Fram XG7317 cut open 17,000 miles

There are oil filter "experts" here who consider it a negative. They don't know why it's negative and can't explain it, but it is.... to them....

There are a few actual experts here, but I don't claim to be one.

The question in my mind is how far can the assembly bend/twist/flatten or become " wavy" before it becomes compromised?

It's great that they can and most often do stay together if the assembly twists, isnt it better if the assembly doesn't twist to begin with?

There are oil filter "experts" here who consider it a negative. They don't know why it's negative and can't explain it, but it is.... to them....
They explained it but you ignored it I guess? That said why should anyone here be happy with that. Products should improve and not regress. We didn't see this just a few years ago . Why is it acceptable now?

They didn't lower the price to compete with the $3 Chinese filters did they? No.

Nothing here to be thrilled with or excited about. The maker is reverting back to the same stupidity that gave them a bad reputation for decades no matter if it was true or valid.

Apparently the latest engineers are unaware of BITOG and the illustrious Ultra and TG fan club that once resided here.

I can no longer use the manufacturers product with pride or confidence at this point. Once not so long ago I did and it was proudly displayed here.

Not an attack on you by any means but the above is a reality for many here.

Considering hardly anybody in the whole universe cuts them open that doesn't mean a whole lot does it?
Quite a few new Ultras have been used and cut open here, and the only real "negative" seen so far is some wavy pleats. If there was an inherent design flaw going on (ie, media tearing like some other brands) with the non-wire backed version it probably would have shown up in some of those C&Ps done here.

Last edited:
They explained it but you ignored it I guess? That said why should anyone here be happy with that. Products should improve and not regress. We didn't see this just a few years ago . Why is it acceptable now?

They didn't lower the price to compete with the $3 Chinese filters did they? No.
Lot of other filters have regressed too ... and none have gone down in price, only up because of all this inflation going on. Part of the regression may also be due to companies trying to cut costs so they can try and keep the price from going up too much. All kinds of dynamic factors going on. The performance specs of the non-wire backed Ultra have not changed, but if it did then that would be more of a concern than it now showing wavy pleats after use.

Nothing here to be thrilled with or excited about. The maker is reverting back to the same stupidity that gave them a bad reputation for decades no matter if it was true or valid.

Apparently the latest engineers are unaware of BITOG and the illustrious Ultra and TG fan club that once resided here.

I can no longer use the manufacturers product with pride or confidence at this point. Once not so long ago I did and it was proudly displayed here.

Not an attack on you by any means but the above is a reality for many here.
If anyone is making an oil filer with wire-backed media a main buying criteria, then spend a few bucks more and get the Endurance or similar. The Endurance is rated for 25,000 miles, so most here could run it for 2 or 3 OCIs and get a better ROI if penny pinching is also part of the criteria.

Quite a few new Ultras have been used and cut open here, and the only real "negative" seen so far is some wavy pleats. If there was an inherent design flaw going on (ie, media tearing like some other brands) with the non-wire backed version it probably would have shown up in some of those C&Ps done here.
Come on Zee...so we have 10 or 15 filters cut open here..lol
I get what you are saying but you know better.lol
How many were sold in the last 3 years... Please don't answer 😂😂😂😂
Other than that you are okay..not wired backed but okay 💕

I get what you are saying but you know better.lol
How many were sold in the last 3 years... Please don't answer 😂😂😂😂
Other than that you are okay..not wired backed but okay 💕
Let me know when you find the first one that has media tears. 😄 As long as Fram keeps the pleat spacing in control, the chances of it happening are super slim. We all know that wide pleat spacing is the main factor in oil filters that tear media.

Products should improve and not regress. We didn't see this just a few years ago . Why is it acceptable now?

Are engines failing catastrophically in recent years because of this ?

I'd love to see products continue to improve and if not, at least remain the same, but there's no reason to believe this has any real-world negatives to it. Fact is, materials can be harder to get, can cost more, and so on so. Companies are NOT going to eat the higher costs so they can either raise the price or make changes that a) don't hurt the product and b) keep the price the same.

Let me know when you find the first one that has media tears. 😄 As long as Fram keeps the pleat spacing in control, the chances of it happening are super slim. We all know that wide pleat spacing is the main factor in oil filters that tear media.
Sadly that won't happen as I have a VW now and don't use Fram on it. That said Fram never had a great track record on pleat spacing.
I will bet you soon we will see that company start cheating the media and the pleat spacing will be like Fanny's hair line...you have to read back about my trip to Intercourse Pennsylvania. on here...

If I am wrong I will have to adopt @AutoMechanic or @OVERKILL your choice...deal?

Sadly that won't happen as I have a VW now and don't use Fram on it. That said Fram never had a great track record on pleat spacing.
I will bet you soon we will see that company start cheating the media and the pleat spacing will be like Fanny's hair line...you have to read back about my trip to Intercourse Pennsylvania. on here...

