Fram filter media after 15K miles PHOTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought you motorheads might like to see a picture of a Fram PH8 extra gaurd oil filter that was left on a ford wheelchair van for roughly 15,000 miles with Supertech 10W-30. Interesting how the cardboard is still perfectly in tact. The bent sections are from me using metal sheers to tear the can open.
I know that there has been a lot of discussion about the cardboard end-caps decomposing away after time. This filter was on for about 6 months and the end-caps are just as strong as new filter cardboard end-caps.
Anyways, I thought you guys might like the discussion points of this.

-

Until someone tells me why cardboard endcaps should make the filter more expensive than comparable or better metal endcap filters I ain't buying them. I remember a long time ago (in the 70s or so) some print ad showing a photo of a Rolls Royce on top of a bridge made out of corrugated cardboard - something from the paper industry showing how strong cardboard is. However, I have never seen an actual bridge made out of cardboard since.
cool.gif

I do not understand the big deal about the "cardboard " endcaps .What is the media made from? It is the lack of other guts that makes the fram less than desireable .

The problem isn't the endcap's strength it's the fact that they are used for sealing and ADBV alignment.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by rgl:
Until someone tells me why cardboard endcaps should make the filter more expensive than comparable or better metal endcap filters I ain't buying them. I remember a long time ago (in the 70s or so) some print ad showing a photo of a Rolls Royce on top of a bridge made out of corrugated cardboard - something from the paper industry showing how strong cardboard is. However, I have never seen an actual bridge made out of cardboard since.
cool.gif

Exactly. We have cheaply made products at premium prices because people continually buy them! It's like, duh, do I pay 4 bucks for the ****** Fram, or 2.50 for the beefy purolator? Duh
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Exactly. We have cheaply made products at premium prices because people continually buy them! It's like, duh, do I pay 4 bucks for the ****** Fram, or 2.50 for the beefy purolator? Duh
pat.gif
[/QB]

Fram spends it's money not on designing a top flight product at a reasonable cost but on marketing. And even more on paying for shelf space. Ironically I fell for Fram's advertisements of .."Pay me now or pay me later.."
banghead.gif
. I even payed more for Fram's than Motorcraft's in the local no name auto parts store
shocked.gif
. And for years I had horrible start-up noise and blamed everything except the oil filter. One day they didn't have the Fram size I needed so I had to go to the "second tier" oil filter, Motorcraft. Low and behold NO MORE DRY STARTS! And then ever since no more Fram's
grin.gif

Whimsey

I used to use Frams in the early days of my second Accord. I believe at the time it was a PH6811, which upon every 5k / M1 dissection looked just fine. Later the 6811 was phased out and I started using the 3593A, IIRC. The end caps never failed, but after 5k I would repeatedly find holes blown right through the media where it contacted the holes in the center tube. That was the end of the orange brand for me.

That must be why I saw a bright orange van out front my house with a large dish pointed toward my house. It said "Frams Pizza" on the side, but I'm a bit skeptical.
Sorry Guys. I apparently have a crummy picture host at Yahoo. Every time I post the picture, it goes away within 12 hours.

Okay, you are gonna get married. You can buy a ring that is well below industry standards. It has a poor polish, the diamond (.65 ct) is loose and has obvious flaws that you can see with the naked eye. The cost of this ring: $2,000.

-or-

You can buy a ring that shows quality craftsmanship, looks very nice and has a diamond (.65 ct) that sparkles with no obvious flaws. The cost of this ring: $2,000.

Which one are you gonna buy?

Industry standard for oil filters is metal end caps. Fram's bypass valve has been shown to fail and get stuck open multiple times here. Fram's canister is very thin. Why buy a filter that is manufactured below industry standards when you can get one that is built to standards or better for the same price or cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back