Fram Ultra Alternative

I have not used any purolator filters, have they done anything about the tearing issue? If not a fram ultra, i'd run a toughguard or a Wix.
Looks like purolator has that pretty well under control based on recent c&p's. It mostly affected the Motorcraft FL-820s.

you might want to look at this video before buying a Mobil 1 oil filter

Since I'm not about to click and give that guy revenue, can you articulate what exactly it is in that video that makes the Mobil 1 filter (which is just another Champ Labs filter with blend/hybrid media in it) a poor choice?

Since I'm not about to click and give that guy revenue, can you articulate what exactly it is in that video that makes the Mobil 1 filter (which is just another Champ Labs filter with blend/hybrid media in it) a poor choice?
He said it was a M&H made filter ?
Defective build where the media was not fully inside the end cap when potted.
The first two “premium” filters had black ADV’s … he called one rubber and one silicone
Think what he was seeing is a better grade of nitrile like I see in PF63E filters …

He said it was a M&H made filter ?
Defective build where the media was not fully inside the end cap when potted.
The first two “premium” filters had black ADV’s … he called one rubber and one silicone
Think what he was seeing is a better grade of nitrile like I see in PF63E filters …
Must be a recent change, I recall hearing about them changing suppliers. Old ones (like the one I cut open recently) were Champion.

Must be a recent change, I recall hearing about them changing suppliers. Old ones (like the one I cut open recently) were Champion.
Yes, every M1 I cut was very similar to other Champ filters … only everything on steroids …
It still was the heaviest so M1 has kept that spec since they wind up on HP cars …
Sad to see a defect like that show up … but until someone buys and cuts 1000 each of all of them, who knows

Somewhere around the end of 2019 or beginning of 2020 M1 switched to being made by Mann-Hummel and it's clearly at Purolator's factories, the first time I heard about the change was about a year and a half ago when someone posted a C&P with a burrolated ADBV.

It's not that Nate guy if that's what you're thinking, lol.

Capture+_2021-09-06-20-17-37.png

It's not that Nate guy if that's what you're thinking, lol.

View attachment 70141

I find many (most?) of the oil filter C&P videos to be a huge waste of time (I hate clickbait). So often wild conclusions are drawn or entire brands are condemned from a sample size of one. "Oh mah gerd, this FRAM has a defective flapper valve thingy, NEVER BUY DA FRAERMS FILTERZZZZ!!!! OCOD!!!"

I find many (most?) of the oil filter C&P videos to be a huge waste of time (I hate clickbait). So often wild conclusions are drawn or entire brands are condemned from a sample size of one. "Oh mah gerd, this FRAM has a defective flapper valve thingy, NEVER BUY DA FRAERMS FILTERZZZZ!!!! OCOD!!!"
I just posted this to help, it is free information,and I don't base my opinion on one single finding, but I think that their quality controls are not good at all, I saw plenty of those filters with some defects. most people don't cut their filters after use so you need to trust the manufacture of those oils filters with the life of your engine, if you don't cut it after it is used, you might not notice any damage right now but it is like running your engine without a filter, and maybe later you will end up with an engine failure and you won't know why, since your doing your maintenance correctly, so this is why I think that's important.

I just posted this to help, it is free information,and I don't base my opinion on one single finding, but I think that their quality controls are not good at all, I saw plenty of those filters with some defects. most people don't cut their filters after use so you need to trust the manufacture of those oils filters with the life of your engine, if you don't cut it after it is used, you might not notice any damage right now but it is like running your engine without a filter, and maybe later you will end up with an engine failure and you won't know why, since your doing your maintenance correctly, so this is why I think that's important.

This company produces filters for a broad range of brands, including the Motorcraft-branded Ford filters. We have seen defects from every company, a quick perusal through this section will illustrate that.

Purolator filters have a higher than average history of media tears on here, based on C&P's, but not construction defects (unless you consider overly wide pleat spacing a construction defect). The Mobil filters were historically made by Champ Labs and have had a good showing. The change to M+H is relatively recent.

The video is indeed a sample size of one. It in no way indicates that the new M+H version of the Mobil 1 filter is any more prone to construction/QC issues than any of its peers. While I don't use these filters personally, an opinion was presented with this video as "evidence", which is not sufficient data to support it.

Given the recent nature of this supplier change, the vagueness of your statement:
durability said:
I saw plenty of those filters with some defects

Lacks clarity and context.

For as much as the M1 filters cost, there are better choices. One of which, the Purolator Boss, is even made by the same company. Hopefully M&H doesn't find a way to screw them up!
Purolator Boss is unimpressive in the filtration efficiency department.
99%@25micron is the claim on the website (based on 1 filter tested).
Ascent testing showed it to be much worse, 99%@~35micron.

I'm going to do an oil change here soon on my wife's 2017 CR-V 1.5L Turbo. I've used Fram Ultra's for a majority of the changes but looking to try something else for a change and fun. Something that might get similar respect on the forum. I was thinking maybe the PurolatorBOSS or the Fram Titanium, but open to suggestions.

Thanks.
Unless the filter fails and blocks oil flow you will never during the owner ship of your car see a difference. Yeah I know some one read this or that paper that bla , bla bla.

This company produces filters for a broad range of brands, including the Motorcraft-branded Ford filters. We have seen defects from every company, a quick perusal through this section will illustrate that.

