Fram PH9688 with 7,387 miles cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a Fram PH9688 with 7,387 miles using NAPA Synthetic 5w-30 from a 2014 Kia Soul 1.6L GDI engine. The had 82,450 miles on it when this filter was installed. It was replaced with an OE filter which will be changed again this weekend.

Fram_PH9688_7500mi_soul_components.jpg

Fram_PH9688_7500mi_soul_components_top.jpg

Fram_PH9688_7500mi_soul_filtermediaelement.jpg

There are better for less but fram eg is so widley available. I think fram has the corner on the market. I generally do pass though. Might try an ultra some day or maybe not.

If you wanna try ultra - buy some FPS' for only $6 on eBay like I did
smile.gif
same inside

Last edited:
Good looking filter. Can't get much better than this.

Used to be a fan of these, but got tired of the price. The PH3593a is built identically, but is priced under $4. If I'm not mistaken, even the silver can and ultra are more than other more popular sizes.

*The new NAPA Silver design looks identical to the OE filter. Probably around $3 or so too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad

Used to be a fan of these, but got tired of the price. The PH3593a is built identically, but is priced under $4. If I'm not mistaken, even the silver can and ultra are more than other more popular sizes.

*The new NAPA Silver design looks identical to the OE filter. Probably around $3 or so too.

I agree on the price point with this filter in relation to the other Fram orange cans. I believe Jay, the Fram rep on this forum, said that some changes were made to improve the burst strength of the can for Hyundai/Kia applications due to some issues having problems with oil pressure spikes. I wouldn't personally use an unlisted part number due to warranty concerns.

I had a Wix 51334 on the way from Rock Auto to help justify shipping another part when the info about the Napa ProSelect change was posted. They also changed the design of the Wix which I assume means the Napa Gold will change as well. I have a few OE filters on the shelf for these cars at the moment... but will probably switch to the ProSelect after the OE filters are used up since they're around $3 at our local store and seem so similar to OE now. The old ProSelect design was fine as well.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
There are better for less but fram eg is so widley available. I think fram has the corner on the market. I generally do pass though. Might try an ultra some day or maybe not.

Better for less?...... which one, other than saving a couple bucks using NAPA ProSelect?

Then, I need to see a ProSelect run for 7+K.

BTW.... the Fram EG 9688 is more money than most-all other Extra Guards. My Walmart charges an additional $2 for the 9688. They want over $8 for the Tough Guard 9688. The Ultra price was only a dollar more..... strange!

Originally Posted by jim302

I agree on the price point with this filter in relation to the other Fram orange cans. I believe Jay, the Fram rep on this forum, said that some changes were made to improve the burst strength of the can for Hyundai/Kia applications due to some issues having problems with oil pressure spikes. I wouldn't personally use an unlisted part number due to warranty concerns.

I had a Wix 51334 on the way from Rock Auto to help justify shipping another part when the info about the Napa ProSelect change was posted. They also changed the design of the Wix which I assume means the Napa Gold will change as well. I have a few OE filters on the shelf for these cars at the moment... but will probably switch to the ProSelect after the OE filters are used up since they're around $3 at our local store and seem so similar to OE now. The old ProSelect design was fine as well.

Very interesting about the filter strength. Didn't know that.

I just use them for Kubota garden tractors. Running some WIX, Frams and an old Champ made Carquest red.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
smile.gif
same inside

What's fps

Originally Posted by Pinoak
Originally Posted by SlavaB
smile.gif
same inside

What's fps

Fram Pro synthetic. Basically a Fram ultra without the grippy material on dome end of can

Originally Posted by demarpaint
No problems there.

Yeah sir.... Fram orange cans have been stout for a good while... Which will hopefully at some point put to rest the whole "card board doesn't hold up" nonsense..

Originally Posted by jim302
... It was replaced with an OE filter which will be changed again this weekend.

Why changing it again so soon?
Or was this pulled off a while ago?

...Used to be a fan of these, but got tired of the price. The PH3593a is built identically, but is priced under $4. If I'm not mistaken, even the silver can and ultra are more than other more popular sizes. ...

I do find it odd that these Fram xx9688 filters are all more expensive than an almost identical 3593A.
I know there has to be something different, but I have no idea and would have no issues using a 3593A in it's place.
I need to take a look at the new ST9688 by Champ and see if they have a metal or plastic center tube and dome end bypass, if they are metal/dome end I will probably just use those in the future.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Yeah sir.... Fram orange cans have been stout for a good while... Which will hopefully at some point put to rest the whole "card board doesn't hold up" nonsense..

Nope, ignorant people will be ignorant regardless of facts placed in front of them.

It was back in the early 2000s that the old OC fram had issues. I found them to only last about 2200 miles on the Saturn i drove. Still find it hard to purchase them.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Why changing it again so soon?
Or was this pulled off a while ago?

It was pulled off a few months ago. This and other filters have been sitting around waiting for me to buy a filter cutter. I also put a lot of miles on it traveling for Christmas.

Originally Posted by bbhero

Nope, ignorant people will be ignorant regardless of facts placed in front of them.

Yes, unfortunately this is true. If you point out the facts, they'll accuse you of working for Fram. It really defies logic once you take the time to understand how oil filters work. To the Fram haters, fiber based media = ok, fiber based encaps = bad. No end caps (such as Toyota OE) = good. Metal end caps = always good, even if it is a brand that has quality control issues leading to torn filter media. In reality there are many ways to build a good filter and you can't judge efficiency by appearance unless there's an obvious defect such as torn media or a stuck open bypass valve.

Fram's fiber endcaps may not look impressive on a newly cut open filter (especially an unused filter), but they function just fine and the efficiency ratings are very good even for their lowest end filter.

Actually.... I agree with you to a point..

But... I have seen people on here change their minds about Fram orange cans....

It is evidenced by what was said on this board back before the 2014 time frame. Many on here we're very negative about Fram orange cans... But has went forward with better cut and posts on here... The people on here generally changed their minds. No not all. However a plurality of people did in fact do that. At that time and before 2014 Purolator was regarded much higher. I know this by reading those threads from back then..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back