From Quebec to Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

It's been a few years since I last visited the site and posted. I recently picked up a MB C350 4Matic 2013 in Quebec. Service was done at the time of purchase. I now moved to Fort Worth, TX to finish my medical studies.

Question is this: do I have to adjust or replace engine, transmission, differential oil to be better suited for Texas weather?

If so, what are your recommendations?

No, you don't need to change any of the fluids. The factory-specified fluids are suitable for use in both very cold and very hot climates. If you look in your owner's manual, you will see that they don't require anything different for cold versus hot climates.

^ There you go.

However if the owner's manual states a heavier oil to use in higher temperatures, I would be inclined to change to that weight on the next change.

(Also, stock up on cheap oil before you return to Canada!)

Last edited:
Kuato, I see no reason to run a heavier oil just because Texas sees higher ambient temps. The car isn't air cooled so a thicker oil won't make much of a difference.

Besides, that car is spec'd for MB 229.5 oils, which is stuff like Mobil 1 0w40, Castrol Edge 0w40, etc. Those all have HTHS of 3.5+, which is plenty thick.

Thanks to you three for your replies.

I ask because on my previous car, a BMW 1999 e46, I had to go from the GC 0W30 in the winter to 5W40 Motul in the summer time, while the BMW 1995 e38 would alternate between the Castrol 5W50 in the winter to Motul's 15W50.

Have a great day!

If you got to a Walmart in the USA you can take advantage of Mobil 1 0W40 for about $25 for a 5.1 quart jug. Nothing else will touch those specs per dollar.

You can also get the Castrol Edge 0W40 at Walmart in their cheap 5 quart jugs also. The Walmart in Benbrook/Ft Worth has a really good oil selection.

Welcome to Texas
Our summers are hot , 100 to 108 every day July and August so plan for it
Our winters are usually not bad

welcome2.gif

Welcome to Texas!! The DFW area is my fave part. I used to live there and plan on going back asap. Really friendly and lots of stuff to do there!!

Originally Posted By: dparm
Kuato, I see no reason to run a heavier oil just because Texas sees higher ambient temps. The car isn't air cooled so a thicker oil won't make much of a difference.

Besides, that car is spec'd for MB 229.5 oils, which is stuff like Mobil 1 0w40, Castrol Edge 0w40, etc. Those all have HTHS of 3.5+, which is plenty thick.

Thanks...I profess ignorance of MB, was just going off of (for example) Toyota's FJ Cruiser oil recommendations...0w20 for all conditions, but there is a small section in the OM that says a 30wt can be used for heavy loads, mountainous driving, or high temperatures, "for extra protection". Which is why I said if. 'S all good, OP is fine either way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm Texan Welcome!

Funny you mention Benbrook, I'm actually clerking at a clinic there right now for the next few weeks. $25 for 5 quarts of M1 0W40? They are giving it away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back