Fram PH3980 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Padawan

For a long time, this was the de rigueur response anytime someone mentioned the Extra Guard, and the most frequently cited "much better filter" was the Purolator Classic, until many people began to realize that perhaps they were not a better option after all.

I can buy an American-made, 95% efficiency, 5,000 mile PH3980 for $3.77 any day of the year.

If I wait for a sale, find one at a thrift store, buy 6 dozen at a time, or use frequent flyer miles, I can probably get other US-built filters for a similar cost. However, if I had to purchase that filter today for an oil change this weekend, something like the Napa Gold for the equivalent application would cost me nearly twice as much as the Extra Guard ($6.30).

I spend a great deal of time on BITOG, and aside from the aforementioned Purolator, I've yet to see someone offer up an example of a truly "better" filter than the Extra Guard that's available for a wide range of applications, is made in the USA, and costs the same or less at normal retail (not sale, jobber, or bulk) pricing.

Fair enough, but at the same place you can buy a Fram for $3.77 you can also buy a Motorcraft for the same price. Granted, they don't cover every application under the sun, but it is, IMO, a much better filter ... and being that my fleet is almost all Ford ... that's what I would use.

but, That being said ... this is BITOG, and there is no excuse for not planning ahead and getting an excellent filter for nearly half price.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The most expensive component on it is the black tar on the end.

36.gif

Pictures can be deceiving, and this is the case with the end cap close up picture. A steno notebook cardboard backing is just as thick or more.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: meborder

For a long time, this was the de rigueur response anytime someone mentioned the Extra Guard, and the most frequently cited "much better filter" was the Purolator Classic, until many people began to realize that perhaps they were not a better option after all.

I can buy an American-made, 95% efficiency, 5,000 mile PH3980 for $3.77 any day of the year.

If I wait for a sale, find one at a thrift store, buy 6 dozen at a time, or use frequent flyer miles, I can probably get other US-built filters for a similar cost. However, if I had to purchase that filter today for an oil change this weekend, something like the Napa Gold for the equivalent application would cost me nearly twice as much as the Extra Guard ($6.30).

I spend a great deal of time on BITOG, and aside from the aforementioned Purolator, I've yet to see someone offer up an example of a truly "better" filter than the Extra Guard that's available for a wide range of applications, is made in the USA, and costs the same or less at normal retail (not sale, jobber, or bulk) pricing.

Fair enough, but at the same place you can buy a Fram for $3.77 you can also buy a Motorcraft for the same price. Granted, they don't cover every application under the sun, but it is, IMO, a much better filter ... and being that my fleet is almost all Ford ... that's what I would use.

but, That being said ... this is BITOG, and there is no excuse for not planning ahead and getting an excellent filter for nearly half price.

But a motorcraft is basically a puro classic that has its fair share of tears.

I just spent $10 on some pizza, which I shouldn't be eating I know. I thought to myself, this represents the cost, or more than the cost, of a premium Fram Ultra oil filter I can use for a whole year. I guess maybe if someone is changing filters once a month it would add up to use an economy filter. I wouldn't use the extended guard if $1, not enough savings over a year to consider it. I guess they have to make them to compete with others because a lot of shops and people use only the cheapest thing available. As usual I probably didn't get any kind of point across well.

If they were in the $2.00 range, I'd consider using them.
but at the $4.00 range, you can buy a much better filter. E.G. Napa gold on their semi-annual filter sale.

How about a Napa Silver or even a Pro select. I ran a Pro Select on my grandmothers kia for a 6 month run. Think I paid $2.88 for it. I cut it open and it looked great after 6 months.
Can't speak to the filtering efficiency, but a reasonably well put togeather filter.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I just spent $10 on some pizza, which I shouldn't be eating I know. I thought to myself, this represents the cost, or more than the cost, of a premium Fram Ultra oil filter I can use for a whole year. I guess maybe if someone is changing filters once a month it would add up to use an economy filter. I wouldn't use the extended guard if $1, not enough savings over a year to consider it. I guess they have to make them to compete with others because a lot of shops and people use only the cheapest thing available. As usual I probably didn't get any kind of point across well.

Your point came across just fine.

I can walk into Walmart right now, and buy a 5 quart jug of SuperTech 5w-30 and a Fram Extra Guard for $13.34 before tax, and a Fram Ultra costs $8.97 before tax. The Extra Guard and SuperTech oil is an attractive price for a complete do it yourself oil change for a lot of people that are on tight budgets. From what I have seen posted on this forum, the Extra Guards don't look like much, but they are getting the job done, and lots of people like the grip on the can for ease of installation and removal. Personally, I would use one, but I am not going to go out of my way to buy them when I can buy a Hastings or ACDelco Classic for a handful of pennies more.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Not bad for a budget filter.
21.gif

I agree.

BUT .....

they cost more than a budget filter.

but at the $4.00 range, you can buy a much better filter. E.G. Napa gold on their semi-annual filter sale.

