Fuel Diluted Ecoboost: HDEO 5W30 vs PCMO 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is an old uoa on here with calcium at ~2700 after 9k miles, I know it has probably been reformulated since then, but I personally would have avoided it based on that alone.

I don't think any advice here was going to be heeded anyway. Plus I am confused as well as to why Subaru results a relevant here.

Edit: Just found a UOA with a lot less calcium so you are probably ok there

Last edited:
Regarding dilution effect on cSt.
Is there a rule of thumb about it? Such as 5% fuel will bring cSt down 20%.
(Of course shear plays into it, but it's more nebulous or non-claculable)

I just changed it myself. Didnt want to go to the mechanic and endure the shame of..."you here again". I drove it around the community and this is the quietest smoothest Ive heard out of this engine. I opened up the hood and I couldnt hear any ticking or clicking. It was quieter than before.

Now with the Amsoil 5W30 it was ok, the Shell Gas Truck 5W30 was the worst..there was an audible clicking, and the Rotella T6 5W30 made the engine quiet and smooth. However, by far this is the best its run ever.

Now I did follow Fords suggestions for severe service and look where that got me...1 month of a deadlined car and the engine disected. Camphaser failure. Lots of lost revenue. Etc.

Now I know you guys look at what Ford suggests and say go with that. However I think they are wrong. You need a thicker oil for this beast.

As for oil quality these 5W40 HDEOs produce less iron wear than any 5W30 created. You even have Amsoil admitting it. My only concern was the cats and this HDEO has API SN on the bottle and states it can be put in a gas engine. Thats all I need to know.

Vehicle runs great. I will let you know if anything goes wrong. You can do as you like with your own vehicle and do your own homework just as I did.

Last edited:
Easy there tiger - you just came on BITOG and stated that M1 was quieter ? Well, that's two of us now
wink.gif

Didn't you just put in the multi-vehicle 2 days ago? I know it can be nerve-wracking to have motor issues, but try not to overthink it. The mobil 1one will serve you well, but the other's would as well

First if I am wrong with any of this information I will gladly come back here and state what I was wrong about. So if 10000 miles from now the engine goes south Ill come back here and state such. I dont enjoy bad information on the internet and wish to correct what I post if its wrong.

Yes I did put Shell Rotella T6 5W30 in some time ago but when I saw this oil at Walmart I thought it was most ideal. I was at first on the hunt for a 5W40 but couldnt find one with an API rating. You have the Euro oils but many of those not certified by API. I finally came upon the Rotella T6 combo oil with API SN and it did very well in UOAs so I took the dive.

Now if you go to the Amsoil website you can find whatever you want but its expensive and I wanted to avoid that route. Its great oil but you will pay for it.

I saw this Mobil 1 5W40 oil, flipped it around and its API SN...and it specifically mentions it can be put into gas engines. This is exactly what I was looking for. The Subaru turbo guys had great success with Rotella T6 5W40 and so did a few Ecoboost guys, but with no API rating and the fact Shell even states it cant go into gas engines I didnt want to go that way.

So yes I have been through a few oils but at the start I said I was in experimentation mode. Im confident this will be in the truck for 6000 miles and then at that time will drain and do a UOA.

Cars are my business and I want to get this right to avoid future problems.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time following the logic I'll be honest.
Ford has a spec for your truck but you don't like it.
A lot of the Amsoil has no spec but its great oil but to expensive
Subaru guys don't like their mfg spec either and do like 5w40 so you identify with that.
You found a 5w40 but it did not have a spec for gas vehicles so you didn't like it, even though the Subaru guys do.
You found a 5w40 hdeo that meets basic SN so you purchased it because it had that spec.
You have confirmation bias because the truck "sounds" smoother and that equals lower wear.
You think the UOA will tell you that the oil choice is good/bad for the engine in 10k miles

Even though this sounds snarky I am just posting it because that it what I am seeing from your posts, don't really mean it as snarky. As I posted earlier I use euro oils and hdeo in my EB, but for different reasons.

Originally Posted by Navi
I just changed it myself. Didnt want to go to the mechanic and endure the shame of..."you here again". I drove it around the community and this is the quietest smoothest Ive heard out of this engine. I opened up the hood and I couldnt hear any ticking or clicking. It was quieter than before.

Now with the Amsoil 5W30 it was ok, the Shell Gas Truck 5W30 was the worst..there was an audible clicking, and the Rotella T6 5W30 made the engine quiet and smooth. However, by far this is the best its run ever.

Now I did follow Fords suggestions for severe service and look where that got me...1 month of a deadlined car and the engine disected. Camphaser failure. Lots of lost revenue. Etc.

Now I know you guys look at what Ford suggests and say go with that. However I think they are wrong. You need a thicker oil for this beast.

As for oil quality these 5W40 HDEOs produce less iron wear than any 5W30 created. You even have Amsoil admitting it. My only concern was the cats and this HDEO has API SN on the bottle and states it can be put in a gas engine. Thats all I need to know.

Vehicle runs great. I will let you know if anything goes wrong. You can do as you like with your own vehicle and do your own homework just as I did.

You're confident in your homework I assume? Then go for it. The more you ask questions here and then second guess yourself the more confused you're going to get. Again if you're confident, use the oil you think is best and stop beating yourself up. You seem to do a lot of driving, you'll know in short order if your choice was the right one or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back