Mileage Rating

My son’s 2020 Impreza Premium with 40,000 miles still had 8/32” on the original tires. New they are 9/32” tread. They are marketed as a 40,000 mile tire. Albeit he commutes 140 miles a day, all highway.

Continebtal PROCONTACT TX​

C49B7968-08C1-476E-9AD3-B17A6DFCE677.jpeg

I'm at suspected 27k on a set of ExtremeContact DWS06 and I'm nearing the wear bars

Wet grip is erratic and scary

NYC is hard on tires, and I made maximum use of them, but I'm still kinda disappointed from a 560 TW rating

They made 3 summers, maybe a little of next spring while I do suspension maintenance before alignment

Why trash new ones?

IMHO, it also depends on the pavement you drive, some pavement can chew up tires much faster than other. Different states and even counties may have big differences in that regard.

I have never gotten the mileage rating out of a tire(s). Typically I need to replace tires when they just don't perform in foul weather any longer which could be between 3/32nds & 4/32nds(and some tires, even 5/32nds).

Foul weather doesn't just mean SNOW/SLUSH, it could mean that nasty rainstorm when the wipers are on HIGH SPEED and it's nighttime.

And too, the tires may only have ~35K-40K miles on them when they're rated for much higher(60K-70K). I suppose that if I lived in a climate where it never snowed, I could push them further toward that 2/32nd of tread life however, even when I run winter tires separately, those A/S tires that I'm speaking of just don't feel right anymore when the tread is getting past the half way point.

Oh sure, even when tires get worn past my comfort zone, said tires perform just fine on a beautiful sunny day in JUNE. But when it rains and the wind picks up and you're on the hiwy and it's DARK outside, I want better for me & my family.

Yeah, there's more to it than just the above^^^ but, you get my meaning? And I'm sticking to it! 🤞

Last edited:
^^^ In addition to my above statement, I personally believe that if a tire starts out at 10/32nd(as most do), then to me, the real 1/2 tread IS NOT 5/32nd, it's 6/32nd. And here's why I believe this...using 10/32nd for this comparison even though I know some start with 11 or 12/32nd.

For this example, a tire starting out with 10/32nd of tread depth, [AND] we can only legally take the tire to 2/32nds, this means that there is ONLY 8/32nds of real tread depth to work with, RIGHT? So in reality, 6/32nd is actually the real 1/2 way tread mark.

And I'm sticking to this belief. :coffee:

The owner of the one million mile Subaru Crosstrek uses the Nankang SP-9 Cross Sport tires which is a $75 tire, and he gets 80,000 miles out of a set. I would not be surprised if my son’s Impreza gets close to 100,000 from the original Continentals.

Back