Fram? You decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ Is that your video?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: salcuta88
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
There's really nothing wrong with Fram filters, but I think there are better filters available for the same or less money.

An OEM filter for my Hyundai is the same price at the dealership as an Orange Can is at Walmart. A Motorcraft for my Ford is cheaper than an Orange Can. Even a Mopar cartridge filter for our Jeep is cheaper than the Fram equivalent.

The Fram Ultra on the other hand is definitely one of the best filters out there and is usually priced less than comparable filters from other brands.

Hyundai's are well made but filter at 40 or 50 microns.
Does it actually make any difference in real life?

It took a lot of convincing for me to try a Fram ultra but i will say the Fram ultra is a good filter.. These days the fram ultra is my go to oil filter.
I am only talking about the ultra the rest of their filters i don't use.

There are as many posts on here about bad Purolator oil filters as there are internet videos regarding terrible Frams. Generalizations and anecdotal evidence abound.

Wrong! In the past five years or-so, Purolator leads by a mile and especially with their mid-tier filters.

Purolator ought to be ashamed of themselves. If everyone in America who bought a Purolator were schooled here at BobTheOilGuy prior to their purchase, Purolator sales would drop at least 50%. Then they would be forced to address their tears publicly.

Those suspecting millions of tears would bring Purolator shareholders to tears.....lol

Last edited:
Yes, I like Fram too. Have one on the Hyundai. Everyone seems to love taking extreme points of view.

Originally Posted By: Blocker
You can get Fram here but no one likes them. Most use Fleetguard. The cabbies swear by them

Fleetguard is highly respected here, but what are cabbies driving where Fleetguard makes a filter? I can't say I've checked, but I have difficulty believing Fleetguard would make a filter here for all the Priuses and the like we see as taxis here these days.
wink.gif

As for Fram, I'm not fan of the orange can, not least of all because it's everywhere here, not to mention how overpriced they are. I can get a Baldwin significantly cheaper than a Fram orange can, and that should never be. On the other hand, the Ultra is at a very attractive price point for what you're getting, to the point that it's a reasonable option for my G37, in comparison to the price of the Wix. For my F-150, not so much. I'm not getting a Fram Ultra for $4.99 like I can with the Wix.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

The cabbies swear by them

Cabbies? If they're anything like the cabbies here, they can barely speak English....

Fleetguard has a package deal that includes a scented gold crown and beaded seat cover.

I've used their 3 major filters in my Jeep. No issues whatsoever.

The Extra Guard is actually my favorite.

Don't know why I went with the Ultra honestly. It won't see 15k.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

The cabbies swear by them

Cabbies? If they're anything like the cabbies here, they can barely speak English....

....and the last thing they drove...was a camel.

Fram is is not a good filter. Anybody can cut a filter apart and anybody can see they are put together cheaply. I think I will stick with Wix or Baldwin. Fram is trash

Last edited:
I used to be an anti Fram guy and only ran Tearolators. Came here and got my world flipped, now I can happily buy both my oil and filters at Wal Mart. Revolutionary.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back