Forester Tires

New tires installed! They called me back and said one lug nut was seized (I was watching and noticed they skipped a tire and took the rest off...so it made sense) and wanted my opinion on what Iwanted them to do. They even let me watch them bust the lug nut free. Sheared the bolt right off. Got it replaced at a different shop as DT doesn't do that type of work. I don't think it was DT's fault, from the bit I was watching. The dealer touched it last so I called them. The service advisor pretty much said it was probably cross threaded by them and to bring it in or bring them a receipt and they'd take care of me 😱 I was shocked at the honesty at least. Plan on chatting during my next oil change to see what they'll do about it. Both places said it's not super common but does happen. One mechanic quoted me $250ish to replace the wheel stud 🤔 I got it done in 15 minutes for under $50. Weird. I had it fixed at a reputable tire place and the guy's eyes bulged out when I said they quoted $250 at another place. He said, "I'll gladly charge you $250 for the 10 minutes it took me" and laughed. Supposedly Subarus (according to the always truthful Internet searches) have weird lug studs. Anyone able to confirm or deny Subarus having weird lug stud issues? Tires are super smooth and quiet, after a 5ish miles freeway drive to get the lug stud replaced. Opinions, comments?

Subaru does have issues with lug nuts and studs that others just don't seem to have :poop:
Internet folklore seems to say they have different distances between the thread and tapering or something. Anyway, all turned out well it seems, aside from the "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" thoughts at first. All in all, minor annoyance especially if in a couple weeks when I get an oil change they cover all or part of the cost like the service advisor seemed to say they would. Can't fault anyone really, if they make it right.

Anything on a Subaru is probably weird.

We had issues with the lugs on our Kia van and the (reputable) tire shop did say they had run into it before with Kia. 2012 model.

Internet folklore seems to say they have different distances between the thread and tapering or something. Anyway, all turned out well it seems, aside from the "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" thoughts at first. All in all, minor annoyance especially if in a couple weeks when I get an oil change they cover all or part of the cost like the service advisor seemed to say they would. Can't fault anyone really, if they make it right.
It is somewhat common on Subaru’s. I think it has something to do with being 12x1.25 instead of 12x1.5. They are also quite susceptible to galling. IME, they tend to seize up for no apparent reason.

Do you r/r your lug nuts by hand?
I did find a TSB concerning rusted lug nuts on a Subaru forum. Said they change them out and have some oil or something in the updated ones to keep from rusting/seizing. If my memory from a couple days back is serving me...

I did find a TSB concerning rusted lug nuts on a Subaru forum. Said they change them out and have some oil or something in the updated ones to keep from rusting/seizing. If my memory from a couple days back is serving me...

The other tire to consider would be the Michelin Primacy, if they make that tire in your size. Might ride smoother.

It is somewhat common on Subaru’s. I think it has something to do with being 12x1.25 instead of 12x1.5. They are also quite susceptible to galling. IME, they tend to seize up for no apparent reason.

Nissan uses the same size thread Subaru uses, yet they don't have the widespread problems Subaru has with them :unsure:

Back