Fram Ultra… did they switch back to wire screen backed media or did I buy old stock? XG4386

When did the switch away from the wire backed media start? Could it have been a pandemic shortage thing that prompted the change and now getting back to normal? I know Amsoil made a couple changes due to issues with material supply.

I recently picked up every wire backed Fram in my size I could find on eBay that was not over $10 per filter. Most I got were about $7-8 including shipping which is fine with me.

At $11 I can get Royal Purple so I won’t pay much more than $10 even if it’s the OG wire backed. Although being that the OG performed better than Royal Purple… in theory I should be willing to pay at least $11 or slightly more since it’s superior to the Royal Purple…
The RP at $11 is a MUCH BETTER deal than the Ultra-the RP has a MUCH thicker can, and a better paint job than any Ultra, if you live in a rust-prone area. The incremental efficiency difference isn't enough to negate the possibility of catastrophic failure from rust!

When did the switch away from the wire backed media start? Could it have been a pandemic shortage thing that prompted the change and now getting back to normal? I know Amsoil made a couple changes due to issues with material supply.
Think it was around 8 months or so ago. Now the Titaniums seem to be morphing too.

OK, you guys someone talk to me about these date codes… These are from the same order from rockauto…packaging on both looks almost exactly the same…. but upon further examination one has the USA flag and the other does not have the USA flag on the box. (even though both are still made in USA)

But check out these date codes!! am I really placing an order at rock auto and they’re sending me filters that are made 20 years apart? I have a hard time believing that there’s a 20 year gap with stock on the shelf. I did only receive one labeled like this though.

I believe we may have been reading these date codes incorrectly, or someone at rock auto found an old 2002 filter WAYYYYY on the back shelf to throw in with my 2022 filters. I will admit that the box on the “supposedly older“ one looks a little more beat up, but I don’t know if it’s a 20 year difference lol.

Attachments

• BBAE4EA7-1652-4BC8-B516-C2407A9C3936.jpeg
    BBAE4EA7-1652-4BC8-B516-C2407A9C3936.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 66
  • AE4E7DED-4443-4EA5-8C37-856E3CDC8731.jpeg
    AE4E7DED-4443-4EA5-8C37-856E3CDC8731.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 67
OK, you guys someone talk to me about these date codes…

I believe we may have been reading these date codes incorrectly
This sticky at the top of the oil filter forum shows how to read Fram date codes, and other brands too. One was made in late 2020 and the other in late 2022. You can decipher the Julian date out of them by looking at the link below.

This sticky at the top of the oil filter forum shows how to read Fram date codes, and other brands too. One was made in late 2020 and the other in late 2022. You can decipher the Julian date out of them by looking at the link below.

Thank you, it seems I was reading it incorrectly

My opinion is that the new version of the Ultra is actually significantly better!

50% more surface area 133 sqin verses 89 sqin for the new vs OG XG10535.

Plus the new media has slightly higher efficiency, according to Fram. Still better than 99% at 20 microns.

We just have to get past the wavy look of the pleats.

The old media was depth media you cannot judge it on area alone.

Go back and read some on motorkings post - explain the discrepancy in his numbers and Frams "old ultra media" numbers.

The old media was depth media you cannot judge it on area alone....
Exactly, apples and oranges. OG Ultra media, 2 ply full synthetic glass depth media using a wire backing for support. New Ultra, thin synthetic layer backed by thin blended media layer for support.

As for topic, depending on application might be some wire backed OG media Ultras still around. Do I think FB going back to the OG media construction on Ultra? No, I believe that shipped has sailed. And, based on November last year observation of AAP Titanium 7317 application, two most recent of four made 22, no wire backing observed.

Okay, after going back through many past discussions on this topic I saw a lot of speculation regarding the new media vs OG. I agree that it is not just about the surface area.

I also have seen the independent testing showing that the previous version met or likely exceeded Fram’s 99% at 20 micron claim and also had good dirt holding capacity. Fram was proven to meet their marketing claims. I expect the new version will offer similar or better performance based on the fact that they still claim 99% at 20 microns and good for 20,000 miles.

Still a very good filter. Possibly even better than before.

Fram was proven to meet their marketing claims.
These days, you can pretty much bet that all big filter makers who are claiming an ISO efficiency are telling the truth because in today's world they would get a letter from a competitor's lawyer if the claims were advertised better than actual. Big filter companies can run the ISO efficiency test on the competition's filters to ensure they are not try to gain market share by making false claims about efficiency.

The old media was depth media you cannot judge it on area alone.

