Fram Ultra - where's the manufacturer date code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 7317 Ultra sitting in front of me... and after staring at it, tilting it, changing the lighting etc., I don't see anything resembling a date code... anywhere on the filter...

And did Fram change the paint and graphics on the Ultra's ... this last one seems a little cheap.. paint is less golden and mine had a cheap looking, peeling sticker on it ...

Noticeably different from the last one, same model number 7317...

Not that it matters... but hey, it is an "ULTRA..."

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

A43032

O.K., so it was made on the 2nd shift on October 30th, 2014?

Does that look right?

Looks right based on the information we have. I bought them (they are both the same) at WM in March.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
I have a 7317 Ultra sitting in front of me... and after staring at it, tilting it, changing the lighting etc., I don't see anything resembling a date code... anywhere on the filter...

Look just above the tapping plate, it is laser etched lengthwise (baseplate to dome). A shop lamp helped in my case to see it.

Last edited:
So the date code is actually etched on the (I'll call it) canister itself near the tapping plate? Is that where you found it?

Ed

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
So the date code is actually etched on the (I'll call it) canister itself near the tapping plate? Is that where you found it?

Ed

Yes... Give me a while and I'll see if I can manage a photo...

Last edited:
I have a new FU as well. If you look at the side of the can under light and you turn it back and forth you will see the etched date code. You really have to look carefully and turn it back and forth under light to be able to see it.

Note that I used a sharpie to bring this up for photography.

XG7317date.jpg

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Note that I used a sharpie to bring this up for photography.

XG7317date.jpg

Cool, thanks. The sharpie worked pretty darn well!

I think I'll e-mail Jay (i.e., Motorking) and suggest Fram print the code on the outside of the box also and see what he says.

Ed

I thought I'd let everyone know that I got an e-mail from "Motorking" and he's going to see what he can do about smooth-talking Fram into printing the date code on the outside of the filter box!

smile.gif

Ed

I just bought a Fram Ultra at my local Wally World on Tuesday. By the date code etched on it, A50561, it was made during the first shift on Wednesday, Feb. 25, 2015. Only two months old and ready to be put on my car with a fresh fill of 5w20 Penn. Platinum.

L8R,
Matt

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I doubt Fram (or any other manufacturer) would go through the trouble of putting a date code on each individual box. Just adds cost and complicates manufacturing.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
..... I doubt Fram (or any other manufacturer) would go through the trouble of putting a date code on each individual box. Just adds cost and complicates manufacturing.

x 1000 for common sense. Same thought yest. when I first read the comment (amongst thinking others things about it). Coordinated date coding of boxes would add major logistical complications, not to mention extra costs involved with such an undertaking. I'll add it would be a needless expense. It's not like FU in the sealed box is going to expire before it's completed use. And how many average users (read, non bitog) would even notice or give a rip snort about it. Common sense again.

Bottom line, I wouldn't hold my breath for 'smooth talking' of a pipe dream.
whistle.gif

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I doubt Fram (or any other manufacturer) would go through the trouble of putting a date code on each individual box. Just adds cost and complicates manufacturing.

I agree. I guess what *I* would prefer as a consumer would be to have the date code on the box - I don't really care about it being on the filter as much. When I e-mailed Motorking, I'm pretty sure that what I asked him if Fram would consider.

Ed

^^^ Try a real strong flashlight.

thankyou2.gif

Used my HD lights and it worked.

A50141

2015 January 14 shift 1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back