Front license plates

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
What's you opinion? Causes lots of drama and discussions in the nicer/sports/modified car scene from folks not wanting to drill into their nice cars' front bumpers. Some states require some don't. World-wide front plates are the norm. I can see where it helps with vehicle identification. Me personally...I don't really care but if I had a 911 or Vette etc. I would not run one regardless of state law.

Last edited:
It depends on the car. But for most modern cars I think a front plate usually compliments the look. My truck would look odd without a front plate in my opinion. I do wish it was optional here though. I know a couple guys who have had tickets sent to them in the mail for not having a front plate. My friend who got a speeding ticket the other day also received a ticket for no front plate as a secondary offense. Cop said I had to hurry up and catch you so my scanner could get the plate cause you don’t have a front one so I’m citing you for that too.

Required in CT; i was pulled over once for not having one (was in the glove compartment) The officer indicated the stop was to check registration because the state issuing two plates and only one on the vehicle is a good vehicle (no pun intended) to having the other on an unregistered car. No ticket, no points, just a friendly wave.

Required here in CA, I have no issue with it. Then again I've never owned a car where having a front plate visually detracts from it. That said, vehicle manufacturers should design the car understanding many places they will sell the car require front plates...

I don't put them on my fun cars...have had a few comments from the Police, but never a ticket. One of my cars has an old 'green plate' which is a single. Luckily Mass allows year of manufacture plates for car built before '76 or so, and only one is required.

Mass was a single plate state until the 90's or so when we went back to two plates for safety.....and coincidentally after 3M spent a fair amount of $$ lobbying a few states. 3M made the reflective film that was (is?) used on Mass plates.

Might be nicer to not have, certainly on some vehicles they look bad—others, they have a designated spot and look just fine. So I’m kinda ambivalent. Haven’t lived in a state (yet) that didn’t require both.

EZ Pass can catch the front plate, if the transponder isn’t working (or isn’t present). That can be nice.

Hate them … especially if a Vette has to wear them … that seems to be one where the LEO’s know it and look the other way …

My take here in VA has been why have any additional chance of interaction with LE...not worth it. There are other mounting options so you don't have to drill holes into the bumper (tow hook mounts etc.). I'm not sure but I *think* here in VA it's not a primary anymore for getting pulled over (good), only a secondary offense.

Always figured if the state had no front plates, easy to back in so the cops can't ID your car if they are looking for you.

when I bought my current car used, it was previously owned in MI, and IN, which don't have front plates, but here in OH you needed both plates.
dealer didn't have the bracket in stock, but ordered one, and had it shipped to my house.
Bracket arrives, I drill the holes to mount it....
Ohio passes a new transportation budget/bill, that among other things, eliminated the front plate requirement starting the following Jan.
...grumble grumble grumble...

when I bought my current car used, it was previously owned in MI, and IN, which don't have front plates, but here in OH you needed both plates.
dealer didn't have the bracket in stock, but ordered one, and had it shipped to my house.
Bracket arrives, I drill the holes to mount it....
Ohio passes a new transportation budget/bill, that among other things, eliminated the front plate requirement starting the following Jan.
...grumble grumble grumble...
Get the paint-matched little plugs you just put in the holes. Can't recall the name now but they come in a variety of sizes.

TX hasn't hasseled me yet.
DSCN0929.JPG

On the few cars I do have registered here, I have personalized tags so I don't mind too much, or they are registered in Florida. The only time I got pulled over was for having the tag in the back window.

Ohio did away with it on July 1st, 2020. I'm surprised Texas, the "free" state requires it.
That change in Ohio was the most ridiculous thing those worthless law makers ever decided. Makes law enforcement more difficult. Imagine how much money had to be spent by school districts to make necessary changes to the school bus cameras to catch people who didn't stop for school buses.

I don't think tags look good on the front of many vehicles but I believe vehicles should be required to have tags on the front and rear. Maybe a front tag with a different aspect ratio would be a workable compromise - wider and less tall like Euro tags.

Back