Fram oil filter range-Compared to other

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a Purolator oil filter customer but I've read that they tear and the company. Even though they are owned by Mann-Hummel don't seem to care about their product or customers.My question is how does the Fram range of oil filters compared to Wix/Baldwin and Champ labs rate.I see that the Ultra is a great filter.I see on other boards that Fram is not rated very high.I've used Purolator top of the line synthetic filter and have found no tears but the risk of their other filters is too high to chance.I myself wish Fram would make a thicker canister with metal end caps across their product line.

Just use the Ultra and don't worry out oil filters anymore.
grin.gif

Ultra or Tough Guard is fine.

Purolator Synthetics are fine too as long as you can find them.

But truly - Fram Ultra or FPS.

Champ labs is bankrupt, who knows what you will end up with there in 12 months... Wix is now owned by Mann-Hummel... fine for now but just wait till the bean counters start wondering aloud - why can’t we just make them all the same and put different labels on them....

Originally Posted By: Joeforester
I was a Purolator oil filter customer but I've read that they tear and the company. Even though they are owned by Mann-Hummel don't seem to care about their product or customers.My question is how does the Fram range of oil filters compared to Wix/Baldwin and Champ labs rate.I see that the Ultra is a great filter.I see on other boards that Fram is not rated very high.I've used Purolator top of the line synthetic filter and have found no tears but the risk of their other filters is too high to chance.I myself wish Fram would make a thicker canister with metal end caps across their product line.

I was much like you (I think). Many years ago, I cut apart many filter brands to see how they were made and the medium duty Fram filters had what looked like cardboard end caps and a string (yes a string) tied around the middle to hold it's shape. Terrible. The OEM filters (Toyota) where built like tanks (again, back in the day). Over the last 20 years, I ran mostly the Purolator PureONE or the OEM filter (Kia) exclusively. Both of these seemed like they were built very well and the filtering specs on the PureONE's were very good. Fast forward to me being active on these forums and I started seeing far too many examples of recent vintage Purolators (of all types) have tears in the filter media (very bad!). These got the name "Tearolators" and many attempts at communication with Purolator went unacknowledged. For me, the straw that broke the camels back was when they dumped the PureONE and came out with their "new" product line but W/O actual specs as to their filtering efficiency (I know they say "99+%" but at WHAT particle size??). The OEM filters I've been using on the Kia has unknown filtering efficiency. When I cut open both current vintage Purolator ONE and OEM filters they are both made well (I found no tears in the Purolator but my sample size is very small) but I felt it was time for a change.

Fram Ultra's (~$9 at Wallyworld or Amazon) fit the bill for me. Very well made, excellent published filtering efficiency (ISO standards) and many who've studied them for several years with very good results. That finally sold me. I will use only Fram Ultra's from now on UNLESS or UNTIL they too drop the ball and screw the pooch in quality control like Purolator did. I will be paying attention now and not blindly keep doing what I was doing in the hopes that "all is well". Anyway, that's my story on the subject. I hope that helps you.

Last edited:
FWIW: I'm a fan of Mann-Hummel and use their cartridge filter in my Volvo with good results. I'm hopeful that with the purchase of Purolator their new German owners will clean up the mess and get them back on the right track. Time will tell. Competition is a good thing!

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
FWIW: I'm a fan of Mann-Hummel and use their cartridge filter in my Volvo with good results. I'm hopeful that with the purchase of Purolator their new German owners will clean up the mess and get them back on the right track. Time will tell. Competition is a good thing!

Of course the mess was created by Mann, not the old American brand Purolator before. They had an excellently designed filter, better than Fram in most areas, IMO. All they had to do after buying Purolator was not change anything.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN

Of course the mess was created by Mann, not the old American brand Purolator before. They had an excellently designed filter, better than Fram in most areas, IMO. All they had to do after buying Purolator was not change anything.

Hmm, didn't know that. I thought Mann-Hummel purchased them after the "Tearolator" issues.

FU for 15k, or any other Fram for lesser miles. Amsoil still very good, made by Donaldson last I checked. I may change to FU once my stockpile is used up...

Last edited:
I know the NAPA gold is a great filter, although made by Wix.

Unfortunately for me, many filters don't meet the PSI spec that Subaru requires and the NAPA filter is prone to leaking oils on Subies (don't know why).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back