Fram ExtraGuard PH7317 With Titanium's pattern of Baseplate Holes

I purchased this ExtraGuard today at my local WalMart. In following BITOG protocols I took it out of the box and inspected it. The baseplate holes are in the shape of the Titanium filter with the "FRAM POWERFLOW™ TECHNOLOGY".

The filter was manufactured on July 20, 2023. There is nothing on the Fram website advertising they are adding this feature to the ExtraGuard line.

A couple theories:
1. They had excess stock of the Titanium base plates and used them on the ExtraGuards
2. There was a scheduling conflict in stamping and they couldn't switch over the die for ExtraGuard baseplates so they kept running Titaniums and used them on the ExtraGuards.

Would appreciate to hear other possible causes!

Attachments

• 20230813_125332.jpg
    20230813_125332.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230813_124947.jpg
    20230813_124947.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20230813_124931.jpg
    20230813_124931.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20230813_125017.jpg
    20230813_125017.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 87
I purchased this ExtraGuard today at my local WalMart. In following BITOG protocols I took it out of the box and inspected it. The baseplate holes are in the shape of the Titanium filter with the "FRAM POWERFLOW™ TECHNOLOGY".

The filter was manufactured on July 20, 2023. There is nothing on the Fram website advertising they are adding this feature to the ExtraGuard line.

A couple theories:
1. They had excess stock of the Titanium base plates and used them on the ExtraGuards
2. There was a scheduling conflict in stamping and they couldn't switch over the die for ExtraGuard baseplates so they kept running Titaniums and used them on the ExtraGuards.

I changed your title to reflect the context of your post.

You had me there for awhile with the Titanium (as in titanium metal) baseplate. :unsure: :)

A couple theories:

At least it has a silicone A.D.B.V. instead of the nitrile that was used for a period of time . About a month ago found some with the nitrile A.D.B.V. at HOME DEPOT .

A couple theories:

Hope the EG media can stand up to the “Power Flow”! 🤣

I got a Titanium FS3506 from Advanced Auto with a bypass valve for a 2003 ZO6. This application should not have a bypass valve as confirmed by the Fram website. I returned the FS3506 at AA, I got the Fram Endurance at WalMart instead. Looked of better quality and no bypass.

Anything is possible in the oil filter world these days. Maybe Fram decided to make just one baseplate configuration and save some production costs. 🤷‍♂️

Get a "Tornado" for your intake and that combined with that "Powerflow" Fram will lift the front wheels right off the ground, lol.
LOL Back in the mid 90s I had a Tornado on my 1990 Chevy S10! If only I could have coupled it with the power flow Fram... :unsure:

BTW does a "gadget/scam" thread exist on BITOG? I was not able to find one.

BTW does a "gadget/scam" thread exist on BITOG? I was not able to find one.
There have been many over the years, here are a few. They all prey on a lack of understanding basic physics (or chemistry):

There have been many over the years, here are a few. They all prey on a lack of understanding basic physics (or chemistry):

Does anyone remember the oil additive that the infomercial had cars driving around a track with drained oil pans? Bob Uubanks, former Newly Wed game host did the announcing.

Does anyone remember the oil additive that the infomercial had cars driving around a track with drained oil pans? Bob Uubanks, former Newly Wed game host did the announcing.
The key there is load. The persistent oil film will protect for quite a while under no or light load.

There have been variations of this since the early days of automobiles. My dad told me about a snake oil salesman who came to town when he a teenager (the 1930s) who dropped the oil plug on his car, drove it for about 20 miles with the public invited to follow him and he would come back to town and sell his product. He would then install the oil plug, add oil and go to the next town. Shenanigans here? I’m guessing a trick oil pan.
About 10 years ago, I was at our state fair where they had a Chevy inline 6-cylinder running for 10 straight days…with no oil pan and the rotating assembly was visible to all. They were, of course , hawking some miraculous oil additive. Were roller bearings installed to accomplish this? Who knows? They were obviously pretty confident on day 1 that it would make it the full 10 days.

Back