Mileage Rating

I've never had a tire live a short life. They always surpass their mileage rating. OEM Yokohama G91F on the Forester, 67,000 miles, have 6/32nds left across entire tread. Michelin Primacy MXV4 (I think) on Corolla OEM tires, 60k with 5/32nds left. Done the same with Goodyear and Firestone and Cooper and Toyo in my life. How do people gripe about getting half the life? Do they not rotate regularly (I do every 7500)? Drive like they're in NASCAR? I don't get it.

I've never had a tire live a short life. They always surpass their mileage rating. OEM Yokohama G91F on the Forester, 67,000 miles, have 6/32nds left across entire tread. Michelin Primacy MXV4 (I think) on Corolla OEM tires, 60k with 5/32nds left. Done the same with Goodyear and Firestone and Cooper and Toyo in my life. How do people gripe about getting half the life? Do they not rotate regularly (I do every 7500)? Drive like they're in NASCAR? I don't get it.

I think a lot has to do with the roads where you are driving as well as driving style. I'm in the Northeast in a rather hilly and curvy area. Tire compound also has A LOT to do with it. I love Vredestein tires, but they are soft and do not last very long, at least for me. The vehicle also depends. I find my 17 Outback AWD system rounds out the tires on the outward edge, regardless of 5k rotations. I had the same issue with BMW 3 series AWD. Many factors determine tire longevity. Some are simply out of the owner's control.

I live in Ohio, many curves and hills, gravel roads. No matter what brand of tires I usually average around 35,000 miles for a set of tires. Best I ever got was close to 40,000. And I wouldn‘t say I’m a spirited driver either, I’m pretty layed back. I do 5000 mile rotations. And this was on 3 Honda’s, 1 Ford, and a Mazda.

I live in Ohio, many curves and hills, gravel roads. No matter what brand of tires I usually average around 35,000 miles for a set of tires. Best I ever got was close to 40,000. And I wouldn‘t say I’m a spirited driver either, I’m pretty layed back. I do 5000 mile rotations. And this was on 3 Honda’s, 1 Ford, and a Mazda.

That is similar to my experience on multiple vehicles.

How you drive matters. I tend to accelerate and corner harder than the average driver. So in the spirited cars I've owned, WRX, GTI, Elantra Sport Turbo, a set would only last about 20K despite rotating every 5K when I changed the oil. Who cares, I can afford it.

Another note: This is BITOG, I've concluded many members here seem to brag about something in their life. How cheap they are, How many miles they can get on a set of tires beyond the treadwear warranty, how well off they are, how they are a genius with their retirement goals, how hot their wife is... .

How you drive matters. I tend to accelerate and corner harder than the average driver. So in the spirited cars I've owned, WRX, GTI, Elantra Sport Turbo, a set would only last about 20K despite rotating every 5K when I changed the oil. Who cares, I can afford it.

Another note: This is BITOG, I've concluded many members here seem to brag about something in their life. How cheap they are, How many miles they can get on a set of tires beyond the treadwear warranty, how well off they are, how they are a genius with their retirement goals, how hot their wife is... .
How they can afford new tires every 20k...

Not bragging. I've lived in multiple places in the US, far apart. Currently in the Northwest. Lots of different road conditions. I've just never experienced the "longest I've had a tire last is 40k" type thing unless buying a tire with a 40k warranty. I've just found any name brand I've purchased seems to last. And, yes, I drive moderately. Slow stops, not fast cornering, moderate acceleration. What 32nds do you all replace tires at?

And my wife is SMOKIN hot 🔥🔥🔥🔥🤩🤩🤩

Longest was Michelin LTX on a Jeep wrangler that went 100k with mostly highway miles. Still had about 3/32 but wouldn't stay balanced.

Usually replace when wet traction starts going away, it has been pretty tire and vehicle dependent.

I never rotate, and on the sonata, all 4 Continental tires wear evenly somehow. But they might have a slightly shorter life of about 30K because of the "grip". The OEM tires lasted under 20K. So that extra 10K is not too bad.
On the elantra the tires are too new to see what kind of life im going to get out of them, but it seems Hyundais in general are a little harder on tires then other manufacturers.

