FRAM extraguard really is garbage - check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: tj90
There were no glues or anything.

What's holding the media that is there to the end caps? It sure looks like the media that is there is attached. Did you try pulling the media off the end caps?

Yes - the media was glued. It didnt look like the glue that was on that video that someone posted...

Of course it will - every time we have a solids control problem in industrial applications we go out and find a hole in a filter

Even the orange can is like 95% at fine microns ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Of course it will - every time we have a solids control problem in industrial applications we go out and find a hole in a filter

Even the orange can is like 95% at fine microns ...

95% @ 20 microns and greater ... if the media is 100% intact.

The subject filter might be 5% to 10% you reckon ?

I know some folks here like to minimize the value of oil filters - but small engine mechanics think one of the biggest improvements in recent years came simply by adding spin on filters ...
(That plus disposable air filters - hand in hand)

I try to avoid problems like this when I buy filters by inspecting through the center with a flashlight. If I see anything suspect through those holes, it's a big nope.

Originally Posted By: tj90
I was blown away when I saw missing filter element on this oil filter. I cant believe FRAM allowed this to slip by their quality control. I doesnt look like the filter element eroded away - it was just missing altogether. There were no glues or anything. Stinks to think that engine didnt have any filtering for 7k miles. Disappointed.

Good morning,
Yes, of course FRAM would like to evaluate the filter. You have to contact [email protected]. You can also call 888-889-8374. This is what will transpire. They will email you a form and pre-paid shipping document. You send in the filter. We will evaluate the filter and report back to you. The filter is your legal property and we will return it to you if you want it back. I will not pass any judgement or comment until the filter is inspected in engineering, anything said now is just speculation. I am calling them immediately after I send this to let them know you will be contacting them. If you would like to discuss this with me, my email is [email protected] and cell number is 248-808-4551.

I agree with Jay here; to early to call a root cause. Speculation is fine; nothing wrong with tossing theories into the mix, for discussion, as long as we don't come to a conclusion without solid info.

I've worked OEM manufacturing my entire adult life (automotive and HVAC). Mistakes happen; nothing is 100% pure and good. I will not, however, subscribe to a theory that this is a rampant issue. This is a bad filter; it's going to be painful for Fram to have to discuss. But I don't think it's in any way systemic for their products.

I can assure you with great certainty that Amsoil, Mobil 1, Bosch, Wix and others have factory mistakes that make it into the field. Nothing is perfect.

If the OP has an oil sample from this load, it would be interesting to see the wear metals and really find out how "bad" this ended up being. I would offer that, while not desirable whatsoever, nothing horrid likely happened to the engine as long as all the rest of the systems (air filteration, coolant system integrity, etc) were all in good shape.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
does it not say fram extra guard on both sides.. the pictures are of 2 different sides of the can?

Also their glued porous argument doesnt hold up.

Because the premium filters arent engineered media endcaps.

It might be "ok" but certainly not better or best (or even good IMO)

Another fram hater. If you read the threads about our Ultra filter, I have explained many times why it has metal end caps but again here goes. Synthetic media has no structural strength like pleated cellulose/synthetic media does. So ALL syn media filters will have some kind of backing. FRAM and WiX use metal screen backing, others use a pleated plasctic screen. The flanged end caps in Ultra are needed to capture the metal screen. There are so many filter companies now using end caps other than metal it just ruins the whole end cap argument. Why no issue with MANN filters that use only glue for end caps? What about plastic end caps? What about synthetic glass end caps? What about Toyota OE filters with NO end caps? They all junk?

Millions and millions used - no issues. On the other hand - 3.7 billion passengers can fly each year and you will not hear the good stories...

Thats the most effective bypass system I've ever seen in an oil filter. Bravo.

K

Perhaps it was one of those "display only" cutaway filters not meant for retail sale/use? It may have accidentally gotten sent in a regular box.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Perhaps it was one of those "display only" cutaway filters not meant for retail sale/use? It may have accidentally gotten sent in a regular box.

This can't be be it, as the cut-away would have been dome after assembly. Also, the entire manufacturing process is heavily automated and doesn't allow for alterations. It is either good or bad, and if it is bad it should be rejected before it is boxed. As we have seen with all brands, occasionally one can get by the QA process.

The good thing: I don't think this is a design issue. This is the only Fram with this issue we have seen here that I can remember. It isn't a pattern of failures like we have seen with the tearing Purolator oil filters. This seems to be a manufacturing issue that hopefully impacted just one filter. However until it is analyzed, all we can do is speculate.

The fiber end cap nubs seem worn, or beat up. I've seen that on others here. The nubs center the adbv on the crown of the inward curved baseplate. A good knock on the filter could dislodge the adbv enough to the side to leak IMO.

Originally Posted By: jim302
Also, the entire manufacturing process is heavily automated and doesn't allow for alterations. It is either good or bad, and if it is bad it should be rejected before it is boxed. As we have seen with all brands, occasionally one can get by the QA process.

Let's assume they are idiots and failed to monitor final assembly with image sensors (before the outer can goes on). Or, their image computer was down and the machine continued to run.

This would have had to be the end of a long stretch of accordion element, or it got cut too short.

It stinks when there is any "bad" filter cut open. I have been there (two filters actually). But look on the bright side...

The good news is that hopefully the BITOG will be C&P a lot of Fram filters in the next few months. If we have to produce a spreadsheet of 60+ confirmed failures like the Tearolator debacle, then we know there is a design or manufacturing issue.

Did folks see the orange can go 9,300 some miles?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
If the OP has an oil sample from this load, it would be interesting to see the wear metals and really find out how "bad" this ended up being. I would offer that, while not desirable whatsoever, nothing horrid likely happened to the engine as long as all the rest of the systems (air filteration, coolant system integrity, etc) were all in good shape.

Correct - Type I Volkswagens use "screen door screen" for their "oil filter".

I will speculate this: The new XG Fram he put on will do its job nicely, and likely will have no more particles in it than it normally would have. I also speculate a UOA will show no real damage was done.

I'm not trying to defend Fram's fault here,
just saying that in all reality the engine is probably fine.

What's worse than this is the people that don't do any regular oil changes at all.

Crummy deal for sure. No denying that.

As I have said before, it's good to see a company rep express concern and recognition of a problem and attempt to investigate and resolve. Pretty much any other oil company would attempt to deny or ignore.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Crummy deal for sure. No denying that.

As I have said before, it's good to see a company rep express concern and recognition of a problem and attempt to investigate and resolve. Pretty much any other oil company would attempt to deny or ignore.

Too bad Purolator doesn't practice this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back