[Left Rear Only] Wheelspin when accelerating from stop

Astro may be incorrect on this one. When traction control “kicks in” there is a noticeable decrease in engine output. The Toyota system will not keep the wheel just at the traction limit. It will cut power Aggressively to prevent loss of control

For troubleshooting only, I suggest trying some sandbags or concrete bags in the back of the bed and see if that improves things.
Alright sorry for lying dormant on this topic for a bit. I work 12hr days so I’m a bit busy. I was not able to take a video of the wheels spinning but did have my dad drive the truck and take off with varying degrees of force to observe the wheel spin. Both rear tires spun continuously and at what appeared to be the same rate. My dad felt the skip/shutter as well so I know I’m not crazy. I did actually purchase 250lbs of sand and place that in the bed. 100 lbs over each axle and 50 lbs in the middle. I did notice a mild difference in the skip/shutter. However, it still remained. I’ve been trying to locate a shop in my area that I feel confident in its ability to diagnose the issue, but to no avail. None of the shops deal with in depth diagnosis of differentials or transmissions. South Main Auto (yea the one with the YouTube channel) is a 3hr drive from me and I was considering taking it there to have them take a look at it.

Ah another thing to note… I’ve been playing around with the truck. I’ve noticed that the more aggressive my takeoff, the less skip/shutter I get. Also, I just drove the truck through a mild snow storm. It did absolutely awful. Would not gain traction on any portion of the road that had even a slight coating of snow and would drive almost sideways until I could get up to a higher speed. ABS also continuously kicked on when I tried stopping or slowing on any road stretch with a slight decline. I was already only approaching these declines at about 10-15 mph and the truck still would kick on abs and not allow me to slow down enough to make some turns. Granted it’s a 2WD truck, but the snow coverage on the roads wasn’t terrible at all and no other vehicles had much trouble getting through it.

Puzzling. Physics says if the rear wheels are spinning yet the truck isn’t accelerating then there’s got to be either 0 weight over the back or a significant opposing force. Front brakes dragging? Poor throttle tip-in? It doesn’t make sense. those are big tires to spin, and I’m really not sure the v6 is capable of doing it without a lot of prodding.

Puzzling. Physics says if the rear wheels are spinning yet the truck isn’t accelerating then there’s got to be either 0 weight over the back or a significant opposing force. Front brakes dragging? Poor throttle tip-in? It doesn’t make sense. those are big tires to spin, and I’m really not sure the v6 is capable of doing it without a lot of prodding.
Yea truck goes down the road just fine. It also doesn’t act like it’s spinning while I’m taking off from a stop. It continues to move forward despite the skip/shutter. Unless it’s pretty wet or icey. Then I’ll get some resistance until the skip/shutter goes away.

Your pads stuck against the drum on your right side....your left wheel fine just feels like wheels in cause your right side binding

Alright sorry for lying dormant on this topic for a bit. I work 12hr days so I’m a bit busy. I was not able to take a video of the wheels spinning but did have my dad drive the truck and take off with varying degrees of force to observe the wheel spin. Both rear tires spun continuously and at what appeared to be the same rate. My dad felt the skip/shutter as well so I know I’m not crazy. I did actually purchase 250lbs of sand and place that in the bed. 100 lbs over each axle and 50 lbs in the middle. I did notice a mild difference in the skip/shutter. However, it still remained. I’ve been trying to locate a shop in my area that I feel confident in its ability to diagnose the issue, but to no avail. None of the shops deal with in depth diagnosis of differentials or transmissions. South Main Auto (yea the one with the YouTube channel) is a 3hr drive from me and I was considering taking it there to have them take a look at it.

When you say spin, you were having your dad intentionally do a burn-out or take off with wheelspin so you could observe the tires? If it stutters when you take off with no wheelspin, it's something else going on their, like it thinks a wheel is spinning but it isn't (bad wheel speed sensor, as Astro touched-on). On the other hand, it could also be a dragging brake, which might explain your bizarre snow experience.

Back