Wix 51522 vs Fram XG9837

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251

This point for some reason falls deaf on BITOG ears. Buy on price the engine's life will not be effected positively or negatively by either WIX or Fram filters. So "superior" filteration is a non factor in the real world.

Why do you consider superior filtration to not be a factor in choosing a filter?

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I like the better efficiency of the Fram Ultra, but the Wix is almost 1/2" taller and $1.50 cheaper. Help me decide.

Is your goal to maximize filtering efficiency or saving $1.50? The up sizing won't get you much in the WIX if the bypass valve is on the base end.

I agree, and is it me or does it seem odd that the OP is struggling over spending the additional $1.50 for obvious, superior filtration.

Respectfully,
Ed

This point for some reason falls deaf on BITOG ears. Buy on price the engine's life will not be effected positively or negatively by either WIX or Fram filters. So "superior" filteration is a non factor in the real world.

Just because an engine "seems to still run good" with high mileage doesn't mean it isn't worn.

I'm still waiting for someone to link official studies that show dirtier oil doesn't cause more engine wear.

Go to the section entitled "Don't Forget the Oil Filter".

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/31395/engine-oils-filters

The XG3506(S) and longer XG9837 and 51522 filters are ALL great. The wire-backed Fram filters would last longer under the hood. That being said, and with the understanding it's slightly longer and possesses more capacity as compared to the normally shorter filter, I wouldn't leave a quality 51522 in-place longer than 10K miles. It's your choice on what to use.

Personally, I use either of the Frams noted above myself. Whatever is cheaper when ordered in larger groupings, like 6 or more. Note: I've still had a dented filter canister when ordering the Frams on-line. The fewer and thicker 0.020 canisters don't seem to suffer this fate in the mail...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
The TG9837 doesn't have an ADBV.

So why does the XG9837 have an ADV, but the PH and TG do not? That is weird.
How is the filter mounted?
Never seen a filter that had different internal parts like that. Seems if there is no need for an ADV, there is no need regardless of filter media type.

This would be a good question for "Motorking" (here on BITOG. Jay Buckley, Motorking Automotive, [email protected], 248-808-4551).

I'm pretty sure Jay WORKS for Fram!

smile.gif

Ed

Jay used to work for Fram. I believe there was a big layoff and he was one of many let go.
I had emailed him just a few weeks ago at his "work" email address, and he never replied.
I then saw a post from him relating the layoff.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
New Wix 51522

Used Wix 51522XP

I saw those. Is it true what you said that the XP had only half the square area?

Well yes, you can see the tape measure.

210in² for the standard Wix and 108in² for the Wix XP.

The synthetic media functions differently. It depth loads, vs surface loading for the cellulose media. It also flows better, so you need less surface area for the same flow rate.

If you click through my created posts you'll see a wide variety of filters cut open for the Gen III small block.

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
This would be a good question for "Motorking" (here on BITOG. Jay Buckley, Motorking Automotive, [email protected], 248-808-4551).

I'm pretty sure Jay WORKS for Fram!

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Jay used to work for Fram. I believe there was a big layoff and he was one of many let go.
I had emailed him just a few weeks ago at his "work" email address, and he never replied.
I then saw a post from him relating the layoff.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...lo-and-goodbye-to-my-old-job#Post5050994

I've been using the Wix 51522 on my '01 Silverado since my stash of PF59 ran out. Napa Gold 1522 is the same filter. The Wix is under $5 at Rockauto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back