Fuel Diluted Ecoboost: HDEO 5W30 vs PCMO 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this was just a small subset why was I put on a 1000 car waiting list for parts?

I know modifications were made on 2016+ Ecoboost 3.5 liters 1st gen but 2nd gen and prior to 2016 seem to have this issue. There are hundreds of message threads on this issue. In fact one guy has a comedic Youtube video of a dozen cold start rattles because the dealer said all the trucks sound like that and he wanted to make sure he had proof.

Originally Posted by Navi
If this was just a small subset why was I put on a 1000 car waiting list for parts?

I know modifications were made on 2016+ Ecoboost 3.5 liters 1st gen but 2nd gen and prior to 2016 seem to have this issue. There are hundreds of message threads on this issue. In fact one guy has a comedic Youtube video of a dozen cold start rattles because the dealer said all the trucks sound like that and he wanted to make sure he had proof.

Ford in the f150 sells like 70,000 of these a month, if only half have the Ecoboost it's still over 1000 a day. They have been out since 2011.

So some people on the internet making a lot of noise still does not indicate a wide spread issue.

Like I said, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying a different oil is not the cure once the problem is detected.

Just so you know I use a non approved oil in my Ecoboost, either Castrol 0w40 and more recently Valvoline 15w40 hdeo. So I am not saying the bulk oil is fine spiel ( not that I disagree)

I'm in the camp of the dilution in theses engines is not the issue, under 5% doesn't even get on my radar. I do feel an oil that handles soot better is warranted and oil that are low in calcium to help prevent lspi should be used.

tl;dr
If you have the rattle oil is not the fix.

So, you are gonna tell us to believe YouTube videos? LOL! What a crock, as at my work we have never had any issues with rattles, etc and we use a 5w30 Dexos 1 gen 2 blend and have since 2006 in all Ford's that spec a 5w20. This thread is way, way overblown. My co worker has a 2017 F 150 and I cut a few of his filters open and he has never had a issue yet to date.

Last edited:
I found the problem and now looking for the solution. You are looking at a $82000 1 year old car which was maintained with Valvoline 5W30 Maxlife Full Synthetic every 7000 miles. This car is key to my livery business.

BINGO! We have found the solution. Synthetic oil in livery service and changing every 7,000 miles! Your problem is not the oil. You are using it too long in the Eco. NO MORE than 5,000 miles. probably safer to change at 3,000 miles. I would be using an SN+/Dex 1 Gen2 conventional and changing it at 3,000 miles. Severe service is what you are doing.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I found the problem and now looking for the solution. You are looking at a $82000 1 year old car which was maintained with Valvoline 5W30 Maxlife Full Synthetic every 7000 miles. This car is key to my livery business.

BINGO! We have found the solution. Synthetic oil in livery service and changing every 7,000 miles! Your problem is not the oil. You are using it too long in the Eco. NO MORE than 5,000 miles. probably safer to change at 3,000 miles. I would be using an SN+/Dex 1 Gen2 conventional and changing it at 3,000 miles. Severe service is what you are doing.

This ^

That many miles per year in NYC not counting the time it sits idling to keep it hot/cool for the guests

This Shell Rotella T6 5W30 MultiVehicle starts out on the thicker side of the 5W30 spectrum at 11.85 CST. Amsoil started out at 10.7 and amazingly didnt dilute past 9.6 in my machine.

The amazing part about the Rotella is how smoothly the truck runs. There was a ticking going on in the right front with Shell Gas Truck which had me worried. So worried I had it drained early. The truck ran ok on the Amsoil but on the Rotella its amazing.

I have a feeling its the naturally thicker viscosity but what do I know? The Subaru folks are a little crazy how they drive their turbo compacts like top end race cars so I thought maybe they dont care about wearing out the cat early on and so they just stick the T6 5W40 in it so their engines wont blow, but this HDEO runs the engine really smooth and strong and no tick.

Im not a casual user of these cars. I put 70000 miles a year on them and I know my truck.

Oil changing is not an artform but a science and thats what oil analysis is for. So saying 3k, 5k, etc is guess work. You have to do what the analysis sheet tells you. So the Blackstone people were correct...the TBN is strong but the viscosity down to 9.6 was too low for me to continue going down that path especially when I just had a camphaser problem. I wouldnt say problem but horror show where they remove the body from the frame and disect the engine. It would have been a $3500 repair out of pocket.

...and not only livery trucks get these issues. There are guys who use the trucks casually and got them way sooner.

9.6cst @ 100c is solidly a 30wt regardless of shear.

Many top tier 30wt oils start at this level

PP 5w30 - 9.5cst
PUP 5w30 - 9.72cst

The issue with your truck is that it is used for severe service duty and it was receiving normal to easy service OCIs

Step back from 7k to 3-5k and shear nor dilution will matter.

I have a Ford Fleet Identification Number and the cars I buy from them have 4 year/150k warranty.

Oil changing is not an artform but a science and thats what oil analysis is for. So saying 3k, 5k, etc is guess work. You have to do what the analysis sheet tells you. So the Blackstone people were correct...the TBN is strong but the viscosity down to 9.6 was too low for me...

If your oil is shearing or fuel diluting to, according to your standards, too low then your OCI's are too long. Forget about what Blackstone says about TBN (they don't seem to get that right anyway). Do an analysis of a 3k run on conventional SN+ and/or Dex1 Gen2 oil and I think you will be surprised.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
What year is this ecoboost? Has it 2018 or newer? The reason I ask is Ford added port injection and the intake valve deposits will not be an issue.

I know of a fleet hundred plus F150's with most of the 3.5 Ecoboosts pre 2018. The majority of the vehicles have close to 18000 hours of operation without an engine failure with the cheapest bulk API SN oil 5W30 threads like this can be hilarious.

Uhh

There are not even 8800 hours in a year. So if a 2015 vehicle is now four years old it would have to run for more than 50% of the time, period. Holidays, weekends, everything. If that same vehicle only averaged 20 miles per hour it would have 360,000 miles on it. I'm a bit skeptical of your numbers
confused.gif

I believe Mobil 1 0W40 is probably the perfect choice for the following reasons

- Cost...$22 for 5 quarts at Walmart...same cost as other oils
- Supply...just walk into Walmart...its there
- Thickness...its 12.8 CST which is in the lower part of the 40 weight. The engine will beat it back down into 5W30 quick
- Unlike HDEO this is designed for gas engines.
- Euro oil so its good for turbos.
- The Rat

I looked for UOAs and it was beat down to around 10.5 with an Ecoboost F150.

Amsoil is high quality but its expensive and need to keep a small supply of it around as you cant buy it locally.

Why run 5W30 and risk the CST falling into 20 weight when for same price get 0W40...

That's what I do with my Hyundai Gen Coupe 2L turbo. It came from the factory with 5w20! The car will make oil over a 5k OCI by about a half pint.

If 12 is the topline for 30 weight then at 12.9 0w40 is just a little higher. So when it gets diluted it s diluted back down into 30 territory for which the engine is designed. Probably will get under 12 within a 1000 miles or less.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back