Fram PH9688 with 7,387 miles cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SlavaB
same as ultra but intended for a shop's use
I've made a post on it some time ago
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...1845/fram-fps9688-from-ebay-ultra-xg9688

I like the grippy stuff actually. It's really the 1 thing I really find useful about them. The old pure ones were great because of the textured paint for the same reason. But anyway, yeah I'd go for those fps ones for a few dollars less too since they are other wise alike, as you've pointed out

Originally Posted by jim302

Yes, unfortunately this is true. If you point out the facts, they'll accuse you of working for Fram. It really defies logic once you take the time to understand how oil filters work. To the Fram haters, fiber based media = ok, fiber based encaps = bad. No end caps (such as Toyota OE) = good. Metal end caps = always good, even if it is a brand that has quality control issues leading to torn filter media. In reality there are many ways to build a good filter and you can't judge efficiency by appearance unless there's an obvious defect such as torn media or a stuck open bypass valve.

Fram's fiber endcaps may not look impressive on a newly cut open filter (especially an unused filter), but they function just fine and the efficiency ratings are very good even for their lowest end filter.

Facts, we don't need facts to make our opinion. I agree with all your points.
I just shake my head on one of the Scion forums I am on, all the Fram bashing for fiber endcaps, but nothing but crickets when I ask about having no endcaps, only glue, on the Toyota filters.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Actually.... I agree with you to a point..

But... I have seen people on here change their minds about Fram orange cans....

It is evidenced by what was said on this board back before the 2014 time frame. Many on here we're very negative about Fram orange cans... But has went forward with better cut and posts on here... The people on here generally changed their minds. No not all. However a plurality of people did in fact do that. At that time and before 2014 Purolator was regarded much higher. I know this by reading those threads from back then..

Yes, there has been a shift.
The Ultra really made people start to look at Fram again.
It has moved down the line from the Ultra, then the Toughguard and now the the Orange Can of Delight (OCOD) (we will ignore the HM filter they offered
crazy.gif
).
Fram had some quality issues in the late 90's, and with the advent of the internet the "stories" of a friends brothers cousins buddy heard of a car at the track that blew a OCOD and blew the engine, that carried over to a bad rep for long time (and still does for the ignorant), a lot of hate here in the past for them.

I never actually had an issue with Fram quality, my issue had been with Fram value.
Back when I signed in here, the OCOD was ~$3.50, while other similar entry level filters were ~$2-$2.50 (the old red textured cans from Advance Auto made by Purolator were a really good value filter), and a much better Wix was only ~$4.50. The old Wix made CarQuest filters were also priced similar to the OCOD at the time.
We look at today, and the OCOD now has better media and a silicone ADV compared to other entry level filters, but has only gone up ~$0.50 in price. Purolator has their issues with tearing and slices in ADV, so they have gone down greatly IMO.

Originally Posted by blupupher
jim302 said:
...we will ignore the HM filter they offered
crazy.gif

Fram has discontinued the HM filter line ... probably not a a good seller.

Even in the anti-Fram days of this site's history, people were a little more open minded than we see on other forums and especially on YouTube. On other sites, people still commonly claim Fram filters are the worst and some even try to claim they destroy engines. Of course no proof is ever offered. Here the claim was that other filters were built better for the same price. I'll admit I had that opinion too for a short time, though it didn't really influence my purchase decisions. Then we started seeing pictures of quality problems with another popular brand and opinions on build quality started to shift.

The ultra helped with build quality opinions too. It is hard to make any arguments against the quality of this very impressive filter.

Pleat spacing looks like it could be a bit better but overall that looks like a fine filter. Thanks for the photos.

Originally Posted by jim302
Originally Posted by blupupher

Why changing it again so soon?
Or was this pulled off a while ago?

It was pulled off a few months ago. This and other filters have been sitting around waiting for me to buy a filter cutter. I also put a lot of miles on it traveling for Christmas.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Yeah sir.... Fram orange cans have been stout for a good while... Which will hopefully at some point put to rest the whole "card board doesn't hold up" nonsense..

Nope, ignorant people will be ignorant regardless of facts placed in front of them.

Yes, unfortunately this is true. If you point out the facts, they'll accuse you of working for Fram. It really defies logic once you take the time to understand how oil filters work. To the Fram haters, fiber based media = ok, fiber based encaps = bad. No end caps (such as Toyota OE) = good. Metal end caps = always good, even if it is a brand that has quality control issues leading to torn filter media. In reality there are many ways to build a good filter and you can't judge efficiency by appearance unless there's an obvious defect such as torn media or a stuck open bypass valve.

Fram's fiber endcaps may not look impressive on a newly cut open filter (especially an unused filter), but they function just fine and the efficiency ratings are very good even for their lowest end filter.

Excellent post in an equally excellent thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back