Purolator filters have a higher than average history of media tears on here, based on C&P's, but not construction defects (unless you consider overly wide pleat spacing a construction defect). The Mobil filters were historically made by Champ Labs and have had a good showing. The change to M+H is relatively recent.

The video is indeed a sample size of one. It in no way indicates that the new M+H version of the Mobil 1 filter is any more prone to construction/QC issues than any of its peers. While I don't use these filters personally, an opinion was presented with this video as "evidence", which is not sufficient data to support it.

Given the recent nature of this supplier change, the vagueness of your statement:

Lacks clarity and context.
sorry we will agree to disagree, I still think that M&H quality is substandard, you can have all the best components and still produce a substandard product, those are my observation, uneven pleating (oil take the path of least of resistance), I saw a tear in the media of a brand new Bosch made by M&H, crooked end cap, enough to make anti-drain-back valve not work properly and maybe cause some unfiltered oil to go through, collapsed leaf's sping, exessive glue on both end cap and now this one. well if this is not enough I don't know what you need and believe me, I hate to say those things about a product that is made in the USA, so since you are apparently a wealth of knowledge, judging by your lawyer like answer that you served me .when I cute one of those cheap oil filter made in China or in Vietnam, I don't find those kinds of garbages inside? if this is not quality control I wonder what it is, and as far as the lack of clarity in my answer it is probably because English is not my first language but again I speak and write in four different languages, can you beat that! was this too vague for you? it is still not clear enough? apparently, you are too stubborn to see the truth, and couldn't care less about what you think, I gave you a piece of free information and you refuse to use it, so be it.

Last edited:
sorry we will agree to disagree,
Leading with that, and then writing the rest of this, doesn't support the premise of "agreeing to disagree", FWIW.
I still think that M&H quality is substandard,
That's fine that you think that. The point is, you don't have statistically significant data compiled in a way in which to support it. You posted a single video in the thread as the basis for your statement, that's a sample size of one. You are attempting to expand on that now, which is fine, but the point is that your initial statement lacked substantiative supporting material. A single youtube video is not statistically significant.
you can have all the best components and still produce a substandard product, those are my observation, uneven pleating (oil take the path of least of resistance),
The uneven pleating is common on all filters. It doesn't change the efficiency rating of the product as long as the media stays intact. The issue we've seen with wide pleat spacing on Purolator filters in the past have been tears at these points, which of course greatly reduces the effectiveness of the filter.
I saw a tear in the media of a brand new Bosch made by M&H, crooked end cap, enough to make anti-drain-back valve not work properly and maybe cause some unfiltered oil to go through, collapsed leaf's sping, exessive glue on both end cap and now this one.
And we had a FRAM posted recently with the ADBV lost a chunk of itself and apparently went through an engine. You C&P enough filters, you'll see things like that. What has been statistically significant (because it was tracked on here) were the incidences of media tears in the Purolator filters.
well if this is not enough I don't know what you need
Statistically significant data.
and believe me, I hate to say those things about a product that is made in the USA,
Why? FRAM is also made in the USA. There are other US-made options.
so since you are apparently a wealth of knowledge, judging by your lawyer like answer that you served me .when I cute one of those cheap oil filter made in China or in Vietnam, I don't find those kinds of garbages inside?
Because you aren't cutting enough of them open? Cut enough filters, you'll see defects from every manufacturer. What needs to be established is whether the rate of occurrences is higher with M+H/Purolator filters than its peers. That's not been established beyond the aforementioned media tearing, which was tracked on here for years.
if this is not quality control I wonder what it is,
Yes, it's a QC issue. My point is that they all have QC issues from time to time. The question is whether the QC issues with filters produced by M+H/Purolator outpace those of its peers. A single youtube videos and a couple of personal anecdotes are not sufficient to support that claim.
and as far as the lack of clarity in my answer it is probably because English is not my first language but again I speak and write in four different languages, can you beat that!
The lack of clarity was due to you not addressing the point that the Mobil 1 filters were historically made by Champ Labs, the change to M+H/Purolator is relatively recent. You stated you had witnessed "plenty" of these filters with defects, but made no attempt to clarify whether these issues were exclusive to the new style or whether you had observed the same with the old filters, before the changeover.

For the sake of maintaining civility, I'm not going to address your implication that being semi-fluent in multiple languages somehow bolsters the integrity of your statements made.
was this too vague for you or still not clear enough?
You went into the weeds after opening with "agreeing to disagree" so I'm not sure that much of this is going to be productive. You've provided more anecdotes, so yes, you've clarified what you feel is a legitimate viewpoint. However, you don't seem to be understanding why exception is being taken to that.
apparently, you are too stubborn to see the truth, and couldn't care less about what you think, I gave you a piece of free information and you refuse to use so be it.
Pointing out the importance of statistical significance with respect to condemning an entire family of products based on a single youtube video, which is how this exchange began, isn't being stubborn. You've chosen to get offended rather than discuss, which is your prerogative, fine, but that doesn't help with whatever value it is you think you were providing with your initial post. It took quite a while to establish that tearing was in fact a worrisome trend with the Purolator filters and it was tracked with a spreadsheet to establish that it was frequent enough to warrant concern and be identified as a real issue. This information was brought to the attention of the company by members here.

BTW, @durability despite how you may perceive the nature of our exchange, I encourage you to create threads to share your cut and post pictures on here. If you feel that there is merit to your claim, sharing here what you see is a great way to have other eyes on it that may affirm or disagree with your observations.

Back