FRAM Ultra XG11665 [10K Miles]

From my Rubicon with two 5K OCs. The Pentastar tends to twist its filters and the FRAM is one of the shorter ones. I have tried to pre-lube both o-rings and the base to no avail, it makes no difference, they still twist a bit. I will likely run the new one for the full 20K (four 5K OCs).

Enjoy!

2zgJg2.jpg

2zgH0l.jpg

2zg9f4.jpg

2zUpsf.jpg

Thank you for posting :)

It seems the plastic mesh isn't strong enough.

Next time, try the Wix XP/Napa Platinum. It has a wire mesh backing, so it should be stronger and not twist.
Wix WL10010XP or Napa 4100010

Thank you for posting :)

It seems the plastic mesh isn't strong enough.

Next time, try the Wix XP/Napa Platinum. It has a wire mesh backing, so it should be stronger and not twist.
Wix WL10010XP or Napa 4100010
Strong enough for what? I have seen WIX XP twist too. No harm done by the twisting and I will take the 20um @99.9% of the FRAM vs. 40um or higher on the WIX. The FRAM is cheaper than the WIX to boot.

Strong enough for what? I have seen WIX XP twist too. No harm done by the twisting and I will take the 20um @99.9% of the FRAM vs. 40um or higher on the WIX. The FRAM is cheaper than the WIX to boot.

The Wix is cheaper when Napa puts it on sale for $6 or so. The Fram Ultra cartridge is over $10 and never on sale.

The Wix is cheaper when Napa puts it on sale for $6 or so. The Fram Ultra cartridge is over $10 and never on sale.
I have never found a NAPA sale and have looked at many NAPA stores in multiple states through multiple years--I stopped chasing the rainbow. Running the FRAM for multiple OCs drops the cost and it is a better filter.

Reactions: JC1
CarbonSteel, Did you unscrew then re-install the filter when you changed oil?
No, I replaced it with a new one. Since it has two o-rings, I did not want to take the chance it would leak. This one will stay put for the next 20K miles, but the oil will be changed 4 times during that time.

They twist in the Pentastar 3.2 as well. Tried OEM, Wix, and Fram XG...all of 'em do it to some degree. None of the ones I mentioned that I've used have failed (tear, etc).

The CH11665s I use in my ‘14 JGC Pentastar always come out perfectly straight. Does everyone firmly snap the filter into the cap before installing? I only run them 5k due a lot of short trips.

Guys, ask Kevin @OIL_UDDER about the twist. He designed the engine. Says the Chubby Checker is 100% normal and causes no issue.

Btw, I've never torn apart pleats held together more strongly than those polymer or nylon backed pleats on this very filter. None.

That filter's limitation will only be the crud capacity. Should go 20k in that engine with no sweat.

The CH11665s I use in my ‘14 JGC Pentastar always come out perfectly straight. Does everyone firmly snap the filter into the cap before installing? I only run them 5k due a lot of short trips.
Yep; I have tried every trick in the book and they still twist to some degree. Another huge variable in how much the filter may twist is the overall length of the filter. They are not all the same. I have measured a FRAM, Mahle, Hastings, and WIX and the FRAM is one of the shortest.

Last edited:
I don’t think Fram says 99.9. The odd thing about the plastic mesh is it a hallmark of Mann/Purolator Boss filters. I think Fram buys the media or whole filter from them and rebadges it, but leaves the Ultra efficiency rating the same as the USA made Ultras. Which is interesting if true and I think it is true. I can’t see Fram copying Purolator right down to the plastic mesh and white media in their own factory, would make no sense.

