USA oil-filter manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I'm sure the "inferior spec" OEM Japanese filters are why vehicles from Toyota, for example, often run 3 or 4 hundred thousand miles. The "Boutique" filter makers have to gin up some kind of argument.

It would be a good argument for Japanese-OEM filters making Japanese cars last for 400,000+ miles except almost no one uses them after the warranty period, which is 60,000 miles.

I use nothing but Toyota filters on my Tacoma, and opt for the longer than stock 90915-YZZD3 used on the V8's. For the money, they are hard to beat. $40 for a case of 10, that's enough for 5 years of oil changes for me! I don't see the need to use $15 filters, I don't believe they filter that much better to justify the cost. Ran basic filters like the Toyota OEM's on all my cars and never once had an issue so I see no reason to buy expensive filters when the basic ones get the job done.

Some of the top Japanese oil filter manufacturers are Denso, Tokyo Roki, SPK, and Nitto Kogyo.

Oil filters maybe manufactured in other countries than the company origin which doesn't mean they are of lower quality. The key to have a good quality product is to enforce high levels of quality control and not taking any short cuts in their manufacturing process.

Japanese OEM oil filters seem intended to maximize flow at the expense of filtering efficiency. They are generally of good construction quality. You seemed to be advocating for maximizing oil flow in another thread, so you might want to revisit your choice of oil filter.
Quality has nothing to do with country of manufacture. Quality is always a management decision regardless of where a product is made.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You seemed to be advocating for maximizing oil flow in another thread, so you might want to revisit your choice of oil filter.

No, I wasn't. I only asked if low efficiency (if true) could be intentional by design. I've mostly used Toyota OEM for peace of mind but I'm all for better filtration.

One Finnish magazine rated one Toyota filter with top efficiency and capacity and another Finnish magazine another Toyota filter (if not the same) with bottom efficiency; so, given the lack of test data, it's hard to know what's going on.

The only time the flow restrictiveness of an oil filter matters with a positive displacement oil pump is when the engine RPM is really high and the oil pump goes into pressure relief. So a free flowing oil filter would really only matter on engines that live near redline all the time.

A free flowing oil filter will allow more flow to the engine in that scenario. But if the oil pump is not in pressure relief, then the all the flow coming out the pump must go through the filter & engine, regardless of how restrictive the filter is.

Typically an engine's restriction to flow is about 15 times more than an average oil filter, so the filter being in the system doesn't really have much effect at all on how much flow gets to the engine, unless of course the filter is totally clogged up with debris and/or the pump is in pressure relief a lot of the time.

Re--quality of OEM filters--? I almost always use Fram or ACDelco, but recently purchased 2 Honda OEM A01 (the FILTECH brand) for about 4 bucks each. I know the efficiency of the OEM filter (at 20 mics) is about one half that of the Ultra, but just wanted to try the FILTECH.
Upon dissection after 6 K miles, IMO the internal quality of the FILTECH unit was superior in appearance to any other brand I have taken apart---specifically the dome-end bypass setup-flawless in construction.
For my Honda K24 with 253 K miles, I went back to the Orange Can just for filtering efficiency alone.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back