Fram EG 3614 4500 mi C&P

This came off my Sienna earlier this month, in use from October 2020 through August 2021, for 4530 miles, with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30.

This is the first filter I've cut from my minivan. I was interested primarily in verifying that there wasn't much gunk in the oil that was caught, so when I change the oil & filter next time at 180K, I can use a filter for 10K intervals. I was a bit concerned, because for the first 120K miles, this vehicle had conventional oil changes for an average of 8K OCI. Since then, I've put it on a diet of mainly synthetic, and often high mileage, but I was wondering how much gunk might still be circulating and caught by the filter.

The only other filter I cup open had a nitrile ADBV. I was surprised at how much more flexible this was, and how light it seemed. I saw no tears at all, nor even the waves that you occasionally see in Fram EGs & TGs. The pleat that is slightly off was caused by me when I had to press with my box cutter to get the blade in to separate the media.

I know EGs can go more than 4500, but this looks about as good as I expected one to look. I do see bits of gunk there, but nothing that would make me thing that a Wix or Fram TG couldn't handle a 10K run.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

520210828_102656.jpg

If you're referring to the pleat in the 5th & 6th pics, that was caused by me pushing hard right there.

And I remember Motorking here retorting one time, something to the effect of, do you want a filter that is efficient, or one that looks good?

Ugly as always, but effective! Thanks for the C&P

Not that I'm a fram fanboy, I'll probably be using Wix for my planned 10K runs. But I was surprised at how hard it was to tear the fiber endcaps away from the filter media itself. Those surfaces had bonded, to be sure. Those endcaps sure seemed to me like they were capable of doing the job.

Glimps of the date code "0060" in first photo says made on the 60th day of 2020. On thing for sure, even if the pleats bend all over the place they never seem to tear.

I meant to include a pic that had it clearly--I knew folks would be interested. A00601.

Back to work for a bit, then my next break is cutting open the one I really wanted to get to this morning--a FU that was on my Highlander.

But how do you (or does anyone) get 2020 out of those numbers?

Post by Motorking (Jay) explaining the Fram date code:

" On the side it will be printed horizontally starting with a Alfa then 5 digits - sample would be A32471: A=Plant, 3=year, 247=Julian date, 1=shift ... so this one would be Greenville Oh, 2003 or 2013, Aug 29th "

Last edited:
As long as it doesn't tear open its perfectly fine. And why the 0w-20 for this round. CA winters aint that bad.

OT- but it applies here. I have a feeling the "new" Ultra might twist a bit less, and not tear.............. Time will tell.
27.gif

Back