Fram Ultra Alternative

Would you say that the NAPA Platinum to be equal to the Ultra ? See Platinum is synthetic media and filters 21 microns .

Would you say that the NAPA Platinum to be equal to the Ultra ? See Platinum is synthetic media and filters 21 microns .
The WIX XP is the same as the NAPA Platinum. Test graphs in link below. Boss and XP behind the rest.

Leading with that, and then writing the rest of this, doesn't support the premise of "agreeing to disagree", FWIW.

That's fine that you think that. The point is, you don't have statistically significant data compiled in a way in which to support it. You posted a single video in the thread as the basis for your statement, that's a sample size of one. You are attempting to expand on that now, which is fine, but the point is that your initial statement lacked substantiative supporting material. A single youtube video is not statistically significant.

The uneven pleating is common on all filters. It doesn't change the efficiency rating of the product as long as the media stays intact. The issue we've seen with wide pleat spacing on Purolator filters in the past have been tears at these points, which of course greatly reduces the effectiveness of the filter.

And we had a FRAM posted recently with the ADBV lost a chunk of itself and apparently went through an engine. You C&P enough filters, you'll see things like that. What has been statistically significant (because it was tracked on here) were the incidences of media tears in the Purolator filters.

Statistically significant data.

Why? FRAM is also made in the USA. There are other US-made options.

Because you aren't cutting enough of them open? Cut enough filters, you'll see defects from every manufacturer. What needs to be established is whether the rate of occurrences is higher with M+H/Purolator filters than its peers. That's not been established beyond the aforementioned media tearing, which was tracked on here for years.

Yes, it's a QC issue. My point is that they all have QC issues from time to time. The question is whether the QC issues with filters produced by M+H/Purolator outpace those of its peers. A single youtube videos and a couple of personal anecdotes are not sufficient to support that claim.

The lack of clarity was due to you not addressing the point that the Mobil 1 filters were historically made by Champ Labs, the change to M+H/Purolator is relatively recent. You stated you had witnessed "plenty" of these filters with defects, but made no attempt to clarify whether these issues were exclusive to the new style or whether you had observed the same with the old filters, before the changeover.

For the sake of maintaining civility, I'm not going to address your implication that being semi-fluent in multiple languages somehow bolsters the integrity of your statements made.

You went into the weeds after opening with "agreeing to disagree" so I'm not sure that much of this is going to be productive. You've provided more anecdotes, so yes, you've clarified what you feel is a legitimate viewpoint. However, you don't seem to be understanding why exception is being taken to that.

Pointing out the importance of statistical significance with respect to condemning an entire family of products based on a single youtube video, which is how this exchange began, isn't being stubborn. You've chosen to get offended rather than discuss, which is your prerogative, fine, but that doesn't help with whatever value it is you think you were providing with your initial post. It took quite a while to establish that tearing was in fact a worrisome trend with the Purolator filters and it was tracked with a spreadsheet to establish that it was frequent enough to warrant concern and be identified as a real issue. This information was brought to the attention of the company by members here.
just do your own research you will see.

The WIX XP is the same as the NAPA Platinum. Test graphs in link below. Boss and XP behind the rest.

I am wondering if it was the 15k OCI Boss filter or the updated to 20k OCI Boss filter in the testing. Saw Purolator's website says better than 99% at 25 microns for the 20k version. Been using ultras but the fixing something that wasn't broken update to the media has me annoyed like others.

I am wondering if it was the 15k OCI Boss filter or the updated to 20k OCI Boss filter in the testing. Saw Purolator's website says better than 99% at 25 microns for the 20k version. Been using ultras but the fixing something that wasn't broken update to the media has me annoyed like others.

I'm currently using the Purolator Boss filter with no issues. You can sit and look at numbers every day and night,not going to make any difference in long term vehicle ownership.

I'm currently using the Purolator Boss filter with no issues. You can sit and look at numbers every day and night,not going to make any difference in long term vehicle ownership.
Yeah we have a 4runner with a not so fun oil filter location that i like to go 20k on the filter. The fram ultra actually looked a bit wavy and only has/had plastic and not metal mesh backing anyway. Thinking of giving the boss a shot next time.

Bottom line is that less particles circulating around in your oil the better. Especially in the 5-20 micron range.
Some filters do substantially better than others.

Long term ownership could be 250K miles. Could be more, could be less. But at some point it does make a difference.
Will everything else fail before the engine? possibly.
But data, numbers, information should matter - an informed consumer can make better decisions. That's why we're all on this forum, no?

Bottom line is that less particles circulating around in your oil the better. Especially in the 5-20 micron range.
Some filters do substantially better than others.

Long term ownership could be 250K miles. Could be more, could be less. But at some point it does make a difference.
Will everything else fail before the engine? possibly.
But data, numbers, information should matter - an informed consumer can make better decisions. That's why we're all on this forum, no?
We all have the choice of purchasing what we want. Cars,houses,appliances,etc,etc.Make your choice and move on with life,there are more important things to worry about imo. I'm not interested in debating on who wants to buy this or that,it's your money and decision.

We all have the choice of purchasing what we want. Cars,houses,appliances,etc,etc.Make your choice and move on with life,there are more important things to worry about imo. I'm not interested in debating on who wants to buy this or that,it's your money and decision.
Yes, but this is BITOG, nothing here is life or death.

Yes, but this is BITOG, nothing here is life or death.

It was 37 pages of pure insanity over an oil filter redesign,so I'm not the one to respond to as I'm not over reacting to a filter redesign. I'm finished with this whole fram discussion.

IMG_6909.JPG

Back