Fram PH3980 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut open a Fram PH3980 orange can to have a look. Filter had a pleat count total of 40. It weighed in at 9.0 oz.. Media total is 44.5 x 3.75=166.88. Seam was completely glued flat, and it looked just fine to me. ADBV was supple.

IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3452.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg

Originally Posted By: skaughtz
Uhg. Not even if I got them for free
grin.gif

What thoughtful insight you shared.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
grin.gif

Please forgive my flippant remark. I shall submit my dissertation on engine oil filters posthaste...

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
grin.gif

Please forgive my flippant remark. I shall submit my dissertation on engine oil filters posthaste...

lol.gif

When I was 16, I went into an auto parts store and they had a display with a Fram, Purolator and WIX cut apart. To this day I have never bought a Fram.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
When I was 16, I went into an auto parts store and they had a display with a Fram, Purolator and WIX cut apart. To this day I have never bought a Fram.

Hey my local Napa has the exact same display. Its even got layers of dust on it.

Originally Posted By: Run

Hey my local Napa has the exact same display. Its even got layers of dust on it.

Well it sure feels like yesterday!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Not bad for a budget filter.
21.gif

I agree.

BUT .....

they cost more than a budget filter.

If they were in the $2.00 range, I'd consider using them.
but at the $4.00 range, you can buy a much better filter. E.G. Napa gold on their semi-annual filter sale.

28.gif

I always find it funny how people are so critical of, say, Castrol because they think the cost of marketing drives up the cost of an otherwise average oil ... but many fail to see the same quality in the Fram ExtraGuard filter. There is nothing in that filter that should cause it to cost what it does....

simply a basic filter sold at a premium price.
nothing more, nothing less.

Keep up the good work
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: meborder
If they were in the $2.00 range, I'd consider using them.
but at the $4.00 range, you can buy a much better filter. E.G. Napa gold on their semi-annual filter sale.

For a long time, this was the de rigueur response anytime someone mentioned the Extra Guard, and the most frequently cited "much better filter" was the Purolator Classic, until many people began to realize that perhaps they were not a better option after all.

I can buy an American-made, 95% efficiency, 5,000 mile PH3980 for $3.77 any day of the year.

If I wait for a sale, find one at a thrift store, buy 6 dozen at a time, or use frequent flyer miles, I can probably get other US-built filters for a similar cost. However, if I had to purchase that filter today for an oil change this weekend, something like the Napa Gold for the equivalent application would cost me nearly twice as much as the Extra Guard ($6.30).

I spend a great deal of time on BITOG, and aside from the aforementioned Purolator, I've yet to see someone offer up an example of a truly "better" filter than the Extra Guard that's available for a wide range of applications, is made in the USA, and costs the same or less at normal retail (not sale, jobber, or bulk) pricing.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Good looking filter. The orange cans have protected millions of vehicles for decades and will continue to do so. ed

That's the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back