Fram XG ADB failure

Could this be fake? Like someone using forceps to pull gasket out?
It could, but I don't think it's faked. The guts of the filter would have to be pretty loose in order to pull the ADBV out without damaging it. And if the guts of the filter are that loose, then the delta-p on the ADBV during use on the engine could do the same thing.

Since the threads occupy the same area as the pulled gasket I'm thinking it somehow got pinched and dragged out when the filter got removed.

Since the threads occupy the same area as the pulled gasket I'm thinking it somehow got pinched and dragged out when the filter got removed.
The threads on the filter mount don't come close to contacting the ADBV when the filter is mounted, so no way it could get pinched by the threads. If half the ADBV is pushed into the filter mount hole, the filter can be unscrewed and the ADBV will still be half way out the filter center hole like the photos show.

Last edited:
What was it on? A high performance LS with tight clearances, extreme oil pressure, and quick RPM blast is my guess…if it’s even legit.

The threads on the filter mount don't come close to contacting the ADBV when the filter is mounted, so no way it could get pinched by the threads. If half the ADBV is pushed into the filter mount hole, the filter can be unscrewed and the ADBV will still be half way out the filter center hole like the photos show.
I mean something failed got to think outside the box :D

1f4dc289-594c-4dd7-b62b-93f1724b27bf-jpeg.98254

I love these Fram posts... It seems that every few weeks a new post comes up about problems with Fram filters... Like the video that showed a Fram filter with no filter material inside the can taking it out of the box....That video lasted a few days before suddenly being taken off this site... The other was a Fram can rusted through....No mention about that one either... Now this one....O well it will be gone in a few days and then in about a week or two someone will post a new one about an issue with Fram filters...I enjoy reading and looking at the posts and some of the comments people make... Keep it up...Good reading...kind of like reading comics as a kid... :ROFLMAO:

I don't believe anything on redit.
The poster probably pulled outbthev ADV out on purpose.
I agree. If the oil filter was taken out in that condition, the engine supposed to be TOAST, because the ADV blocked the flow of oil going into the engine.

Reactions: hrv
Soft silicone won't block oil flow enough otherwise the engine would fail. Looks like enough of the 'pipe' would've been flowing oil. Helluva plug to have though and oil pushing around and thru that blockage.

Without seeing the filter cut open for inspection, or the video of filter removal, I won't slam Fram too much. But, since the XG is not full synthetic anymore, I won't bother with them either.

I've seen filters poorly assembled. I've seen filters damaged during shipping/handling. I've seen filters damaged during installation. And, I've seen filters damaged during removal. I've seen filters used for 2 or 3 intervals. I'd only blame Fram for an assembly issue which hasn't been proven here.

The silicone ADBV moving toward the center pipe, and finding its way to the threads CAN happen. It is unknown WHY. Filter needs to be sent to Fram or cut open for an autopsy. More needs to know about the installer, owner interval.... but, its more fun to slam Fram anyways.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I love these Fram posts... It seems that every few weeks a new post comes up about problems with Fram filters... Like the video that showed a Fram filter with no filter material inside the can taking it out of the box....That video lasted a few days before suddenly being taken off this site... The other was a Fram can rusted through....No mention about that one either... Now this one....O well it will be gone in a few days and then in about a week or two someone will post a new one about an issue with Fram filters...I enjoy reading and looking at the posts and some of the comments people make... Keep it up...Good reading...kind of like reading comics as a kid... :ROFLMAO:

All I can say is I use ULTRA and tough guard without issues. Cardboard endcaps be darned 🙊🐒

I use Fram XG Ultra Synthetic oil + Air filters. The Air filters are only sold at Walmart.
Both are 99%+ efficiency @ 20 microns.
I am very happy with the high quality and price, and these are the only oil/air filters I plan to ever use in any vehicle I own.

Back