frame flex with floor jack normal?

Yes, but I'm going to do the brakes and want a jack stand under it.
Well, I would jack under the control arm & put the stand under the corner of the frame right behind the wheel opening. That’s how I would hold up my 6.2 diesel C3500 2WD Sierra (granted, not a 1200 lb. Cummins engine). Dodge frames could stand to be stronger-that’s why the Cummins Rams have so many steering issues, frame actually flexes too much.

Flex is very normal. My 3rd gen Firebird w/ T-tops had LOTS of flex. The cross member under the oil pan is usually a good spot up front on 2wd trucks.

Don't lift by the lower control arm if the spring doesn't rest on it (or the torsion bar.)
Pretty sure the 2WD Dodges have the bottom spring mount on the LCA. Firebirds don’t have frames-I’ve heard of t-tops popping out on uneven RR crossings!

My friend that did the brake job lifted it under the control arm, then had a jack stand under the inner part of the control arm closer to where the caser/camber bolts are. Not sure if that's the best place still cause that's not really level. I've never really agreed with having Jack stands in place just in case the floor jack fails.

This was my 2007 Dodge ram 2500 diesel. Has all that weight up front, from the engine
I’ve jacked up my 2wd 96 ram CTD with a 1.5 ton HF aluminum jack. It went up enough to get a tire off. I wouldnt count on it for much.

No flex that I recalled. But I made sure it was able to roll on a smooth surface. Does your jack actually roll? Sometimes on my asphalt driveway section they won’t.

A perrimeter/ladder framed vehicle is pretty flexy in the vertical direction. Doesn't get that truss-style strength of a unit construction.

Normal.

Reactions: D60
my f150 frame does not flex much. I can lift it in the middle of the frame or on the ends. doesn't matter. The doors all open and shut correctly. ive seen them hit by an 18 wheeler and the bed all smashed in, the back door still worked perfect.

That Cummins engine is really heavy, that added to the flex. Ram has typically had a very stiff frame since the 1994 model was introduced. I always lift the truck from the point closest to the forward or rear cab mount.

I only jack trucks on the rear axle, front cross member or front control arm. That's it.
You remind me of a friend that jacked it up under the front cross member and had a 4x4 in between. Always questioned the 4x4, but I think it would be more likely to slip off with just the jack pad by itself. I think he needed it for the the extra height too.

Last edited:
Back