Fram XG7317 cut open 17,000 miles

What does a wavy oil filter mean?
I would say it means that the filter was ran thru winter time, due to condensation and cold weather. Least that’s what I’ve witnessed doing cut and posts of vehicles that were driven thru winter and into late spring.

I would say it means that the filter was ran thru winter time, due to condensation and cold weather. Least that’s what I’ve witnessed doing cut and posts of vehicles that were driven thru winter and into late spring.
Okay so it's nothing actually wrong with the filter.. I got you. thank you.

Hengst used to make a filter for my old 02 saturn that was manufactured wavy intentionally. It was most likely to fit more media surface inside the filter.

Correct. If the filter doesn’t tear, I don’t mind if filter media is wavy honestly 🇺🇸👍
But the more wavy the media I would think that the likelihood of a tear is more of a possibility.
We have seen it before.

I ran the same old Ultra out to about 25k miles with the wire backing and it was absolutely like new. Not a wave at all anywhere. Not a fan of the new and improved

But the more wavy the media I would think that the likelihood of a tear is more of a possibility.
We have seen it before.

I ran the same old Ultra out to about 25k miles with the wire backing and it was absolutely like new. Not a wave at all anywhere. Not a fan of the new and improved
Yes Jim the real ULTRA’s that were wire backed were like tanks. I won’t touch a endurance or new style ULTRA OR TITANIUM.

We have seen it before.

I got 50K miles on an older wire backed Fram Ultra 7317.

Planning on taking it to 80K and send to Adam for autopsy photos.

The more posts I see like this the more convinced I am to buy a REALLY GOOD oil filter and keep it on for two OCIs....

My titan uses the same engine and would likely produce similar results, perhaps worse as I tow and routinely ascend 1-2K feet altitude in hot and cold environments.

Although not a failure - exactly what I was afraid I'd see, and why Im not going there. At some point the media will separate if that deflection continues.

I have a stash of OG's so I can hold out a loong time.

That little Honda filter on a big truck like that? I use the TG and FU in the 7317 and they haven't let me down yet. Thanks for sharing!!

Being a titan owner since year 1 I was bothered by the size of the filter for a long time.

I started cutting them back in 04 and never found anything visible in any of them even doing commercial work.

Man, the new blend media produces some ugly C&P's. Looks like it held up OK though.
For having 17,000 miles on it, doesn't look too bad except for the wavy pleats which doesn't really impact functionality. No reported torn non-wire backed Ultras yet, so the media seems to hold up. Of course if Fram goes off the QA rails and makes them with big wide pleat spacing, that might be a different scenario.

No reported torn non-wire backed Ultras yet, so the media seems to hold up. Of course if Fram goes off the QA rails and makes them with big wide pleat spacing, that might be a different scenario.
Considering hardly anybody in the whole universe cuts them open that doesn't mean a whole lot does it?

Back