Front only or 4 channel for sound quality - auto

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

In some reading that Ive been doing, it seems that those who are interested in sound quality often are concerned only with the front two channels. it seems that some even remove rear channels and just have front with sub in their cars.

Ive seen discussion about this on multiple occasion, but are not sure why.

It seems that new cars are sold with speakers all over, especially in the better setups. 10 speaker systems, etc.

Is this more just so that spatially those in every seat have their own speaker? Id hate to have the sound stage behind me...

I can see having some bigger speakers in the back of the car where there is space,just because bass isnt particularly directional. But is that all the basis behind it or is there more? Is there a reason to go, say 4 channel or higher? Reasons against it?

thanks!

Yeah, for traditional stereo listening, the idea is to have the soundstage upfront, so that's why your tweeters/mids should be there, and then stick the bass drivers wherever you have space, which typically ends up being somewhere in the back.

The 10-speaker systems you're mentioning are most likely for simulating some sort of a surround sound, which means your head unit needs to have a built-in sound processor in order to achieve the proper effect ((wife's C300 has it as a factory option).

Originally Posted By: dparm
When you say "four channel" I interpret that as "four discrete channels".

When Im talking four channel, I mean 30 year old euro car which has front and rear, both sides. Usually the only difference is some amount (if any) "fade". Definitely no surround sound or anything like this.

When I say 10 speaker system, I generally mean cars that have speakers in the doors, kickpanels, dash, rear doors, parcel shelf, underseat sub, etc. I think my 135i has 10 speakers or so in its H/K system, and I LOVE it. But for practicality reasons Im looking at best quality for my old MB cars.

There's a lot of high-end audio analysis equipment these days -- they're undoubtedly putting more speakers in to help prevent null-zones and improve the imaging. As long as it isn't introducing any artificial reverb or excessive EQ processing, I'm fine with it.

I don't equate more speakers to better sound quality though. There's a strange expectation these days to just load a car with speakers, even if they aren't needed or are poor quality. My S4 has 10 speakers and I'm not that impressed with it. For comparison, my S2000 only had four and it sounded immensely better. Granted, it was a smaller car and easier to "fill" with sound but it just goes to show that quality trumps quantity.

Check out the Bang & Olufsen (Audi) or Mark Levinson (Lexus) stereos. Unbelievable sound quality. Good imaging, wide response, and very accurate. Listened to them at the Chicago Auto Show and was amazed. I didn't get a chance to hear the B&W ones in the Jags, unfortunately. The upgraded BMW "Logic" systems are impressive too.

My next car definitely will NOT have a Bose setup. Never found a good Bose system in a car. "No highs, no lows, must be Bose."

Last edited:
dparm, have you heard the Bose Studio On Wheels? I think you'd like it
wink.gif
. Soft dome tweets, three ways up front and Burr-Brown ICs throughout!

The rear speakers for a stereo source are for what is called "rear-fill". The idea is only to reinforce the sound for rear passengers. You can reduce weight, cost and complexity if you don't give a [censored] about the rear passengers.

I'm really holding back on my real opinion...as I do own an acoustics consulting company and serve as a member with the AES but that is the "background" on the question.
wink.gif

Have fun!

Originally Posted By: qr25de
I'm really holding back on my real opinion...as I do own an acoustics consulting company and serve as a member with the AES but that is the "background" on the question.
wink.gif

Would love nothing more than your opinion!

My basis is multiple 20-30 year old cars that arent going away any time soon. Might as well try to do what I can with their sound.

Im limited by 4" front speakers in some, 5 1/4 generally max... but wonder if the original intent of the rears was to just give each person a speaker, or to do more to the overall sound...

Front only.
Once you go front only you'll never go back.
I had a set of Alpine components amplified in my Maxima with a 10" sub in the trunk just for boom. Sounded awesome, I loved it. When I get the $, I'll do the same setup in the Honda.

I don't really know anything on the subject, but I can tell you what I did with my '84 505TD.

The car came with only two speakers, each down in the front footwells. I think they are 4 inch units. A previous owner had replaced them with some 2-way units that sound pretty good to my ear. But the car is very noisy, and while driving, some frequencies would be hard to hear over the engine sound.

There are cutouts in the package shelf for 5.25 inch speakers, as well as factory wiring for them. I added some cheap JVC speakers back there (I bought them because they had the nicest looking grilles). The JVC speakers have a lower sensitivity than whatever is in the front, so with neutral fade on the radio, they are perceptibly quieter.

Still, when driving, the JVC speakers are able to fill in the frequencies that the engine drowns out on the front speakers.

At least for my application, I think the rear speakers are nearly a necessity.

I find that I prefer the sound of 2 quality speakers. Rather than 4 or 6 as is common in modern cars. However, simply using just the front door speakers in a modern car generally gives less than stellar results. Mostly due to the position and small size/quality of the door speakers.

I've preferred four in every application I've tried. Fading completely forward has never improved the sound for me. With the shape of a car interior and the limitations on speaker location, two just doesn't seem to do it. Even my buddy who put serious effort into a stereo project including building his own large fiberglass kick-panel enclosures - at the expense of footroom - to house a nice set of components driven by an excessive amp still ended up throwing some basic speakers in the back deck to provide fill.

I don't doubt that people have put together some great stereos with only two speakers and a sub though. With no sub, some bigger speakers in back are usually needed to fill out the bass if nothing else.

At home though, it's two towers and a sub all the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back