Fram Ultra VS Hyundai OEM Filter.

Hyundai filters (OE) are made by a joint venture of Hyundai and Mann.
I still have a couple questions lol

I was just about to post a thread asking about who makes the Hyundai OEM filters... Anyone have any "specs" on these Hyundai OEM oil filters? P/N: 26300-35504 in comparison to like a Fram ultra spec for the same vehicle?

Just wondering what makes the OEM filters so special for these 2.4L motors. The OEM filters are all i use now on the Sonata, Forte - they use the same filter, and they are both 2.4l's, plus they are reasonable at around $7.50 a filter, vs the ultra's 9-10, but I'm just curious about the construction, bypass pressure settings and things like the anti-drain back valve material, basically I'm looking for any and all information on the OEM Hyundai filter.

I will continue to use OEM filters, I just would like to know what I'm using so i have a better understanding.. Most of BITOG recommendation that I deep six the fram's and stick with OEM filter for the Hyundai's, so i did, and never looked back. I honestly sleep better at night knowing I'm using an OEM oil filter especially on the Hyundai's 2.4L engines that may or may not have oil issues lol. At least I did everything in my power to prevent a failure and if something did happen, well i was using OEM spec oil and filter.

I'm rambling on now but that's my questions about the OEM Hyundai oil filters. also to note, i'd still use an ultra, just not on a Hyundai. Thanks!

Last edited:
I still have a couple questions lol

I was just about to post a thread asking about who makes the Hyundai OEM filters... Anyone have any "specs" on these Hyundai OEM oil filters? P/N: 26300-35504 in comparison to like a Fram ultra spec for the same vehicle?

Just wondering what makes the OEM filters so special for these 2.4L motors. The OEM filters are all i use now on the Sonata, Forte - they use the same filter, and they are both 2.4l's, plus they are reasonable at around $7.50 a filter, vs the ultra's 9-10, but I'm just curious about the construction, bypass pressure settings and things like the anti-drain back valve material, basically I'm looking for any and all information on the OEM Hyundai filter.

I will continue to use OEM filters, I just would like to know what I'm using so i have a better understanding.. Most of BITOG recommendation that I deep six the fram's and stick with OEM filter for the Hyundai's, so i did, and never looked back. I honestly sleep better at night knowing I'm using an OEM oil filter especially on the Hyundai's 2.4L engines that may or may not have oil issues lol. At least I did everything in my power to prevent a failure and if something did happen, well i was using OEM spec oil and filter.

I'm rambling on now but that's my questions about the OEM Hyundai oil filters. also to note, i'd still use an ultra, just not on a Hyundai. Thanks!

Bypass spec is 20psi to the best of my knowledge. ADBV is silicone. I personally find this to be one of the best constructed oil filters I've ever seen and all materials are top notch. The only question mark that remains unconfirmed is with filtration efficiency, I have heard it suggested that it is at the industry benchmark of 99% @ 50 microns but others have suggested something more like 99% @ 30 or 35 microns so it's tough to say definitively.

Here's one thing I can say and you are free to take it anecdotally or however you like, I remember some years ago Hyundai corporate representatives talking about certain aspects of this oil filter and specifically why it is built the way it is and furthermore why it should be the only oil filter you should consider using. The key points I remember was them saying that under no circumstances should usage exceed 7500 miles and that the oil filters were built specifically to withstand intense pressure spikes that can occur in all Hyundai built engines. The key things in my experience using them and hearing from others who have used them is that I've never seen or even heard about these oil filters failing in any way. Probably one of the biggest reasons to use them instead of using an aftermarket filter is because many, if not most, aftermarket filters will cause a distinct engine knock to occur.

I know that Fram has modified all their 9688 series oil filters in recent years to comply with Hyundai specs and while I have not seen any Fram filters that have failed in usage with Hyundai engines, some have commented that engine knocking occurs when using one of their filters. I have not had this experience myself using ultra, titanium, and orange can filters on my 2012 Hyundai Accent.

Bypass spec is 20psi to the best of my knowledge. ADBV is silicone. I personally find this to be one of the best constructed oil filters I've ever seen and all materials are top notch. The only question mark that remains unconfirmed is with filtration efficiency, I have heard it suggested that it is at the industry benchmark of 99% @ 50 microns but others have suggested something more like 99% @ 30 or 35 microns so it's tough to say definitively.

Here's one thing I can say and you are free to take it anecdotally or however you like, I remember some years ago Hyundai corporate representatives talking about certain aspects of this oil filter and specifically why it is built the way it is and furthermore why it should be the only oil filter you should consider using. The key points I remember was them saying that under no circumstances should usage exceed 7500 miles and that the oil filters were built specifically to withstand intense pressure spikes that can occur in all Hyundai built engines. The key things in my experience using them and hearing from others who have used them is that I've never seen or even heard about these oil filters failing in any way. Probably one of the biggest reasons to use them instead of using an aftermarket filter is because many, if not most, aftermarket filters will cause a distinct engine knock to occur.

I know that Fram has modified all their 9688 series oil filters in recent years to comply with Hyundai specs and while I have not seen any Fram filters that have failed in usage with Hyundai engines, some have commented that engine knocking occurs when using one of their filters. I have not had this experience myself using ultra, titanium, and orange can filters on my 2012 Hyundai Accent.
THANK YOU, for the detailed response!. Really appreciate the information that you're relying!. 5K max on forte, 6K max on Sonata are my mileage caps. Reading what you wrote I am definitely gonna stick with OEM no questions asked on these Hyundai engines. It good to know that the OEM filter are not bottom of the barrel and its constructed very well, I feel very good about that. I initially thought I was "downgrading" by using the OEM filter but I was wrong on that. I will continue to use OEM filters and sleep great at night. THANKS!.

I use an Ultra xg9688 on both my Hyundai's. 7500k miles is the usual oil change but the filter goes two times.. This last time I went back to a Hyundai filter to see if any difference in pressure. There wasn't. I don't know about pressure spikes. My aftermarket oil pressure gauge is pretty stable as you can see a slow steady rise with rpm until the pump bypass holds to a max of about 80 psi at 6k-7k rpm.

Back