Fram Strikes Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not make heads or tails of that thread. Did he have a chunk of his block blow out or something? Did not really convince me the FRAM was at fault.

Hootbro

quote:

I could not make heads or tails of that thread. Did he have a chunk of his block blow out or something? Did not really convince me the FRAM was at fault.

Here is end of story :)See below

-

I am suprised the gasket blew out. Unless the Fram has a shallow channel for the gasket, this would not make sense. Or maybe the gasket was too large and bowed out like that upon installation.

one prob I have is. he said he just changed the oil in that engine and its already that black? to me he isnt telling the whole story. even when I run reg dino in my truck engine it would stay clear for almost 2000 miles before turning dark. you think maybe he never changed the oil and the filter clogged up and blew past the o ring?

the oil on my wrx turns black right right away. does not matter what filter i use. but again, oil color is always up for debate as some people say it shows the oil is working.

Joe

scoobdude I am asking because I have owned a 89 mustang 2.3, 94 merch cougar 4.6, 95 ranger 2.3, 03 dakota 4.7 and never had the oil turn black. my parents 87 civic and 88 b2000 never had the oil change that quick.

I never had a turbo vehicle so I cant say on your vehicle. wish I could have a wrx
worshippy.gif
bet its a fun lil car.

quote:

one prob I have is. he said he just changed the oil in that engine and its already that black?

He stated that when his wife came home with no oil, he refilled it with used oil looking for the leak.

I guess he didn't want to waste 8 quarts of new oil.

Maybe it's just anal me - I could never dump used oil back in my engine.

Then again, he was using a Fram
smile.gif

That one kinda took me too, even if my new oil leaked all out, I would still go down and buy the cheapo 99cent oil before I poured the OLD crapola back in...Sounds fishy to me...

quote:

The oil filter was very difficult to remove, once out it was obvious that the rubber seal had detached from the filter metal lip. The filter has a very thin rubber seal to begin with.

The guy with the problem doesn't mention that the seal was cut or defective in any other way...just that it "had detached from the filter metal lip." On many filters, the seals are only crimped on anyway. You can take the seal off the filter, put it back on, it still works fine.The pressure between the engine block and filter keeps the seal where it belongs.

Possibly, the seal was partially removed when he spun the filter back off. Or there was something on the engine block when he spun the filter on.

Without more info about the condition of the seal, it's hard to make a judgement.....

Definitely operator error.
And, I know that noone wants to admit they made a mistake.
Read the link above, the filter was retightened? why? was it lubed prior to use? prefilled?

As already noticed, that oil sure looks like krap. How long was it in service?

Gotta run. CD player just died after an oil change. Had to be that orange can!

My company mechanic had a brand new WIX filter seal fall out in his hands. It was brittle and cracked and came out in two pieces. He originally installed the filter and found it leaking very badly. This was a brand new WIX 51515 that was the new black housing design. I had just ordered the filter from Filter1.com (not there fault of course).

Long story short, this could happen to any filter manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back