Go back and read some on motorkings post - explain the discrepancy in his numbers and Frams "old ultra media" numbers.
Not only that, but the filter that was tested was significantly more efficient than the numbers provided in the "e-mail" data from FRAM on the "updated" media. And that ignores the inconsistencies like calling the OG a synthetic blend media (it was full synthetic, dual layer).

Claim, old XG was 91% at 15 microns (filter in question is 3.33"x3.00"):
new-fram-xg-jpg.77720

Yet the version tested by Andrew of the old XG was ~99.85% at 15 microns (slightly larger 4.06"x2.984"):
efficiency-compairson-graph-pic-4-jpg.59368

I received some frams from rock auto today… I’m pretty sure the date code is for 2022… There’s wire backing on it just like the OG ultras I’m super excited but also confused.

Am I reading the date code incorrectly? I tried to buy more than two… But they said they were running low on stock and would only let me purchase two of them… But today I’m back on the rock auto website (after I realized my Frams have wire backed media and got excited) and it says that I can buy more than two if I want, so not sure if I got old stock but the box looks like the new style. There’s also no sticker on the filter. The logo is painted onto the filter like the new ones…

Any thoughts?

View attachment 130920View attachment 130921
I just received two of the exact same filters today, XG 4386 with the exact same date code. The thing is one has wire backing like yours and the other one doesn't. Strange indeed

I just received two of the exact same filters today, XG 4386 with the exact same date code. The thing is one has wire backing like yours and the other one doesn't. Strange indeed

Wow, so we might literally be experiencing the changeover right in the middle of our production date code… That’s crazy.

Well i’ve been ordering from rock auto for several weeks now they’ve only been letting me order like 6 to 10 at a time…all wire backed. It looks like i might’ve finally bought up all the wire backed ones they had left.

I have a order that will be here in a couple days with six more of them. I will report back and let everyone know what they look like inside… I have a feeling they’re gonna be the new style after hearing your story.

Wow, so we might literally be experiencing the changeover right in the middle of our production date code… That’s crazy.

Well i’ve been ordering from rock auto for several weeks now they’ve only been letting me order like 6 to 10 at a time…all wire backed. It looks like i might’ve finally bought up all the wire backed ones they had left.

I have a order that will be here in a couple days with six more of them. I will report back and let everyone know what they look like inside… I have a feeling they’re gonna be the new style after hearing your story.
Yes, please let us know. I'm curious if this next batch you're going to receive will ALL be wire backed. You're a lucky guy if they are. For me it's not just the wire backing but more importantly it's the synthetic media. Trade ya! 😄

It would be interesting to find out when the name of the product changed from Ultra to Ultra Synthetic on the packaging and filter. Did
Fram change the name to go with the media change or perhaps their marketing research found that the word "synthetic" drives a lot of point of sale purchasing decisions. Food for thought.

I guess to make it more complex, I grabbed an Extra Guard PH5, Tough Guard TG5, and an Ultra XG5 to cut open and measure the square inches of the media (working on a project for my Wrangler).

The date code on the XG was A30191 which I take to mean January 19, 2023 as I am assuming that Walmart would not have a 10-year-old filter on the shelf.

It had wire backed original synthetic media.

20230227_101401.jpg
20230227_101601.jpg
20230227_101626.jpg

The latest XG11665 cartridge filters for my Jeep are not even close to the quality of the Korean (white media filters). It would tear with very little resistance (I fully understand that you would not try to tear media as a normal exercise), but I am not a fan of them at first glance.

XG11665 Media:

20230227_104216.jpg

TG5 Media:
20230227_104222.jpg

Korean? Are you talking about Fram? All my Frams are USA made

You know, the thing that has me confused is Fram said they were using synthetic media with cellulose backing so there was no need for the metal screen…. Ok I follow that part of the story.

What I don’t understand is why the old Ultra wire backed media was pink-ish and the new synthetic media (with cellulose backing) is white.

The synthetic media has obviously changed in more ways than just removing the metal screen and adding a cellulose backing layer. It’s a completely different color.

Korean? Are you talking about Fram? All my Frams are USA made

You know, the thing that has me confused is Fram said they were using synthetic media with cellulose backing so there was no need for the metal screen…. Ok I follow that part of the story.

What I don’t understand is why the old Ultra wire backed media was pink-ish and the new synthetic media (with cellulose backing) is white.

The synthetic media has obviously changed in more ways than just removing the metal screen and adding a cellulose backing layer. It’s a completely different color.
If you have any FRAM XG11665 filters made prior to this change by FRAM, then they are made in Korea. They have pure white media and is plastic mesh backed:

20230227_112258.jpg
20230227_112325.jpg

Back