Fram Extra Guard PH3980 Cut Open - 5k and Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: driver123
The chevy 3.4 liter and 3.1 suffer from intake and head gasket troubles, mainly due to the dexcool debacle, these engines require intense maintenance of the cooling system. It's wise to flush the cooling system once a year

Let's all just flush the whole deathcool thing okay? Nothing wrong with the coolant, just the design and execution of the gasket and engine.

Dex is so 'bad' even Ford is using it.

I said basically the same thing earlier and driver123 pointed out that the gasket eating tendency of dexcool (2EHA) was a problem with the GM 60* V6. I would have to agree with him on that point and say that dexcool is not a great choice when the i-m gasket can lead to leakage into the oil (wet system) or when air can enter the system (sludge prone).

In a properly engineered system dexcool is an excellent choice, IMO

PS: When I replaced the i-m gasket on my Buick's 3.1 a couple of the bolts were barely more than handtight.......I stand by my statement that if GM used several more bolts along with permatex the problems would have been far less......I'd also add that had they used a non 2-EHA coolant the 3.1 would be known as one of GMs better engines (except for the piston slap which didn't seem to affect longevity).

Counted the pleats on this filter last night, got 39. Started wondering why this Fram looked so good when I've seen so many other bad Fram pics posted. Did a little searching and found most of the "horror" pics involving Fram orange cans are from filters much larger in diameter than this one, like PH8A's and PH16's. And the pleat count on those seems to average 32-35, with much larger gaps than this smaller diameter PH3980.

Maybe all orange cans are not created equal?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Counted the pleats on this filter last night, got 39. Started wondering why this Fram looked so good when I've seen so many other bad Fram pics posted. Did a little searching and found most of the "horror" pics involving Fram orange cans are from filters much larger in diameter than this one, like PH8A's and PH16's. And the pleat count on those seems to average 32-35, with much larger gaps than this smaller diameter PH3980.

Maybe all orange cans are not created equal?
All orange cans are AWESOME!!!
-KevGuy
Seriously, if it doesn't have an ecore, they're OK for SHORT OCIs in my book-but the dreaded ecore is popping up in more places, like the O'Reilly's Microgards I was looking at yesterday, it's just a matter of time...

Looks like it did it's job well at 5k.

That said, I don't like the new cheapened tapping plate used here. Yes it will work, but even the Champ ecore, now part of the same company, touted a secondary tapping plate even/level with the end of the thread boss to make ecore installation easier in blind applications. You'll also notice the tapping plate on the Fram boxes and on Ultra is the improved tapered design, to make installation easier.

Also, while the argument can be made that fiber is as good as metal for oil filter endcaps, there is no way I will pay more for an orange can than a comparable Puro Classic. With the Classic now $3.27 at Wally for all applications that would my choice over the orange can. In the case of the PH7317 application, the orange can at Wally is ~$1.30 more than the comparable L14610 Classic. That, and I prefer metal endcap construction, just me.

Thanks for the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back