Free lifetime oil change. FCP Euro.

20,000 mile service on the 1993 240 sedan:

Mann Air Filter, NGK Spark Plugs, Bosch Cap and Rotor, Mann W917 oil filter, MB 5W40 oil, LM 85W90 GL-5 gear oil, LM 1800 ATF for AT and PS.

All parts and fluids credited to my American Express card. 🙂

20,000 mile service on the 1993 240 sedan:

Mann Air Filter, NGK Spark Plugs, Bosch Cap and Rotor, Mann W917 oil filter, MB 5W40 oil, LM 85W90 GL-5 gear oil, LM 1800 ATF for AT and PS.

All parts and fluids credited to my American Express card. 🙂
Were you able to use Paypal and get the shipping covered for a completely free experience?

You didn’t have to pay for the shipping on the new items either or is that included in the PayPal deal?
One more time, the procedure is:

Buy something from FCP Euro. Let's do an oil change. $65 for a LM Molygen 5W40 kit for my Golf. Shipping is free on many orders including this one. Use Paypal to buy it. 4 mos. later you want to change your oil, you do this again. $65 more. You have to buy the new item first! Now out $130. You return the first one as it's being replaced. Since you used Paypal to buy it, you go to your Paypal and find the original order. You have signed up for free return shipping through Paypal. 12x a year, up to 180 days after purchase are constraints. You print out a FedEx pre-paid label from Paypal for the first order. Box it up. Ship it back. Get a $65 refund. Repeat infinity. The magic is including other things in these returns....like wipers, cabin filters, brake pads, rotors, etc. b/c the 180 days will kill it for lots of items. I have this down to a science at this point. I've returned ~$1,800 worth of consumables to-date. I spend a lot of money with FCP!

Last edited:
It is legit, it is within the rules, and people are using it. Personally, I would rather they cease offering it on clear consumables (like oil and oil filters - I mean COME ON), continue to offer it on non-consumable parts, and lower their prices instead. Now we have used oil and rusty brake rotors in transit being shipped - risk for spillage, all that wasted fuel/energy/carbon on moving scrap and "hazardous" waste around - in support of people getting "free" consumables.

Because I'm outside of the US, doing this for the consumables simply doesn't make sense, but I do intentionally buy other parts (like pneumatic wastegate solenoids for my N55 which seem to eat themselves annually - until I bought from FCP anyways lol) from FCP even if they cost a little more.

It is legit, it is within the rules, and people are using it. Personally, I would rather they cease offering it on clear consumables (like oil and oil filters - I mean COME ON), continue to offer it on non-consumable parts, and lower their prices instead. Now we have used oil and rusty brake rotors in transit being shipped - risk for spillage, all that wasted fuel/energy/carbon on moving scrap and "hazardous" waste around - in support of people getting "free" consumables.

Because I'm outside of the US, doing this for the consumables simply doesn't make sense, but I do intentionally buy other parts (like pneumatic wastegate solenoids for my N55 which seem to eat themselves annually - until I bought from FCP anyways lol) from FCP even if they cost a little more.
Because it's simple - lowering prices by not offering lifetime replacement will not yield the same profits as the life replacement "gimmick". It's genius really. I think what folks miss is that the lifetime replacement IS for consumables and is different than the warranty they offer on their parts...that's the whole point, it's not a "fine print" issue that folks are "getting away with"...they literally tell you how to do it and expect you will do just that...return brake pads etc.

Because it's simple - lowering prices by not offering lifetime replacement will not yield the same profits as the life replacement "gimmick". It's genius really. I think what folks miss is that the lifetime replacement IS for consumables and is different than the warranty they offer on their parts...that's the whole point, it's not a "fine print" issue that folks are "getting away with"...they literally tell you how to do it and expect you will do just that...return brake pads etc.
I get all that, I just think it's a bad idea.

YOU aren't paying for it, but someone is. And everyone doing this is shipping their sometimes-hazardous, usually-heavy garbage all over the US while doing it. It is far from an "everyone wins", environmentally responsible way to do things. But it is legit and within FCP's rules.

YOU aren't paying for it, but someone is. And everyone doing this is shipping their sometimes-hazardous, usually-heavy garbage all over the US while doing it. It is far from an "everyone wins", environmentally responsible way to do things. But it is legit and within FCP's rules.
FCP recycles everything they get back including oil, rotors, etc. so there's that if the enviro bit is a hang up for you.

How often would one be able to take advantage of this?

Does it works if I do a transmission drain and fill on an automatic?

You gotta break eggs to make omelets. It's a neat marketing gimmick. I pretty much buy all my stuff from them now, not only because they're close to me and I get it in 2-3 days, but anywhere else, it'd be at least 4-5 days like rockauto. Rockauto still has their place because sometimes their parts are much cheaper than FCPeuro like Bilstein parts, Bilstein already has a lifetime warranty so I just have to ship it back to rockauto vs FCPeuro. Basically the cost of marketing gets rolled into the warranty and their parts are just a few dollars more than most places so that's the price you're paying for the extra warranty. They also do seem to know what parts are better, I hear lots of times that the parts for a particular application are actually the OEM makers of the part. The shipping it back part is the same as applying for rebates, I'm sure a certain number of people who would qualify simply don't ship it back so requiring the parts to be shipped back is another way to cut down on warranty claims.

How often would one be able to take advantage of this?

Does it works if I do a transmission drain and fill on an automatic?
As much as you want. No limits.

Yes, EVERYTHING* is eligible. Here's my list for my 3 VWs over the last few years:

My return shipping has all been free BTW using Paypal.

Capture.JPG

*additives, grease, etc. that you "use up" are not.

You gotta break eggs to make omelets. It's a neat marketing gimmick. I pretty much buy all my stuff from them now, not only because they're close to me and I get it in 2-3 days, but anywhere else, it'd be at least 4-5 days like rockauto. Rockauto still has their place because sometimes their parts are much cheaper than FCPeuro like Bilstein parts, Bilstein already has a lifetime warranty so I just have to ship it back to rockauto vs FCPeuro. Basically the cost of marketing gets rolled into the warranty and their parts are just a few dollars more than most places so that's the price you're paying for the extra warranty. They also do seem to know what parts are better, I hear lots of times that the parts for a particular application are actually the OEM makers of the part. The shipping it back part is the same as applying for rebates, I'm sure a certain number of people who would qualify simply don't ship it back so requiring the parts to be shipped back is another way to cut down on warranty claims.
This. Like you, did my Bilsteins from RA b/c the extra warranty isn't that important and I saved over $100 over FCP. Same with my larger OE turbo I run, got from a different vendor to save some money...if it goes I'll be upgrading to something bigger anyway!

I was at FCP last week picking up parts.

The Safety-Kleen truck was transferring two 275 gallon totes of used fluids.

I recently replaced the front pads and rotors and flushed brake fluid on the 240 sedan.

FCP credited my Amex card for $98.

Attachments

• D31DAAA1-22C3-41AE-8AB6-0C58BF749A4F.jpeg
    D31DAAA1-22C3-41AE-8AB6-0C58BF749A4F.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 12
I was at FCP last week picking up parts.

The Safety-Kleen truck was transferring two 275 gallon totes of used fluids.

I recently replaced the front pads and rotors and flushed brake fluid on the 240 sedan.

FCP credited my Amex card for $98.
15673768_0.jpg

The only carbon negative portion of this scheme involves the shipping of the product back for a refund and possibly an increase in the rate of consumption (i.e. more frequent oil changes).

Back