Fram Ultra 3614 8053 miles C&P

This is the first filter I've cut open from my Highlander. Got it used at 120K, it came with the proverbial stack of repair receipts an inch and a half thick, oil changes every 5K, primarily Toyota conventional, ACDelco Dexos, and then TGMO synthetic. I wasn't thinking that this engine had a lot of deposits, but before I go for 10K FCIs I just wanted to be sure. This filter was put on with PUP 5w20 from 128,622 to 136,675, from Sep 2020 through Feb 2021. It was replaced with Kirkland 0w20 and a Wix filter. Just as with the EG that I cut open earlier this morning, I was surprised at how supple, and light, the silicone ADBV was. The only other filter I've cut open was an ACDelco for the Camry in my sig, and the ADBV was nitrile, and nowhere near as supple. Marks on filter media in last pic were caused by me. I was thinking of cutting the media off from the wire backing, but it didn't budge so I decided to leave it alone.

1.jpg

2.jpg
2A.jpg
3.jpg
4 20210828_123933.jpg
4 20210828_123937.jpg
4 20210828_123943.jpg
4 20210828_123949.jpg
4 20210828_123954.jpg

Last edited:
Based on this and the EG I cut open from the Sienna, I think the Sienna & Highlander are both ready for 10K FCIs, when my supply of cheaper filters is used up. I will do the same after the camry's next oil change and see what that filter tells me.

Keep in mind that a few flecks might be from the fact that I cut it open with a hacksaw. At this point I just don't see myself doing this often enough to justify buying a dedicated cutter.

How can the media "not budge" from the backing? It can't be glued on there to the point were nothing can get through the core, can it?
I always used a razor knife to cut the media at the top and bottom, peel it off, and look into the pleats for hidden crap.

A hacksaw isn't the best way to open a filter. I agree that it may cause some flecks of metal to appear on the media.
When I get some time, I'll post a picture of a very nice tool to cut a filter with. No shavings at all, just needs a 1/4" hole to start it.
Until then, I will leave you with this:
JILSON J1451 SS France
(include extra jaws if available)

Keep in mind that a few flecks might be from the fact that I cut it open with a hacksaw. At this point I just don't see myself doing this often enough to justify buying a dedicated cutter.
Very nice photos. What went back in and on? Thank You kindly 🇺🇸👍🍺

Kirkland 0w20 and a Wix filter.

Thanks. They were taken with my old Samsung, I was surprised they came out as good as they did. Forum shrank them from their original size, which isn't a problem here.

Very nice photos. What went back in and on? Thank You kindly 🇺🇸👍🍺

Date code, if my framspeak is good enough, would be, made in 166th day which would be June 15, 2019. 2nd shift.

Back