FRAM XG7317 question..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently using a FRAM XG7317 on my 2019 RZR Turbo. I did my first oil change at 100 miles and added the XG7317 and planned on leaving it on for 500 miles at least.

I dropped the oil today at 250 miles and noticed a golden sheen on the bottom of my oil drain pan.. many many billions of tiny metal specs...

Since the filter did not catch any of these i replaced with another XG7317.

Are break in wear metals too fine for this filter? Should i have left it on?

I will drop the oil again in 250 more miles I just dont feel right leaving break in metals in the sump.

Breaking in? If the pieces are too small to be caught by an Ultra, they're likely too small to be doing any real damage-although only a UOA with particle count would tell for sure.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Are break in wear metals too fine for this filter? Should i have left it on?

Yes, that super fine metal "sheen" you see in the oil are particles probably too small to catch. Doubt leaving it on would have helped because if they could have been caught they would have by the oil circulating for even a short 250 miles. Changing the oil filter was a waste, only way to get that super fine particulate out is by changing the oil. Are you sure the oil pan was squeaky clean before draining?

Magnetic drain plugs are nice, especially during break-in. Catches some iron fuzz, small stuff. Fram Ultras filter better than about anything else on the market, so good choice there.
google dimple magnetic drain plug or goldplug as some of the best

Total waste of oil and filters in addition, to going against manufactures recommendation. Did some self-appointed expert give you the oil/filter change information? Ed

I doubt its the filter not filtering the specs. Rather the break in metals are sinking to the bottom of the pan and are staying there. The return oil doesnt get filtered only the supply oil.

I think just about everyone freaks out when they see the "glitter" in the drain pan in the bright sunlight.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Total waste of oil and filters in addition, to going against manufactures recommendation. Did some self-appointed expert give you the oil/filter change information? Ed

Not really an expert just the manual and the dealer.

I changed the oil at 20 hours

Not really a waste of oil and filters. The Polaris Kit is $60.

T6 15w40 $23 XG $8

Originally Posted by rshaw125
You're wasting a lot of oil and filters.

Probably so but i am changing per the manual and my dealers advice.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Originally Posted by rshaw125
You're wasting a lot of oil and filters.

Probably so but i am changing per the manual and my dealers advice.

What OEM recommends 500 mile OCI?

Originally Posted by dave1251
What OEM recommends 500 mile OCI?

Polaris ... sorry for the large image.

[Linked Image]

You could try s microgreen oil filter. They are designed to scrub out particles 2 microns and larger. That metal goo and or clusters your seeing are made up of particles too small for the ultra to catch.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
You could try s microgreen oil filter. They are designed to scrub out particles 2 microns and larger. That metal goo and or clusters your seeing are made up of particles too small for the ultra to catch.
I'd stick with a Fram Ultra but MicroGreen isn't bad. They might not be around for much longer, don't know. .... Still available over Amazon. If you do order one, make sure you go through Amazon and not their direct website (which may already be down for odering anyway as cost savings) so they will refund your money if they finally go out of business at the time you order one.

"SOMS filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Septembe 2018, declaring $536,000 in liabilities and less than $500,000 in assets that could be readily monetized. Its cash flow was weakening quickly, according to an affidavit by Miles Flamenbaum, vice president of corporate development.

The company had spent $600,000 in cash during the first nine months last year, leaving only $119,000.

"At the current rate of its cash burn," Flamenbaum said, SOMS "may run out of cash to properly operate its businesses within a few months.""

https://westfaironline.com/111000/s...yee-and-customer-of-using-trade-secrets/

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by Pinoak
I'd stick with a Fram Ultra but MicroGreen isn't bad. They might not be around for much longer, don't know. .... Still available over Amazon. If you do order one, make sure you go through Amazon and not their direct website (which may already be down for odering anyway as cost savings) so they will refund your money if they finally go out of business at the time you order one.

"SOMS filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Septembe 2018, declaring $536,000 in liabilities and less than $500,000 in assets that could be readily monetized. Its cash flow was weakening quickly, according to an affidavit by Miles Flamenbaum, vice president of corporate development.

The company had spent $600,000 in cash during the first nine months last year, leaving only $119,000.

"At the current rate of its cash burn," Flamenbaum said, SOMS "may run out of cash to properly operate its businesses within a few months.""

https://westfaironline.com/111000/s...yee-and-customer-of-using-trade-secrets/

Bankruptcy doesn't necessarily mean the end of a company ie.GM, Chrysler, champion labs etc. And many many others.
Yeah the microgreen sight will take you straight to Amazon if when you go to order.
So to the op, I guess you can follow the advice to stick with the ultra. I don't see how it will address your concern. Obviously the metal you see shows that the ultra cannot now nor will it probably ever be able to filter it out.
So either go with a special 2 part filter like microgreen or go with a by pass system or stay with the ultra and wait until the metal is removed by oil changes. You can see that the ultra is just a typical filter and can only do so much.

Im sticking with the Ultra.. due to this post

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4299547/Fram_Ultra_Efficiency_@_10_Mic

I am also draining the oil more often due to that post.

"dirt and foreign material measuring smaller than 10 microns will be small enough to be carried in suspension in the oil and will pass through even tight bearing clearances."

"foreign material in the range between 10 and 20 microns will potentially do the most engine damage over time."

"Fram Ultra Guard filter, it is 99 percent efficient at 20 microns. At 10 microns its 94 percent efficient"

So obviously the metal fines in my pan are smaller than 10 microns, which in turn means that i need to drop the oil more often of allow those metals to wear on the engine.

I am assuming that the wear metals are more damaging than dirt and foreign material.

This engine has to be harder on oil than most engines, the turbo glows cherry red and sees high rpms throughout the powerband.

I have no clue what the oil temps would be going through a glowing hot turbo.

My fuel mileage is around 9mpg with normal trail riding, on a 2cyl engine... So i consider the service to be beyond extreme duty not even factoring in the dirt, water and contaminants of off road.

Last edited:
"Fram Ultra Guard filter, it is 99 percent efficient at 20 microns. At 10 microns its 94 percent efficient

Hmm... Let's see the data to support that. I won't wait up because I already know it dosent exist.
Good laugh though...†

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back