Fram Tough Guard vs, Ultra Guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fram pro is identical to the tough guard except it doesn't have the silicone ADBV. I was under the impression it did until i noticed photos showing a black colored ADBV. A call to Fram confirmed my suspicions.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

No you have it wrong. The orange pro series is an e core champ labs, the white pro is exact like a tough guard and should use a metal center tube and the gold pro is exactly the same as the Fram Ultra without the sure grip.

OK, so which one is it that the OP linked to?
The link is to a Fram Pro and is a white can, yet the cutout pic shows an e-core center tube.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

No you have it wrong. The orange pro series is an e core champ labs, the white pro is exact like a tough guard and should use a metal center tube and the gold pro is exactly the same as the Fram Ultra without the sure grip.

OK, so which one is it that the OP linked to?
The link is to a Fram Pro and is a white can, yet the cutout pic shows an e-core center tube.

The white can Pro series IS a tough guard in a new paint job with no sure grip.

So is the pic on e-bay wrong? It clearly shows a white can with a e-core center.
s-l300.jpg

I found real FU well under $6 ... wanted to be sure - and actually like the grip material ...

I think it'll be the Ultras for me. At 5.12 it's $4 a year to upgrade from the Toughguard Pro, to the top line Ultra. Might as well do it even though I'll be throwing them out at 5,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

So is the pic on e-bay wrong? It clearly shows a white can with a e-core center.
s-l300.jpg

Hmm that's confusing! Maybe they changed the lineup over time?

Let me clear this up. The FRAM Pro line has been consolidated to two filters. The white can is currently an Ecore but is quickly being transitioned to a FRAM EG internally. The Gold can is a Ultra. Previously, the white can was ecore, the orange can was a TG and gold was (and still is) Ultra. FRAM is moving all FRAM branded products away from Ecore to to the severance of Champion Labs from FRAM. Now that said, the whining by Hyundai about issues is [censored]. They have had oiling issues and they are very aware of it. Hyundai dealers regularly break Magnussun Moss warranty act by intimidating car owners into thinking they cannot use aftermarket filters. FRAM has no issues being used on Hyundai cars at all.

Ooops, one more thing, We consider 7 yrs of DRY storage to be the limit for keeping and using oil filters. DRY being the key word.

What tests does Fram do to assure the ADBV is sealing well? The only thing I don't like too much about Fram oil filters is the ADBV. If it works as well as others, like a Toyota filter, fine, but pictures, and my own cutting open, show the inlet holes sometimes reaching into the sealing areas of the valve. Plus the metal is very rough where the seal presses.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Ooops, one more thing, We consider 7 yrs of DRY storage to be the limit for keeping and using oil filters. DRY being the key word.

So is generally high humidity the downfall of filter storage, or condensation do them in? Does this mean that variation in temp doesn't mean much for oil filter storage? (asking for a friend, who may or may not have a lifetime supply of oil filters for his equipment in his barn)

Let me clear this up. The FRAM Pro line has been consolidated to two filters. The white can is currently an Ecore but is quickly being transitioned to a FRAM EG internally. The Gold can is a Ultra. Previously, the white can was ecore, the orange can was a TG and gold was (and still is) Ultra. FRAM is moving all FRAM branded products away from Ecore to to the severance of Champion Labs from FRAM. Now that said, the whining by Hyundai about issues is [censored]. They have had oiling issues and they are very aware of it. Hyundai dealers regularly break Magnussun Moss warranty act by intimidating car owners into thinking they cannot use aftermarket filters. FRAM has no issues being used on Hyundai cars at all.

So white can pros will have the 95% EG media in them? How about the ADBV, rubber or silicone?

adbv's are tested daily to ISO and SAE specifications. There is a test stand that measures leakage over time and we always exceed both specifications.

White can PRO filters are Ecore version 94%@20 microns and the FRAM version is 95.7%@20. Both have nitrile rubber adbv. And yes, humidity is the enemy when storing filters. Saran wrap over the business end helps. Ultra and other full synthetic media filters are more resistant to long term storage issues.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
What tests does Fram do to assure the ADBV is sealing well? The only thing I don't like too much about Fram oil filters is the ADBV. If it works as well as others, like a Toyota filter, fine, but pictures, and my own cutting open, show the inlet holes sometimes reaching into the sealing areas of the valve. Plus the metal is very rough where the seal presses.

All of the entry level filters use nitrile rubber adbv, it's just part of the cost equation, if you want a good seal get a premium filter with a silicone anti drain back valve.

The tough guards in particular seal extremely well due to the silicone meeting the fiber end disc creating a nice indentation.

I'm not worried very much about adbv I like high holding capacity so I use the Ultra.

Thank you for clearing this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back