How they can afford new tires every 20k...

Not bragging. I've lived in multiple places in the US, far apart. Currently in the Northwest. Lots of different road conditions. I've just never experienced the "longest I've had a tire last is 40k" type thing unless buying a tire with a 40k warranty. I've just found any name brand I've purchased seems to last. And, yes, I drive moderately. Slow stops, not fast cornering, moderate acceleration. What 32nds do you all replace tires at?
I usually replace at the wear bars or very close to them when wet traction is starts to disappear. Currently have all season Nitto tires on my mazda now, rated at 65000 miles. I am at 34,000 miles on them and I’m almost to the wear bars. I’m planning on replacing them at the end of September/early October so I’ll have fresh tires for winter.

I usually replace at the wear bars or very close to them when wet traction is starts to disappear. Currently have all season Nitto tires on my mazda now, rated at 65000 miles. I am at 34,000 miles on them and I’m almost to the wear bars. I’m planning on replacing them at the end of September/early October so I’ll have fresh tires for winter.
Yeah, 40k on a 65k tire. I've never experienced that. Do you corner hard, drive fast, stop fast, lots of in town corners? Just curious, as I'd be livid if my tires lasted that long.

I wore out a set of Ironman tires on my 300 in 32’ish, too many smokey burnouts lol. They’ll be replaced before winter. Not complaining though, it is what it is and I have no one to blame but myself. Probably drive nicer once I get some KO2’s or whatever.

Subarus are also extremely easy on tires. Every Subaru in our family has always doubled the rated mileage on their tires. I think it’s because of how little power they have combined with how their power is so evenly distributed to each wheel.

Yeah, 40k on a 65k tire. I've never experienced that. Do you corner hard, drive fast, stop fast, lots of in town corners? Just curious, as I'd be livid if my tires lasted that long.
Nope I actually drive like a grandpa most of the time. Every once in awhile I’ll drive a little spirited on some rural paved back roads for some fun but it’s still not like I’m driving really fast. I coast most of the time to a stop. Just had my brakes checked at 65,000 miles and they said I still had a lot of life left.
Actually the worst I had was the factory tires on my Element only lasted 17,000 miles. And I had a set of Michelin’s on my Ridgeline that only lasted around 23,000 miles.
I think it’s mainly because of the hills, curves, and gravel.

I’m looking into Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires for my next ones, so we’ll see how those do.

I've never had a tire last 40,000 miles on any vehicle I've owned even though I rotate regularly and drive like a grandpa. The worst is the Goodyear tires on my wifes fusion 25,000 miles and at 4/32nds I now just buy 50,000 all season tires and "hope" to get to 40,000. We've owned trucks, minivans, midsize and small sedans dosen't matter.

I typically buy tires that have a 60-70k treadlife and usually get just around that before they’re at or near the wear bars. I buy new tires every 4yrs or so. I think keeping the tires properly inflated helps a lot.

If I step back and assess what the biggest factors are in determining tire wear, the first one on the list is "turns-per-mile". Another way to say this is country driving vs city driving.

Most tire wear occurs in the cornering mode. Driving straight is practically free.

That's because slip angles grind off rubber. Anything that generates a slip angle hurts tire wear.

So low inflation pressure, "spirited" driving, misalignment, etc. all make things worse.

If I step back and assess what the biggest factors are in determining tire wear, the first one on the list is "turns-per-mile". Another way to say this is country driving vs city driving.
I had a good friend, now deceased, who designed tires for Michelin (we're in Greenville SC). He 100% agreed with you. The material of highway construction was a close 2nd; concrete wore tires much faster than asphalt. Grade changes was 3rd; highway driving to/from Asheville (about 50 miles) "cost" more wear than to/from Charleston (about 180 miles)

Subarus are also extremely easy on tires. Every Subaru in our family has always doubled the rated mileage on their tires. I think it’s because of how little power they have combined with how their power is so evenly distributed to each wheel.

Sure hasn't been my experience on 17 OB 95k miles and 3 sets of tires. AWD system rounds out the far end of the treads on all 3 sets rather equally. Same issues I had with BMW 3 series.

Back