6 Ecoboost. Some years of the 1st generation 3.5 liter V6 Ecoboost have issues but I know it happens in the 2nd generation too. Those issues involve a cold start rattle.

oil is cheap engines are NOT!! people buy costly complex vehicles + want to cheap out on oil!!!!!!!

What year is this ecoboost? Has it 2018 or newer? The reason I ask is Ford added port injection and the intake valve deposits will not be an issue.

Originally Posted by dave1251
There is nothing of benefit to this thread. It only calms the mind to a problem people are seeking but is not there.

What if his oil analysis comes back showing no to minimal oil dilution too ?

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
What year is this ecoboost? Has it 2018 or newer? The reason I ask is Ford added port injection and the intake valve deposits will not be an issue.

I know of a fleet hundred plus F150's with most of the 3.5 Ecoboosts pre 2018. The majority of the vehicles have close to 18000 hours of operation without an engine failure with the cheapest bulk API SN oil 5W30 threads like this can be hilarious.

Its a 2018 and thanks because the Mobil 1 0-40 FS would be perfect at $22 per 5 qt jug.

The other options available are a lot more expensive...

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
There is nothing of benefit to this thread. It only calms the mind to a problem people are seeking but is not there.

What if his oil analysis comes back showing no to minimal oil dilution too ?

Then there is really no point to this thread only looking a problem which does not exist.

I found the problem and now looking for the solution. You are looking at a $82000 1 year old car which was maintained with Valvoline 5W30 Maxlife Full Synthetic every 7000 miles. This car is key to my livery business.

A lot of guys on Youtube in my position.

We all tend to fret more over personal vehicles than fleet vehicles.
I found QSUD was used in my assigned fleet f150 I use over the past year. Didn't really worry about it, because..it was not mine. Made sure the oil level stayed proper and tried to change it at 5-7k Miles.

I know of a fleet hundred plus F150's with most of the 3.5 Ecoboosts pre 2018. The majority of the vehicles have close to 18000 hours of operation without an engine failure with the cheapest bulk API SN oil 5W30 threads like this can be hilarious.

This is a very real problem as my video and a lot of other videos...and posts on forums...suggest. When I brought it to the dealer parts were backordered for 1 month. They told me 1000 other people in front of me! Many dealers everywhere are swamped with this issue.

Im going to use Mobil 1 0W40 with 6000 mile intervals and at $22 per jug I wont need extended intervals.

Anyone who thinks this is not an issue needs a quick visit to Youtube. Its been going on for years.

If the chain were to fail as a result that would wipe out the engine.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it's not a problem and I'm not saying that you don't have this problem but I think it is a very small subset of the overall installed base. I have/had 2 of theses with over 100k on ~10k oil changes and neither one has the issue.

I think the only way to get the chain noise fixed is to have the parts replaced. I don't think oil is your solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back