Fuel Cell BMW X5 Concept car

BMW has already made hydrogen cars like 25 years ago.

On a side note: why are the kidney grills so small? Is this an old platform?

Pardon my ignorance but where does one buy hydrogen?
Mostly in San Francisco or Los Angeles by the looks of it.

1708603546578.jpg

Pardon my ignorance but where does one buy hydrogen?
Not many places and mostly H2 cars are not to be found or even expected to have any demand at the current time. Toyota does make one.
I think most manufacturers, like anything prepare "in case" at some point in the future H2 takes off at the consumer end, they will be prepared. We all know at the present time, there isnt enough electricity to power the 300,000,000 vehicles on American roads, nor at the present time will current battery vehicles satisfy the public. So if we are going to one day ditch gasoline, we need something to take its place.

With that said, some corporations do use H2 in their operations but they have the infrastructure and storage to do it.
Amazon, Walmart for example run their forklifts in their warehouses on H2 Fuel Cells. I think Amazon might be preparing to also have semi-trucks that run on H2 ...
Exxon is building a "green" H2 production facility in Texas.
It's just one avenue that companies explore. Current battery technology will never be the prime technology for powering vehicles.

I kind of look at it like this. We went from the filament light bulb to the compact florescent light bulb (CFL) that eventually got us to the LED. I look at battery powered cars as the compact florescent light bulb, it's a technology that was used in cars 100 years ago, much like that compact florescent bulb was a spin off of the regular florescent bulb that was around for what 8 or more decades until the modern LED came around.

H2 is a fascinating subject. I know, especially in this forum it is pointed out how impractical H2 is, I dont see it that way, there is much on the subject. I do think as Americans wake up we will increase our Nuclear Powerplants many, many times over but right now, maybe there are less than 6 new ones planned, most likely wont outpace the ones going off line. H2 fuel cells can be an answer for some of it and it is moving forward for some company operations. This is only if the "ditch gasoline" movement continues and it will. It's easy to steer the masses anyway you want, UNTIL they are inconvenienced. Then watch out!
These are two tiny examples of stuff happening around the world that no one knows.

Last edited:
Back