FordTruck Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just watching Motorweek (great show!) and was wondering something. I owned a 1997 Ford F-150 with the 4.6L V8 a few years back. Motoweek was covering the 2010 F-150. This year, it has the following engines:

4.6L V8 (2V per cylinder)
4.6L V8 (3V per cylinder)
5.4L V8 (3V per cylinder)

Ford had a 4V version of the 4.6L and 5.4L in some a few car applications (Mercury Marauder, Mustang, Lincoln Aviator, Lincoln Continental, Lincoln Mark VIII).

Why not the truck engine? I would think this would be an easy way to implement a power bump and MPG bump in a new model.

Cost. The three-valve is set up for mass production for the Explorer, Mustang GT, etc. I don't know why they don't use the 3V head in the Crown Victoria, but anyways.

Simple: cost and timing.

The 3V came about under CEO Jaq Nasser, bean counter extraordinaire, in the days before the Nissan Titan 5.6 and 5.7L Tundra.

It was cheaper to produce than the 4V, and offered more power than the 2V. Win, win in Ford's eyes back in 2001-2002 when they were moving forward with the 3V.

To me, the 3V exemplifies the problems with Ford management back in the early 2000s. They were looking for "good enough" when they should have been going for the kill.

But that's all changed now, and a new 5.0L 4V with TiVCT is going to be in the Mustang GT and F150 next year.

http://mustangs.about.com/b/2009/05/19/work-continues-on-fords-400-hp-coyote-50l-engine.htm

EDIT: As to 4V fitment issues, there were none. Just see the Lincoln Blackwood for reference. The 3V was a bean counter driven program.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
EDIT: As to 4V fitment issues, there were none. Just see the Lincoln Blackwood for reference. The 3V was a bean counter driven program.

which is why i said supposed. its funny when you get time to pick an engineers brain. also when you ask such challenging questions such as what coating did they use on the Ford GT main and rod bearings.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Simple: cost and timing.

The 3V came about under CEO Jaq Nasser, bean counter extraordinaire, in the days before the Nissan Titan 5.6 and 5.7L Tundra.

It was cheaper to produce than the 4V, and offered more power than the 2V. Win, win in Ford's eyes back in 2001-2002 when they were moving forward with the 3V.

To me, the 3V exemplifies the problems with Ford management back in the early 2000s. They were looking for "good enough" when they should have been going for the kill.

But that's all changed now, and a new 5.0L 4V with TiVCT is going to be in the Mustang GT and F150 next year.

http://mustangs.about.com/b/2009/05/19/work-continues-on-fords-400-hp-coyote-50l-engine.htm

Ah, Tks for this...good read. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back