One license plate in a Two-Plate State

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
Thanks guys for confirming what I thought.

I'll go through the area with no fear! Printing out a copy of the statue probably isn't a bad idea, but at the same time I've also heard derisive comments from officers about people they stop who try to "play lawyer" on the side of the road. It seems as though if he HAD wanted to cite me for one plate, he'd have done it regardless of the evidence presented to the contrary.

You can always request a supervisor to come to the scene and if he is the only deputy out, state police. If he refuses start taking video and call dispatch.

Agree this guy is an idiot as another LE.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
The cop was an idiot for sure.

I'm considering moving to a two plate state this year. Whether or not I'll actually run two plates remains to be seen...

I used to live in Ohio, which requires 2 plates. I only had 1 car that already had the mount in the front so I ran it on that one, the rest of the cars I owned, no way was I installing that hideous mount on the front of a brand new car. Especially the Cadillac I had. I was never pulled over and I nearly always had illegal tint. Thankfully Florida doesn't require 2 plates! I did read though that Ohio just passed a bill that removed the requirement for the front plate, finally. https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...-hike-for-diesel/8VJaHvF5DjRP0baUb5831J/

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
He was messing with you. Maybe to provoke you into an excuse to cite you or worse.

I actually had that thought-I wondered if maybe it was just an excuse to approach me and see how I reacted to it.

It was a slow Sunday afternoon(about 4:00 or so), and he was getting gas at the adjacent pump. I made eye contact with him and nodded as a way of greeting-as I often do when I see any sort of LEO. Perhaps I should reconsider being friendly to people in general/LEOs specifically if it's going to lead to getting hassled over BS.

I THOUGHT he was wrong, but at the same time certainly didn't want to make an issue out of it(esp. when my main goal was to get gas/stretch my legs/use the bathroom/get a cup of coffee and get back on the road so I could get home). If I'd been thinking, I'd have asked for his card or at least made a better mental note as to his name so that I could call and ask the agency about the encounter.

I have one of the old green plates in MA. They never got around to retiring it, but it only has one plate, no front plate. I've been pulled over a couple of times by a cop who thought I was missing a front plate, but he pulled me over from the front, was standing by the side of the road and waived me over. When he saw my back plate, he just said sorry, he thought I was missing a plate but he didn't know it was a green plate so he just let me go.

States have what are called Reciprocity Agreements where they allow cars in from other states if they are properly registered in their home state.

I am not a lawyer, but have heard that Massachusetts doesn't honor temporary plates from other states. This sound plausible as they don't issue them, themselves. Therefore there is nothing to reciprocate.

These agreements were worked out for cars in the first decade of the 1900s. You used to have to switch plates at the MA-NY border, for example, but this was way long ago.

18 wheelers took a lot longer to come up with a multistate compact, for tax collection mostly. IFTA cured this.

Cop was hassling you. Good job keeping a straight face and even keel.

I got stopped in Vermont for doing 45 in a 25.

The cop.wanted the usual stuff , he came back to the Tacoma indicting he couldn't find my reg. In their system.

My truck is reg. In Connecticut with combination plates,

Turns out in Vermont a truck is reg. as a truck, and a car is reg as a car. No area for combination plates in the national system that Vermont accesses.

After explaining how Ct. also issues combination plates and showing him the printed reg. that we get by renewing on line and the printed receipt with my credit card number that I had in my wallet he let me go.

I apologized that his system only reconinezed commercial plates for trucks and regular plates for cars and not combination plates for out of state vehicles
Confused look on his face but I'm sure the VETERAN PLATE and the NRA sticker helped.

TOMB

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
United States Constitution, Article IV, Section 1. "Full faith and credit." States are required to respect public acts and records of other states. Your drivers license,vehicle registration, marriage license, divorce certificate et.al. issued in one state are legal and binding in all states. Just think of the gigantic mess we would have if it were otherwise. Deputy must have been smoking confiscated pot.

This is the key (not the confiscated weed part...). Full faith and credit questions CAN get complicated, but not in a case like this. Turn the question around -- consider the utter chaos that would result if individual states could -- and did -- enforce every provision of their laws that happened to conflict with those of other states! "Gee Honey, that was a great vacation -- except for the seven citations we got for [you fill it in]". No imagine what would happen to interstate commerce.

Not a problem, that officer needs some remedial training. . .