If I am wrong I will have to adopt @AutoMechanic or @OVERKILL your choice...deal?
Long as you don’t buy Mexican made Auto Extras. I e cut a lot that have tore. Their pleat spacing is horrible

I suspect like a lot of people on here I cut open many filters that don't get posted. Just yesterday I cut open probably 12 filters including about 6 Fram XGs of various sizes and vintages and did quick observations before tossing. Everything looked normal, and yes I saw a little bit of waviness in newer ones that ran over the winter. Frankly, the best looking filter of the bunch was a Motorcraft FL-1A that looks really old school with a string tied around the middle of the media. But that filter only runs about 100 hours on a big old Perkins 4.236 diesel in a boat so it doesn't get cold winter starts. Looked just about perfect. In fact, I have never found a hole in the media of any filter cut open, including the old PureOnes that supposedly were notorious for it. I've cut open a bunch of Motorcraft FL-820s that ran over long winters and were really, really wavy, with some big gaps, but no failures. I've never had an actual engine failure in more than 50 years of driving, including lots of old beaters that got cheap oil and filters at long OCIs and very little care. I suspect that today's engines, oils, and filters are so good that oil-related engine failure is very rare, assuming you don't drive with too little oil. I bet most of us would not even notice if the filter had a huge hole in the media, unless we happened to cut open that particular filter. But, nothing in the operation of the car would tell us otherwise, and chances would be very good the next filter wouldn't fail, no matter the brand.

Are engines failing catastrophically in recent years because of this ?

I'd love to see products continue to improve and if not, at least remain the same, but there's no reason to believe this has any real-world negatives to it. Fact is, materials can be harder to get, can cost more, and so on so. Companies are NOT going to eat the higher costs so they can either raise the price or make changes that a) don't hurt the product and b) keep the price the same.

In our business we raised the price based on what it takes to keep the product at parity.

This way the clients know exactly what they are getting and thats important in a business where you make money by the second.

As a customer my personal preference is to may more for parity vs retrograde.

Fram PH series has had wide pleat spacing on and off ... luck of the production line draw apparently. TG and new XG not so much. Even the Fram PH filter with wide pleat spacing don't seem to tear like other brands ... media isn't as brittle and weak apparently (another tearing factor).

That's why we scrutinize oil filters here ... to watch as they change to see where it goes. Automechanic ... someone needs to watch him around beer and license plates, lol.

In our business we raised the price based on what it takes to keep the product at parity.

This way the clients know exactly what they are getting and thats important in a business where you make money by the second.
The basic problem we are seeing in the filter business is that new owners inevitably come in with a bunch of borrowed money they need to pay off, and they put lots of pressure on everyone to cut costs and improve sales. The marketing types are put in charge of "improving" the products, while at the same time reducing the costs of manufacturing. The consumer stuff that we purchase is highly influenced by what the Walmarts of the world want. Very few consumers have any idea idea if a product is good or bad, or worse than it was before. If it looks good, the box is nice, and the marketing is right it will sell. Just take a look at all the ridiculous YouTube videos and social media articles about filters, or even peruse car forums (and even this forum!). There is more bad information than good information out there.

Cellulose should be resin impregnated(soaked or sealed) to reduce(actually eliminate) expansion growth... usually an issue with non-resin cellulose fiber caused only by moisture being absorbed, which also decreases filtration flow as the cellulose expands... and was not really an issue ever caused by 'oil'. Synth media fiber doesn't expand in oil either. So, I doubt it was growth unless the cellulose media was sourced back in the 1970's and 1980's. Any time you see resin used with cellulose media, the purpose is to eliminate media swelling which seals up the media. The resin curing allows a more consistent expectation from the media. Cellulose only media is 'variable' micron depending on water content in the oil. How's that for those milky oil caps we've seen over the years?

Take your Bounty quicker picker upper. Works great on water. Soak the dry Bounty in epoxy or supper glue, let it cure/dry, and then try again to clean up a spill, about the only simple comparison I can make for an easier understanding of resin coated/soaked cellulose.

The oil is simply pushing the media around. As long as it doesn't tear/leak, then all is good. The bypass should be low enough to protect the media. Or, the media should be supported, or strong enough, not to be assaulted by the oil.

For comparison, try a synth media filter from Amsoil, RoyalPurple, Purolator, Wix/Napa, Ryco, or the Fram Endurance for comparison with a supported media that has no cellulose.

Do we know for sure what causes filter media to become wavy? It seems like the consensus is moisture, but is there any scientific study or report that backs that up?

How do oil filters get sized (amount of media) for a particular engine?

My 2021 Subaru Forester has a 2.5L engine and holds 4.4 quarts of oil.
The OP's vehicle is a 2009 Armada LE with 5.6L engine (124% larger) and takes 6.9 quarts of oil (57% more).

Both vehicles use the very small 7317 oil filter. Intuitively one would think the Armada needs a much larger oil filter.

My 2021 Subaru Forester has a 2.5L engine and holds 4.4 quarts of oil.
The OP's vehicle is a 2009 Armada LE with 5.6L engine (124% larger) and takes 6.9 quarts of oil (57% more).

Both vehicles use the very small 7317 oil filter. Intuitively one would think the Armada needs a much larger oil filter.

My guess is would be by ability to contained measured contamination output over the duration of the intended OCI/ FCI/ PLUS a generous safety factor for the lazy or unknowing.

I was originally worried about the media size as well, but it turned out to be a complete non issue even given the frequent towing and high loads the truck has been subjected too- far more than most will ever see.

I suppose I could find a longer variant, but given Ive never see anything visible in the media I declared this a non issue in 04.

Most oil filters are specified for many different engines ... so, if the filter designer has any design skills he would ensure the filter will work fine through the engine manufacture's specified OCI in terms of expected required holding capacity. The filter's size (total media area) is a big factor in total holding capacity and how the dP increases as the media loads up. "Accountants" are not engineers, and any company that allows "accountants" to determine the specified filter size shouldn't be in business designing and selling oil filters, lol.

Last edited:
Back