Wix 51522 vs Fram XG9837

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Tahoe 5.3L, 245k miles, Driven LS30 changed every 10k miles.

It's time to change the oil and filter, and I'm not sure which filter to go with this time around. I'm currently using a Wix 51042 (short OEM size just 3.4" tall) filter, but would like to use one of the taller options this time around.

Wix 51522

Dimensions: 2.92" W x 4.53" T
Efficiency: 95% @ 20 microns
ADBV: Yes, silicone
Cost: $8.76 (tax included)

Fram XG9837

Dimensions: 2.98" W x 4.06" T
Efficiency: 99+% @ 20 microns
ADBV: Yes, silicone
Cost: $10.25 (tax included)

I like the better efficiency of the Fram Ultra, but the Wix is almost 1/2" taller and $1.50 cheaper. Help me decide.

Are there any C&Ps of these two filters? Total media area in in^2?

The Wix data shows it's 50% efficient at 6 microns (at least the white washed info anyway), what is the Fram Ultra's efficiency at 6 microns?

You will never be able to prove in real life use which filter is better.. Go for the lowest cost.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
You can find Wix filters pretty cheap by the case. I bought my case from a place called Discount Fleet Supply. They have the MP (master pack) version that comes in shrink wrap for about $46 plus shipping.

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/nsearch.html?query=51522

I thought about that, but I end up changing the oil on this thing about once a year. I'm not sure about stocking up on 12 years worth of filters when I don't know if I'll even have the vehicle that long. If I was putting 10k miles on it every 3-4 months, it would be a different story.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
The Wix data shows it's 50% efficient at 6 microns (at least the white washed info anyway), what is the Fram Ultra's efficiency at 6 microns?

Fram Ultra is 80% at 5 microns, so I'd estimate it's 82% at 6 microns.
Fram Ultra wins easily here. Also, it has a wire-backed media.
Fram Ultra also can last for around 20,000 miles, meaning you can leave it on for 2 oil changes, a $$$ saver.

I like the better efficiency of the Fram Ultra, but the Wix is almost 1/2" taller and $1.50 cheaper. Help me decide.

Is your goal to maximize filtering efficiency or saving $1.50? The up sizing won't get you much in the WIX if the bypass valve is on the base end.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Is your goal to maximize filtering efficiency or saving $1.50? The up sizing won't get you much in the WIX if the bypass valve is on the base end.

I agree, and is it me or does it seem odd that the OP is struggling over spending the additional $1.50 for obvious, superior filtration.

Respectfully,
Ed

The $1.50 is a moot point. Superior filtration is what I'm ultimately after so Fram Ultra it is. I guess I knew my answer from the beginning.

The TG9837 doesn't have an ADBV.

How do you guys feel the acquisition of Fram by Trico will effect the Fram filter quality moving forward?

Wix - I had no trouble running a regular Wix on my Escape for almost 15K miles... And that's on a 51348 which is much smaller. I still trust Wix more than Fram, even though the specifications suggests a Fram Ultra is a better filter than the Wix.

Last edited:
I agree^^^

I bet the Wix would be good for 15k miles like you stated...
The Fram Ultra filters are likely good for 25k miles... And likely even 30k miles in larger sizes.

Maybe an ACDelco PF61? I rather like OEM for almost anything without worry about micron ratings or whatnot. There are owners getting hundreds of thousands of miles on basic oil with OE filters.

So why does the XG9837 have an ADV, but the PH and TG do not? That is weird.
How is the filter mounted?
Never seen a filter that had different internal parts like that. Seems if there is no need for an ADV, there is no need regardless of filter media type.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Never seen a filter that had different internal parts like that. Seems if there is no need for an ADV, there is no need regardless of filter media type.

That puzzled me as well, but I was in Walmart this morning and pulled all 3 PH/TG/XG9837 filters off the shelf to look at them. The PH and TG filters did not have an ADBV. I could see right through to the fiber end caps. The XG had a silicone ADBV.

The filter is mounted vertical, entrance/exit facing upward.

Should be base up. I remember the AC PF52 filter for my dad's 1990 Chevy Lumina APV. The filter was mounted diagonally but base pointing up. The owners manual said that PF52 or PF51 were acceptable. I saw the latter once, and it was identical other than the check value. And when it's pointed up it's more for preventing backflushing of the oil.

That puzzled me as well, but I was in Walmart this morning and pulled all 3 PH/TG/XG9837 filters off the shelf to look at them. The PH and TG filters did not have an ADBV. I could see right through to the fiber end caps. The XG had a silicone ADBV.

The filter is mounted vertical, entrance/exit facing upward.

Yeah, Fram's site says it to, the PH and TG don't have one, but the XG does.
Who knows.

The TG9837 doesn't have an ADBV....

I was thinking the same thing ... strange. But looking at Fram's website it does show that only the XG in the 9837 line has a ADBV. It is for an older GM, and notice they also none of them have a bypass valve as the filter bypass is built into the block on this engine. Maybe the PH and TG don't have an ADBV because it's a "left over" spec on not being needed on this GM engine? Does seem strange the XG is the only on with the ADBV.

PH9837
https://www.fram.com/parts-search/PH9837

TG9837
https://www.fram.com/parts-search/TG9837

XG9837
https://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG9837

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I agree, and is it me or does it seem odd that the OP is struggling over spending the additional $1.50 for obvious, superior filtration.

Respectfully,
Ed

This point for some reason falls deaf on BITOG ears. Buy on price the engine's life will not be effected positively or negatively by either WIX or Fram filters. So "superior" filteration is a non factor in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back