Fram vs Wix

Not defending Pentius, I just threw it out as an option. My box says 20um@99%, but your always beholden to the OEM's spec if you don't want to pay for testing, and they can and do change the construction without notice. Still, if I had to believe something I would believe the printed material. As someone that has worked in a highly technical industry for 25 years, I don't believe any spec customer service sites without a spec sheet saying the same thing - including my own customer service people. This is in the industrial industry where you are held to your spec. Even there the spec is always manipulated - for some particular model in some particular set of conditions.

This site constantly refers to the Champ XL as 20um, but there is absolutely no documentation of that anywhere other than someone got an email from Champ at sometime. The same build Supertech labeled champ sites 30um. Who is correct - no one really knows?

You would think you could trust Fram, but they now are owned by the same company that owns Champ, and no one has actually paid to test any of the Fram's in the last few years that I am aware.

Ya, kinda sucks I agree.
I don't think there's been any question about Fram Ultra (or TG or FE) filtration efficiency being incorrectly stated.
The box says it, their customer service has confirmed it, independent testing confirms. No data that i'm aware of to the contrary.

I don't think there's been any question about Fram Ultra (or TG or FE) filtration efficiency being incorrectly stated.
The box says it, their customer service has confirmed it, independent testing confirms. No data that i'm aware of to the contrary.
You missed my point. You replied to me calling out the Pentius spec based on something someone here said which was negative even though the Pentius written spec contradicts what you say.

Yet this site in general accepts something someone said regarding Champ which was positive, even though there is nothing in writing supporting that spec - anywhere.

Fram publishes numbers. Historically they have been very accurate, however Fram is now First Brands, all the construction has been changed, and no Fram has actually been tested recently. This all may mean nothing, or everything.

Not to mention every published spec is for a specific model. One would think they would choose the model to publish that works best. That is what I would do. :ROFLMAO:

So you essentially condemn Pentius and endorse Fram, based on how you feel or someone else feels at the moment?

If you want to believe one manufacturer and not the other, feel free. I tend to believe what is published in writing until its proven otherwise.🤷‍♂️

But in the end there is enough misinformation in the filter world to wonder if any of it isn't bs.

I still plan to try a Pentius. I still plan to use up the Fram's in my drawer and not buy anymore due to wavy pleats on those models at least. I am too cheap to buy the endurance.

That $2 CCP made ecogard is looking better all the time.

Nothing wrong with Wix, run them on 2 of my cars, unless you have rocks in the oil you'll be fine. ;)

Microgard Select :) Don't think Wix XP is worth the price at all IMO.
**** how did I forget the Microgard Select, excellent filter and probably the best currently on the market in terms of construction/quality control with good efficiency 99% 25 Microns

Let me ask you then…….for the money if I can get wix Xp for $6.50 would I be stupid to pass it up?
If you don't care much about filtering efficiency, then sure. What kind of filter efficiency do you look for, if any?

Money also isn’t an issue unless I’m like just lighting $100 bills on fire for no reason!
If you don't mind spending a bit more for an oil filter, then just go get a Fram Endurance at Walmart. As mentioned earlier, they are only available at Walmart. For your use, as others mentioned, the Fram Ultra and Tough Guard (and some others) would also be a good match. It all boils down to what your requirements are for an oil filter. If efficiency is one of those requirements, the the field is narrowed down some.

If you don't care much about filtering efficiency, then sure. What kind of filter efficiency do you look for, if any?
Honestly was just looking for quality but want to keep it simple. Like ordering Amsoil or royal purple from select people or websites and I'm out. I would like to go to auto store and see it in person type deal.

I think the wire backing really only makes a difference for longer oil change intervals. The extra guard and tough guard media is pretty stout, I've tried to tear it when cutting them open and it takes significant effort.
Save the $5 then. If I can skip changing a filter once or twice and save time, $5 is easily worth it.

I want something of higher quality…..service at 7k usually now but if needed to go back to 5k I would be ok with that.
To add ... another option is if you are running 5K to 7K OCIs, you could run a Fram Endurance for 3 OCIs, and then it would only cost you about $4 per FCI. If you want to change the filter every time, then just use something like an EG or TG, or similar.

I’m not going to contact him…..it was an opinion question……anyways why did you bring up the fram FE series?
Well, everyone on this Forum will give you an Opinion, and it is an opinion, wheras ZeeOSix knows what he is talking about when it comes to Oil Filters. I used 2 ask him questions and he mostly had a different answer, and he was right, and I was wrong. What I am pointing out is that I was expecting his opinion 2 b the same as mine.

Now, it is like, I have 2 oil filters that I can buy, which 1 do I get! And ZeeOSix will tell me which one I should buy.

To add ... another option is if you are running 5K to 7K OCIs, you could run a Fram Endurance for 3 OCIs, and then it would only cost you about $4 per FCI. If you want to change the filter every time, then just use something like an EG or TG, or similar.
Thankyou for all your input. Sounds like I may venture down the endurance road.

Save the $5 then. If I can skip changing a filter once or twice and save time, $5 is easily worth it.
I get it, but the Tough Guard has a 15k rating, so unless you are doing 2 10k intervals it would still cover it. I like the Endurance, but for $13 and the difficulty at least for me of having to deal with my WalMart not keeping them in stock, it isn't worth it for my application.

Back