[Left Rear Only] Wheelspin when accelerating from stop

Hi there, I own a 2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner 2WD with 70k miles and the 1grfe engine. Purchased truck recently and it pretty much runs and drives great other than a noticeable [what feels like] wheelspin on initial takeoff. I do not have the ability to actually look outside of the truck while I’m driving to see if the wheel is spinning or not, but I’m pretty confident that it is wheelspin because the truck feels like it skips and stutters from the left rear end specifically, and doesn’t accelerate evenly until the skipping stops. This problem ONLY occurs during initial takeoff from a complete stop, regardless of any weather conditions. Dry, wet, ice, doesn’t matter. It’ll do it. Only time I will not feel this is if I accelerate very slowly. Snail pace. Problem is only felt from the left rear. Right rear feels like it’s tracking correctly. No skipping/studder after the initial take off. Truck also gets really bogged down and pulls on the left side if I drive on wet road through a puddle of any significance. Doesn’t even need to be a large puddle. You know how when you drive through large puddles in your vehicle and you can feel your vehicle want to turn deeper into the puddle, so you have to correct the steering to keep the vehicle straight?Well the left side will do this if I’m driving through even small puddles of water on roadways. Right side won’t want to pull until you get into deeper puddles. Taken truck to 3 trusted shops in my area and each one says they couldn’t find much issue. I honestly just think they didn’t test drive it like I requested. Couldn’t find much information on this problem through the internet. Saw some posts that said it could be generally related to either the diff or transmission, but no specifics.

Additional information: changed all fluids in truck. Every single one. Diff fluid was 1/2 quart low and had very metallic hue. No metallic shavings on magnet, but large accumulation of very fine metal sludge. Replaced with amsoil 80w-90 gear oil rated for limited slip. Transmission fluid was dark, but good. No shavings. Every other fluid checked out. No idea how diff was low. There were no leaks anywhere. Not from the pumpkin or brake shoes or anything.

Appreciate any help and I’m happy to answer any questions or inspect something if it’ll narrow down the issue(s)

Attachments

• 8CE59BAA-BC94-47CC-959A-067C3EEC8901.jpeg
    8CE59BAA-BC94-47CC-959A-067C3EEC8901.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 22
Take it to another shop.

It is not just burning out from every stop unless you're in an ice storm. You'd be taking off like a race car. That truck doesn't have that much power.
Yea I’m already on trying to find another shop, but I’m really trying to find one that will actually delve into the issue since the previous 3 hadn’t panned out. Not sure what you’re trying to say in your second paragraph

Yea I’m already on trying to find another shop, but I’m really trying to find one that will actually delve into the issue since the previous 3 hadn’t panned out. Not sure what you’re trying to say in your second paragraph
If your truck was spinning it's tires taking off from a light, then you'd be hauling ass down the road. Unless you have plastic tires like a Barbie Jeep.

Which engine is in this truck? I find it hard to believe you're accidentally lighting up the LR every time you accelerate.

Which engine is in this truck? I find it hard to believe you're accidentally lighting up the LR every time you accelerate.
1grfe 4.0 v6. I can’t stress this enough: I do not drive or accelerate rough or hard at all. I’m a pretty conservative driver. I’ve driven several trucks before and drive a truck for work. I know the problem here is not me or my driving habits.

Could there be a problem with the speed sensor at that wheel. It might be kicking the abs or traction control on when it doesn’t need to becauseit thinks it’s rotating at a different speed. Maybe change it out? Moisture getting into the harness in those puddles?

*Is the differential a LS or STD?
*Rear drum or disk?
*Could one brake(right rear) be sticking/hanging up momentarily after releasing the brake pedal?

**It does seem like the right rear brake is still hanging up/grabbing while accelerating from a stop...then releases/breaks free.
**So, when a shop has the truck on a lift, there is no problem that they can detect just by turning the rear axle(brakes are already free'd-up).

***I'd like to see for myself, the truck on a lift w/wheels off the ground and a driver inside the truck, holding down the brake pedal(like at a RED light)...then releasing the brakes just to see if the RIGHT REAR BRAKE is hanging up for a couple of seconds. Rear axle turned by hand.
***The FIREBIRD in my signature DOES NOT have LSD, only standard rear differential. And this can easily happen to me on just about any moist day if I am not careful. However, not to the magnitude that you describe in your Toyota. Mine spins on the opposite side(Right Rear), not the Left Rear.
***Sort'a reminds me when a hydraulic brake line is chaffed on the inside, causing one brake to hangup for a second/two after releasing the brake pedal.