28.gif

I always find it funny how people are so critical of, say, Castrol because they think the cost of marketing drives up the cost of an otherwise average oil ... but many fail to see the same quality in the Fram ExtraGuard filter. There is nothing in that filter that should cause it to cost what it does....

simply a basic filter sold at a premium price.
nothing more, nothing less.

Premium price? It is $3.77 at your local Walmart. We are literally splitting gnat hairs now.

The next lowest filter I can think of would be the Pro-Select, which is about $3 IIRC.

For me, I buy my oil at WM and might as well buy the filter while I am there too. Napa is literally on the other side of town and their "deals" are few and far between IMO. Right now, they have VWB and a Silver for $20.99. (My local store doesn't carry Silvers and has to order them...) PYB and a Fram EG has me right under $19. Sadly the Jeep takes 6 quarts though.

I plan to hit Napa for their Farm Filter Sale next month (Napa Gold air and oil filters), but that is about it. The big Kubota is in need of a new air filter too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: dishdude
When I was 16, I went into an auto parts store and they had a display with a Fram, Purolator and WIX cut apart. To this day I have never bought a Fram.

Keep up the good work
cheers3.gif

Smart man

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
Yep you can always count on those orange turds for a good laugh

Can you enlighten us on what you find dissatisfying about this particular filter?

I doubt you'll reply though. (I added this to hopefully receive a reply from you this time.)

Everything from its ugly orange paint to its sparse filter media to its paper endcaps and plastic bypass valve.

Can you enlighten us on what you find dissatisfying about this particular filter?

I doubt you'll reply though. (I added this to hopefully receive a reply from you this time.)

Don't engage him.

Everything from its ugly orange paint to its sparse filter media to its paper endcaps and plastic bypass valve.

Web-ineering at its finest.

Originally Posted By: cronk

How about a Napa Silver or even a Pro select. I ran a Pro Select on my grandmothers kia for a 6 month run. Think I paid $2.88 for it. I cut it open and it looked great after 6 months.
Can't speak to the filtering efficiency, but a reasonably well put togeather filter.

I just wanted to add some recent findings to this post.

I recently cut open 3 ProSelect filters all of the same part number off Nissan (4cyl.) engines that I maintain. Two of the filters that ran for 5k kms. on 5w-30 looked very good. The last one not so much; but I was experimenting. After 10k kms. there were two tears in the media much like the Classics; located a the bottom near the end cap. The tears were located on each side of the media seam; one per side. In addition, one of the torn pleats had a hole in the center of the folded area. The result may have been accelerated or caused by the use of 15w-40 instead of 5w-30 during the summer months for half the OFI. The filters were in decent shape otherwise.

I have learned so much as a result of this site that I wanted to contribute my findings. I have used a lot of ProSelects and will continue to at shorter intervals.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

Don't engage him.

please-dont-feed-the-trolls.jpg

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
I recently cut open 3 ProSelect filters all of the same part number off Nissan (4cyl.) engines that I maintain. Two of the filters that ran for 5k kms. on 5w-30 looked very good. The last one not so much; but I was experimenting. After 10k kms. there were two tears in the media much like the Classics; located a the bottom near the end cap. The tears were located on each side of the media seam; one per side. In addition, one of the torn pleats had a hole in the center of the folded area. The result may have been accelerated or caused by the use of 15w-40 instead of 5w-30 during the summer months for half the OFI. The filters were in decent shape otherwise.

Any filter could potentially tear the media if the pleats are spaced too far apart and the media is too weak to take the stress that the flowing oil causes. Filters that are well designed should be able to take way more stress due to delta-p than what is present when the bypass valve opens up.

[/quote]

I just wanted to add some recent findings to this post.

I have learned so much as a result of this site that I wanted to contribute my findings. I have used a lot of ProSelects and will continue to at shorter intervals.
[/quote]

Interesting. I generally run the mid tier or up filters like a Wix or Amsoil filter. I bought a couple for a Kia I purchased for my Grandmother. The car had been somewhat neglected and the engine had some deposits, so I bought 2 Napa Proselects and a case of Napa conventional when it was on sale for $1.99 qt.

The 1st run was only around 1500 miles and I cut open the filter and all looked good. It was slightly loaded with some sludge that was cleaned from the engine. I was actually rather impressed for a filter that cost under $3.
The 2nd run of Napa oil and Proselect filter began in November and will be ran until approx May.
At that point I will switch it to a better quality filter and a better oil.
I will be interested to see the next Proselect after a 6 month run.

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
But a motorcraft is basically a puro classic that has its fair share of tears.

No, it's not.. Motorcraft filters are different creatures than puro classics. Different specs, different guts.. made BY Puro, but made to Ford specs.

meh I guess they are alright....I don't mind spending the extra money on one with better components though. I have used the cheapie Frams before on my truck with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back