Originally Posted by ammolab
Your car was legal in Kentucky the state of registration...and it was legal in all other 49 states.

The cop was an idiot or jerk, maybe both.

Just a chest thumper and was behind on his monthly ticket quota.

I'm considering moving to a two plate state this year. Whether or not I'll actually run two plates remains to be seen...

After your first ticket for not running the two plates, you'll run them after that....

Originally Posted by Donald
I only have one plate on my NY truck.... I need to find the other plate before I move to DE.
No, you need to register your car in DE and they'll issue you (2) DE plates.

any thoughts on this?

Yeah, go around Illinois next time pal! Don't want you here, and if you do come, buy our Gas and stuff and pay our tax rate! We got enough problems. and you want your State Concealed Carry permit to be valid here?

Illinois Does Not Honor Pemits from these States:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virgin Islands, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

GET THE MESSAGE?
smile.gif
Better have that unloaded firearm in a case! Want to move here now?

Last edited:
Any county in the rural areas of the southern half of Illinois... which is a border county that also has an interstate running through it... watch out.

Where I-24 crosses into Illinois at Metropolis, which is Massac County, where I-64 crosses into Illinois near Grayville, which is White County.... and where I-57 crosses into Illinois near Mounds, which is Pulaski County.

In these areas, they write tickets to pay the bills. Plain and simple. It is the easiest way to generate revenue for the local governments, revenue that they'd otherwise never see, Local police and Sheriff's Deputies will sit on the interstate to write tickets, and will watch the gas stations along the interstate. Profiling vehicles with out-of-state plates is the best, for obvious reason. The driver will pay on the spot, or by mail, and be done with it.

I refuse to even get off of the interstate in Massac County anymore, even for gas. I've simply seen too much 'targeted' police activity along the interstate and at gas stations. Run a couple of mph under the speed limit, and don't stop.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
any thoughts on this?

Yeah, go around Illinois next time pal! Don't want you here, and if you do come, buy our Gas and stuff and pay our tax rate! We got enough problems. and you want your State Concealed Carry permit to be valid here?

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virgin Islands, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

GET THE MESSAGE?
smile.gif
Better have that unloaded firearm in a case! All you would be felons!

Trust me, I don't want to tempt fate by having a gun, unloaded and cased or otherwise, in the car. If the officer had actually tried to cite me, it wouldn't have surprised me if I got the 3rd degree when my KY CCW permit popped up in connection with my license.

I almost always have a gun in the glovebox in KY-something legal here without a permit. I'm not taking a chance on it anywhere near IL.

It's even more frustrating that-not only does IL not recognize any other state's permit, at least per my understanding, but also don't issue non-resident permits.

I just need to convince my girlfriend to move here from the St. Louis area so I don't have to travel through there
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
any thoughts on this?

GET THE MESSAGE?
smile.gif
Better have that unloaded firearm in a case! Want to move here now?

LOL. Bro. You don't have to joke about not moving to IL. No one wants to. People are fleeing.

Originally Posted by Propflux01

After your first ticket for not running the two plates, you'll run them after that....

After the first one? Probably not. It'd take two or three for sure.

My buddy hasn't had a front tag on his A8 since he bought it a few years ago and hasn't been stopped.

NJ is a two plate state. You'll see some folks with fancy Corvettes and similar that don't attach the front plate.

However, when it comes to window tinting, legal in your home state doesn't mean it's legal to drive elsewhere. I see police pull cars over to tinting I presume because the cars broke no other motor vehicle laws.

Maybe the guy jumped to conclusions and didn't realize your car was plated in another state that didn't require a front license plate. Maybe he didn't even look at the back of your car to see it wasn't from Illinois where the cop was "upholding the law".

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Maybe the guy jumped to conclusions and didn't realize your car was plated in another state that didn't require a front license plate. Maybe he didn't even look at the back of your car to see it wasn't from Illinois where the cop was "upholding the law".

From the original post: " I mentioned that Kentucky doesn't issue/require a front plate and was told it "didn't matter".

Originally Posted by ammolab
Your car was legal in Kentucky the state of registration...and it was legal in all other 49 states.

The cop was an idiot or jerk, maybe both.

/endthread

That officer was trying to pull a Deliverance on you. Slow day at the office doesn't even begin to describe how it is in some of these middle of nowhere locations, and that's being nice. Should have made a note of a badge number and agency...

Back