Holes.... What's with the holes?

Holes... I know how we love to dissect filters here. (Literally) Seeing how there's a thread on louvers and all.

I've noticed "most" holes in the base plates of filters are round. They differ in size and quantity. There are some oval and teardrop (FRAM Titanium) for example.

I just wonder if there's a reason for such different manufacturing? Flow control? Does anyone really believe the "teardop" marketing from FRAM?

My only concern would be "restriction". I've always been a WIX user but just installed my first FRAM filter the other day. (XG3387A) You 20 micron guys won me over. ;)

I noticed the FRAM holes to be much smaller in diameter than the WIX filters. (At least for this model.) The Supertech has 13-holes! Smaller...but 13!

Just an observation on filter holes... Not sure if it means anything...

Fram 2 Buick.png

Delco_Wix.png

Supertech K N.png

fram.png

Purolator.png
Baldwin Hengst.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been hashed many times. Measure the ID of the oil filter mounting spud and calculated the flow area. Then measure a baseplate inlet hole, and calculate the hole area, then multiple that by the number of holes. Compare that total area to the mount spud flow area. Is the total area of the baseplate inlet holes the same or more? If so, it's nothing to worry about when a PD oil pump is forcing oil flow through an oil filter.

This has been hashed many times. Measure the ID of the oil filter mounting spud and calculated the flow area. Then measure a baseplate inlet hole, and calculate the hole area, then multiple that by the number of holes. Compare that total area to the mount spud flow area. Is the total area of the baseplate inlet holes the same or more? If so, it's nothing to worry about when a PD oil pump is forcing oil flow through an oil filter.
Makes sense. Just wondering if there were any other advantages to "shape". Outside a circle, are the rest just marketing? Design experiments?

Makes sense. Just wondering if there were any other advantages to "shape". Outside a circle, are the rest just marketing? Design experiments?
I don't think the shape, like the "tear drop" holes on the Titanium", will make any difference. Once the oil goes through the base plate holes and hits the ADBV, makes some turbulent flow turns into the media area, any effect from the hole shape is long lost.

... Outside a circle, are the rest just marketing? ...
Pretty much. Some designers go for gimmicks and cute shapes or hole patterns they hope you'll think are pretty. Some stick with simple and slightly cheaper to manufacture. Functionally, there's not a nickel's worth of difference.

I don't get wrapped up with the hole size. Wouldn't you think the engineers have evaluated oil flow through their filters and not just randomly had holes drilled out to look pretty?

I'd be willing to wager money that ALL the inlet holes pictured, regardless of size or shape, have a total combined area at least equal to but more likely greater than the inner diameter area of the engine block mounting stud. Therefore, all good.

However, based on comments here and other places like youtube, seems a difficult concept for some to grasp.

I don't get wrapped up with the hole size. Wouldn't you think the engineers have evaluated oil flow through their filters and not just randomly had holes drilled out to look pretty?

People are looking at the holes, don't you think some marketing gimmick here could help sales?

Only way to find out is put the filter on a test rig with pressure gauges on the inlet/outlet and see that the delta-P looks like. It’s more than holes - it’s the media and how it’s built n

Only way to find out is put the filter on a test rig with pressure gauges on the inlet/outlet and see that the delta-P looks like. It’s more than holes - it’s the media and how it’s built.
I think one part of ISO 4548 deals with determining the delta-p of the media element vs the delta-p of the can assembly (base inlet holes and center tube). The media assembly will be the majority of the whole filter delta-p, and the can assembly will be much less of the total.

On my old NISSAN filters made in China, there was no room for oil to flow around the cardboard endcaps inside, Maybe 7 to 10 thousandths in some spots but contacting the can along much or the perimeter.!

So inlet holes were the least of the problem. And, Yes, it ruined a new engine.

nissan filter.JPG

Back