Found something interesting in my PP bottle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed a dark settling of material in numerous oil containers over the years. I always vigorously shake all containers before using them. This includes gear lubes.

aehaas

Quote:

I don't get it. What does Jack Bauer and "24" have to do with Pennzoil?
confused.gif

Well, Kiefer works for Napa. When he joined BITOG, they received two cases of Pennzoil. Each case of Pennzoil has 12 bottles. Two cases times 12 equals 24. That night, a new episode of "24" was airing on TV and KieferS was so creeped out by this that he swore off Pennzoil and traded in his Expedition, which the Ford dealer gave him 2,400 for in trade.

Sorry, I watched the movie "23" last night.
smile.gif

He made false claims about pennzoil and is covering up by using "Jack Bauer" and some nonsense
confused.gif

All this talk about shaking the bottle. I did shake the last bottle for about 10+ seconds vigorously, and it still had the same sediment junk on the bottom. The sediment would not drain, it was stuck to the bottom. The oil was not old, the newest bottle showed it was made in May 2007. It was stored in my garage, but I doubt temps there ever reached more than 110F.

Not to mention, the sediment was found on all 6 bottles, some were old label, some new. Some bottled back in '06, some May '07.

I can see his concern . Vehicles aren't pocket change for everyone . If engine failure ever occurred , be difficult to prove it was the oil . Probably give reason for failure due to poor maintenance , poor driving habits , etc..
whistle.gif

Pennzoil never gave me any engine failures..i thought it'd be funny, sorry..guess it wasn't.

I've used PP for an OCI, my mothers 2.2 Camry still using it from a bogo deal 6 months ago. nothing to say about it.
The company still supports Slick 50.. they sell it with some of there oils.
I'm sure it's a quality motor oil but I just don't prefer it.
My post was ignorant and I tried to make light of it by cracking a joke (albiet a bad one)

no problem , does have it's humorous side tho . I too tried to enlighten the matter . Currently using PENNZOIL:S.U.V syn-blend in the 1 car , used the PLATINUM previous to that , and will be switching to the conventional PENNZOIL . Does make me a bit twitchy .
wink.gif
See what I mean , eyelid has a nervous tick .

I just put a 5 Gallon Jug & 1 Qt. bottle of PP in my GMC Truck 2 days ago.

Luckily, I did not see any sediment in the last drops or in the funnel...

Quote:

Interesting, I've never noticed that in any of my Mobil 1 bottles (sorry, I couldn't resist!)

(visions of Airplane - imagine thought cloud)

"That's funny. John never vomits at home
confused.gif
"

Quote:

Well several things:
1. I did not nor do not think it is serious.
2. With all the emails and phone calls to the tech folks, they are the one's that should answer these technical questions.
3. If I would have given an answer, it would have been the same responce the phone tech gave.
4. I don't have a clue what Shell is doing anymore.
5. Proof is in the UOA's

Johnny,
Thanks ... I agree the proof is in the UOAs as PP has given me the best results by far.

However we do not know that perhaps a poor set of returns is on the horizon. I'm not suggesting that the deposits are what would cause this, but as you yourself mention, you and I both don't know what Shell is doing.

FWISW: I checked my a half bottle, December dates, and it DID have the same sediments left over on the bottom. I shook that half bottle very well before pouring it out into an empty bottle. The stuff was there for sure.... I could not nearly gather it on my finger as in the original pic... it seems to simply disperse into 'oil' upon inspection.

I just completed an oil change with PP 10w-30. I noticed the same thing in the bottom of all of the quart containers. Dark spots stays at the bottom when shaken well. This was 7-10-06 dated oil.

I am a little concerned because I have never noticed this in any other oil containers before. Not that I look inside everyone of them.

I would like to know what these spots are.
confused.gif

Quote:

However we do not know that perhaps a poor set of returns is on the horizon.

Chose to go with PP today for my OC. Jun06 & Dec06 Vintages. Took a look for the first time & there were 'additive residue' @ the bottom of the empty bottles.
Basically a ring.

Never noticed it before, but I previously did 2 UOA's with those vintages above - I had bought a big old stash last summer & Some of today's PP were from that stash. Those 2 prior UOAs came out stellar.

This issue is close in my book.

Quote:

I changed my oil the other night and put in some Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 for the first time. I was looking forward to trying it after hearing about how great it was on this site. Anyway, got all the way done and was pouring the last quart in when I noticed the bottom of the container. It had some brown looking sediment or something in it. I checked all the containers and they all had it to some degree, some worse than others. I had not poured all the oil out of the last quart, so I shook it up really well, then poured the rest into the engine. It still had the brown stuff on the bottom.

Apparently some of the additive or something settled out to the bottom. What could that have been and should I be concerned enough to drain it now, drain it early, or fugetaboutit?

Here's some pics I took.
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/theedge67/?action=view&current=P7310093.jpg

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/theedge67/?action=view&current=P7310090.jpg

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/theedge67/?action=view&current=P7310089.jpg

hide.gif

just did oil change last night using the regular PENNZOIL ( Ol'YELLA ) and looked thru the bottle neck and found no residue in the 4 quarts of 5w-30 ( shook those for over 5 minutes ) . As for the PLATINUM bottle , cut that open close to the bottom with razor blade knife and found some brown residue . No slime was present in bottom when wiped finger in it . Did shake the living cr_p out of the PLATINUM for over a minute , then poured it into leftover bottle of the PENNZOIL S.U.V. blend that'll be used for mower top off and refill next spring . The S.U.V. blend which is 30% syn ( assume PLATINUM ) and 70% regular PENNZOIL had no residue in it ( after violenlty shaking for few minutes ) , so must be just the PLATINUM has this issue . I plan to shake all 24 bottles of the different PENNZOIL at least every few months . Last , will be putting about 4 quarts of the PLATINUM 5w-30 ( dated DEC '06 )in our '07 PRIUS at about 5,800 mis. for its second oil change .
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back