FRAM PH3593A - 7,300mi OCI - Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Are you looking at the photos here?

It appears to me that the end caps and filter media have no structural rigidity to keep the filter element within its build tolerances.

I would think partial filtration, at best, was delivered by this filter.

You don't see how it looked when compressed in the filter housing. Everything in those filters is usually very tight before cutting apart.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
No bad for 7300 miles. I'd feel more comfortable with the TG though.

I was going to say the same thing.

I have no problem anymore with Extra Gaurd but I would run it only 3000 miles.

However I think Tough Gaurd is smarter choice.

looks like it held up well for 7300 miles... Im not going to say it did GREAT, but it did hold up.

The Fram website says you can run the OCOD for the recommended OCI in your owners manual. That could be 10K or 15K on some cars.I would not trust it.

Whether one wants to trust it or not is one issue. However, Fram has very little choice but to say so about the orange can. If you specify a filter for an application, you had better be able to stand behind it for the OEM mandated OCI. If Fram says an orange can is good only for 3,000 miles, and someone's Honda calls for a 10,000 mile OCI, what kind of mess do we have going if there were a failure during warranty? One is following manual instructions using a hypothetical part that's specified for a vehicle but cannot do the job as required?

Originally Posted By: evanautumn
I would not be able to sleep at night running that filter for 7k miles, lol.

Thanks for the pics.

Yep....agree.

5,000 would be the max I would run on that filter.

actually i own the engine shop and in all the years i can remember i can only think of two times there was engine damage that could be 99% pinned on a bad filter. Most times if the filter does not filter the damage is done over time and almost never directly attributed to the filter.
I wont use fram and these day i stay clear of purolator will those filters destroy an engine? I prefer not to take the chance.

Just imagine one of these run to 15k, which is the recommended FCI on most pre-MM Hondas (7500 OCI, filter every *other* oil change)

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Just imagine one of these run to 15k, which is the recommended FCI on most pre-MM Hondas (7500 OCI, filter every *other* oil change)

Fram makes the oem Honda filters and they aren't much different than the ocod. Maybe more media like a tg but not far from it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Whether one wants to trust it or not is one issue. However, Fram has very little choice but to say so about the orange can. If you specify a filter for an application, you had better be able to stand behind it for the OEM mandated OCI. If Fram says an orange can is good only for 3,000 miles, and someone's Honda calls for a 10,000 mile OCI, what kind of mess do we have going if there were a failure during warranty? One is following manual instructions using a hypothetical part that's specified for a vehicle but cannot do the job as required?

Hmmm in the owners manual they are talking about FACTORY PARTS.....
So if it says 7000 miles on Oil Filter, I would bet they mean the FACTORY OIL FILTER.

EVEN as you stated the someones HONDA ECT ECT.. Well the HONDA A02 is nearly the same or the same as the FRAM TOUGH GAURD.... They are rated at 10000 miles.

Again... When the owners manual says somthing about ATF or Oil Filters or parts or even matince they are talking about Dealer / factory oil..

We just bought a new Hyundai Sonata Limited loaded with the Paneramic Glass top and the Dealer gave us 12 FREE oil changes.

If you notice pic in our Hundai Sonata Limited it says 7500 miles and they gave us 12 FREE OIL CHANGES and if you take 7500 x 12 you get 90K miles and the Power Train warrenty is 100K miles. However I read the power train warranty, The OCI must be done at a Hyndai dealer with Hyndai fluids and parts. Then went on to say in there own perfect gramer must be From Dealer not not INSTANT OIL CHANGE Places or DIY.

kyrus.jpg

It appears to me that the end caps and filter media have no structural rigidity to keep the filter element within its build tolerances.

What on earth are you talking about? Do you actually understand how oil flows in an oil filter?

David, that would seem to violate the magnuson moss warranty act.

I agree. I read on here a while back Hyundai wouldn't honor any engine warranty work if a failure was due to an aftermarket filter, but that's all I can remember.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
David, that would seem to violate the magnuson moss warranty act.

I agree. I read on here a while back Hyundai wouldn't honor any engine warranty work if a failure was due to an aftermarket filter, but that's all I can remember.

No vehicle manufacturer will cover damage IF the damage is directly caused by an aftermarket part. An engine is still under factory warranty if you use a Wix filter on it. But if a defective Wix (or any aftermarket) filter is the CAUSE of damage, you have to go after the filter mfg.'s warranty coverage for repairs.

I can understand some of concerns but the bottom line is that FRAM delivered.

For 7,300 miles with rpms regularly as high as 5,000 this little $5 guy hung on to the bottom of my engine and kept filtering.

Say whatever you want but it didn't tear. It didn't fail.

OCOD+1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David1
Hmmm in the owners manual they are talking about FACTORY PARTS.....

Or their equivalent. They can't mandate their own parts, but they can expect and/or require minimum quality. If Fram or other oil filter companies want to specify their filter for such a vehicle, they should be up to the task, and a big company like Fram would certainly aim for that.

It looks like it did its job. Keep in mind as already mentioned the metal housing the filter sits in helps to retain its shape.

Originally Posted By: Garak
....They can't mandate their own parts, ....

Actually, if they provide said parts free of charge, they can mandate their own parts under MM warranty act.

On topic, this Fram looks fine considering the interval.

Originally Posted By: JOD

What on earth are you talking about? Do you actually understand how oil flows in an oil filter?

Yes I do.

If this were a FRAM Ultra or a Wix it would have been fine for this OCI.

I can't look at that media cartridge and say I'd like to use that for 7,300 miles in something I own.

Maybe you feel differently.

That's your choice.

^^^ I don't believe this answered JOD's question .... JOD was talking about the way oil flows in an oil filter, not about the OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back