Sorry, just grasping at straws! :unsure:

Last edited:
This problem ONLY occurs during initial takeoff from a complete stop, regardless of any weather conditions. Dry, wet, ice, doesn’t matter. It’ll do it. Only time I will not feel this is if I accelerate very slowly.

If weather conditions don't matter it probably doesn't spin. Take it to a reputable shop.

*Is the differential a LS or STD?
*Rear drum or disk?
*Could one brake(right rear) be sticking/hanging up momentarily after releasing the brake pedal?

**It does seem like the right rear brake is still hanging up/grabbing while accelerating from a stop...then releases/breaks free.
**So, when a shop has the truck on a lift, there is no problem that they can detect just by turning the rear axle(brakes are already free'd-up).

***I'd like to see for myself, the truck on a lift w/wheels off the ground and a driver inside the truck, holding down the brake pedal(like at a RED light)...then releasing the brakes just to see if the RIGHT REAR BRAKE is hanging up for a couple of seconds. Rear axle turned by hand.
***The FIREBIRD in my signature DOES NOT have LSD, only standard rear differential. And this can easily happen to me on just about any moist day if I am not careful. However, not to the magnitude that you describe in your Toyota. Mine spins on the opposite side(Right Rear), not the Left Rear.
***Sort'a reminds me when a hydraulic brake line is chaffed on the inside, causing one brake to hangup for a second/two after releasing the brake pedal.

Sorry, just grasping at straws! :unsure:
It is a LSD with drum rears.

Your LSD is not mechanical. It's an electronic system that drags a brake on a spinning wheel to send torque to the other wheel.

The fact that you describe both wheelspin and then "bogged down" and "skip" makes me think that this really isn't wheelspin. If it was wheelspin, the truck would spin until it accelerated quickly. But it doesn't, it "skips" and then is bogged down. That suggest low torque at the wheel, not the high torque that would cause actual spinning.

The truck is getting bogged down and skipping, not spinning. That skipping is coming from a dragging brake, or LSD being engaged by a bad wheel speed sensor and putting on one brake. Sounds like it's the left brake being engaged, but it could be either.

Time to pull the brakes and inspect. Time to read out the wheel sensors.

I think 2007's still had actual mechanical LSD's. The electronic version didn't come out till '09 or so if I recall correctly. The electronic ones do not kick in until you turn traction control off. Normal driving it's not activated.

Rear axle seal leaks are common of this vintage contaminating the brakes and wheel bearings. But since you've had to a shop and this is an obvious problem, we'll probably skip that diagnosis.

Try driving with traction control off and see how it behaves. If you have a speed sensor going wonky then yea it'll think there's wheel spin, activating the traction control and even give you the "pull" affect. BUT, I do remember on my 2009 Tacoma the traction light would light up and beep during those events.

1). Get someone to take a video to see if it is wheelspin or not.

2). Inspect brakes/bearings/rear end for issues.

Rear end because if someone did enough donuts with the inside wheel spinning it could be damaged. Almost bought a vehicle like that once.

3). Lug nuts tight?

Check engine/transmission mounts to make sure driveshaft angles are correct. Check CV joints to make sure they are not frozen. Check split driveshaft carrier bearing and make sure the bearing spins and the rubber surround is in one peace. ??

all great suggestions above.

also check ATF fluid level and condition!!

Your LSD is not mechanical. It's an electronic system that drags a brake on a spinning wheel to send torque to the other wheel.

The fact that you describe both wheelspin and then "bogged down" and "skip" makes me think that this really isn't wheelspin. If it was wheelspin, the truck would spin until it accelerated quickly. But it doesn't, it "skips" and then is bogged down. That suggest low torque at the wheel, not the high torque that would cause actual spinning.

The truck is getting bogged down and skipping, not spinning. That skipping is coming from a dragging brake, or LSD being engaged by a bad wheel speed sensor and putting on one brake. Sounds like it's the left brake being engaged, but it could be either.

Time to pull the brakes and inspect. Time to read out the wheel sensors.
This.

Astro may be incorrect on this one. When traction control “kicks in” there is a noticeable decrease in engine output. The Toyota system will not keep the wheel just at the traction limit. It will cut power Aggressively to prevent loss of control

For troubleshooting only, I suggest trying some sandbags or concrete bags in the back of the bed and see if that improves things.

Back