I don’t think Fram says 99.9. The odd thing about the plastic mesh is it a hallmark of Mann/Purolator Boss filters. I think Fram buys the media or whole filter from them and rebadges it, but leaves the Ultra efficiency rating the same as the USA made Ultras. Which is interesting if true and I think it is true. I can’t see Fram copying Purolator right down to the plastic mesh and white media in their own factory, would make no sense.
We have beaten this to death on BITOG. FRAM Ultra's have a 2-ply synthetic, metal-screen-reinforced media which provides 99%+ filtration efficiency.*

*FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of PH8A, 3387A and 4967 or equivalent FRAM TG or EG models under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns.

The cartridge Ultra filters have a plastic mesh for better bonding of the end caps. The original cartridge Ultra filters had issues with the end caps coming off and those filters had metal mesh and thus FRAM switched. Of one thing I am sure, FRAM is not copying Mann+Hummel/Purolator, nor are they rebranding Purolator filters or their media--else their filters would also have the obligatory tears and end cap separation. I see FRAM as leading the edge on R&D and willing to make changes in their filter engineering to actually improve the product vs. the non-action M+H has done since acquiring Purolator.

I agree. The XG11665 is probably contracted out to Mann. A few other recent XG cartridges are also plastic mesh Korean filters, such as the XG10246 (GM 1.4/1.8 Ecotec)

Someone left a review for the Boss on AAP's page and included pics, and it looks just like the Ultra. Search for PBL36296 on AAP, and the pics come up.

It's also odd because Mann also owns Wix now, and the Wix XP is not the same as the Boss and Ultra: the XP actually has a metal wire mesh for their version.

The Boss and Ultra are both Korean. The XP is made in the US (though most XP cartridges are made in Poland).

I agree. The XG11665 is probably contracted out to Mann. A few other recent XG cartridges are also plastic mesh Korean filters, such as the XG10246 (GM 1.4/1.8 Ecotec)

Someone left a review for the Boss on AAP's page and included pics, and it looks just like the Ultra. Search for PBL36296 on AAP, and the pics come up.

It's also odd because Mann also owns Wix now, and the Wix XP is not the same as the Boss and Ultra: the XP actually has a metal wire mesh for their version.

The Boss and Ultra are both Korean. The XP is made in the US (though most XP cartridges are made in Poland).
Color me incredibly skeptical and I would have to have much more proof than some photos. If we are going to use that as "proof" then why does the FRAM have a green o-ring versus the black on the Purolator? Too bad Jay with FRAM is not still on the board to confirm or deny.

Edit: Actually, I disagree that FRAM is contracting to M+H. When I review the photos of the Boss versus the Ultra, there are a number of differences:

1. The end cap thickness is not the same. The end cap on the Boss has a raised lip that envelops the media whereas the Ultra is completely flat.
2. The potting glue is not the same. The potting glue on the Boss is tan whereas the Ultra is black.
3. The media pleats are not the same. The media pleats on the Boss are thicker and rounded whereas the Ultra has thin, sharp pleats.
4, The o-rings are not the same. The o-ring on the Boss is black whereas the Ultra has a green one.

Not sure what any of that means, but to me it means that FRAM is building its own filters.

Last edited:
+++ One in my Rubicon and two still in the box … plan to do 2x 5k OCI and then pull that first one …

... The cartridge Ultra filters have a plastic mesh for better bonding of the end caps. The original cartridge Ultra filters had issues with the end caps coming off and those filters had metal mesh and thus FRAM switched. ...
The Ultra 10358 cartridge still has the metal screen.

The Ultra 10358 cartridge still has the metal screen.
It may be on the larger OD filters there is enough potting material to securely hold the end caps. I know in my conversations with Jay, that FRAM was switching to plastic mesh to prevent the separation issues on several of the cartridge lines.

I don’t know who took the picture in the photo but the filter has a raised lip on the end caps? The chances are zero that Fram accidentally developed a plastic mesh backing just like the Mann filters and decided to have it made in Korea where MH also makes an identical white media plastic mesh filter. They may specify a few things but my guess is Fram buys it, the media or the whole thing, from Mann. The only part interesting to me is they still claim USA Ultra efficiency numbers on a different media.

Back