Ford Ecoboost (F150, Navigator) cold start rattle and oil viscosity

Navi

I have decided to discontinue use of Shell Gas Truck. Sorry BobIsTheOilGuy forum. Ive looked over different UOAs and it seems this oil shears too much. Now Im not an engineer, scientist or doctor and Im just guessing based on internet readings. I think sheering has something to do with the cam phasers going bad. I tip my hat to you guys running 5W40, but Im taking my truck to get the oil changed to Rotella T6 5W30 and after 4500 miles do a Blackstone sample.

Last edited:

Navi

Im going to get the Amsoil sample results in days. Blackstone has it and tommorrow I have the mechanic drain the gas truck oil and put in the T6 5W30. It will be a while until next drain and Blackstone test. So sorry for the wait. It will be a long process. Total time to get results from Blackstone including shipping is 2 weeks.

BeerCan

$50 Site Donor
I have almost 100k worth of uoa on this engine with Castrol 0w40 if you are interested

Originally Posted by kschachn
Can you post those UOAs where it is conclusively shearing as opposed to possible fuel dilution? Blackstone can't tell BTW.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...8k-mi-18-3-5eb-f150-with-12k#Post5182378 Not conclusive by any means, but how much decrease in cSt does 3% fuel cause? I can't do that math LOL In my case, viscosity went from 11.7 to 9.5. I could probably safely assume had I started at a typical 10.7 cSt I would have been sub-grade at this interval.